THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    high or top grade California english vs true circassian walnut
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

high or top grade California english vs true circassian walnut
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering what where the oppinions of those who have a good knowledge of wood.Does the California english generally weigh more,if so by how much? I did a search and found the California wood being reffered to as cork screw wood.I also read where it was reffered to as the best walnut.Can California english be as good or better than wild or true circassian?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Both are excellent for gunstocks and should be judged on a blank by blank basis.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
+1

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Well, here's a look a an piece of exhibition grade California walnut. You decide.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful,GSSP! A classic for sure!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Hansen:
What is the caliber of the rifle you are stocking? That, may definitely influence your decision on the wood you select.

I'm not a wood expert, but I make it a habit to use the heck out of the 'Search' feature, before asking questions. There is an absolute ton of information, to be mined, from prior posts, on almost any given topic.

Good luck!
Hansen,all I do is search.The wood is for a Lott.I already chose the wood for my Vektor action and it is a superb piece of english walnut.I am thinking about the wood for my second 458 lott action,a Satterlee.For that,I am thinking about doing something Rigby like.I am inspired by the old Rigby rifles-they are my favorite.If I am not mistaken,many Rigby rifles have a dark,monotone circassian stock.I've located a couple of blanks in England and I am waiting for a response.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course they are both the same species, juglans regia. The difference is geography and age for the most part.

It matters not where the wood was grown but that the blank is dense for your rifle as a 458 lott does indeed kick especially if it is stocked up not so much when the loads are reduced.
One can never say one area is better than another for wood quality. Certainly there are distinctions in regards to figure and the uniqueness of each region, but all regions ar capable of producing great wood quality.

Density and grain flow should be the first considerations in the stock you are building for a Lott. It makes no difference if the blank is quarter-sawn or flat-sawn or rift cut just that the density is there and the flow is proper.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, One other thing...the quote of corkscrew wood....my guess is someone was referring to Claro. Often they (English and Claro) are called "California" walnut when they are obviously both different species although growing in California.

Claro really is FAR inferior to the Juglans Regia species...no contest there.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where does Royal Walnut fit into this?

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFreeman:
Shootaway, One other thing...the quote of corkscrew wood....my guess is someone was referring to Claro. Often they (English and Claro) are called "California" walnut when they are obviously both different species although growing in California.

Claro really is FAR inferior to the Juglans Regia species...no contest there.
Thanks Mr Freeman.I've looked your wood over lots of times.I'll let you know if I see something I like.At the moment I am waiting for a price on a couple of blanks I've seen on a sight overseas and if the price is ok then I'll see if Ralph Martini could come up with something better.I have this feeling they are going to cost an arm and a leg.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JonP,
Royal Walnut is Juglans Regia...Regia being latin for Royal, Juglans is walnut.

The Romans called it Jupiters acorn though and not walnut. They are responsible for propagating it through much of Europe, for the nut and the wood as well. They favored the wood for furniture and various other items.

Of course the nut is good too.

shootaway....no problem, good wood is where you find it and i understand.
Ralph is a first class gentleman and one of the best metal and wood guys to ever take an interest in building things that go boom.
The best!