New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obermeyer Barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm considering an Obermeyer barrel for an upcoming project and was wondering if anyone has any experience and feedback for the percormance of Boots' product. Any thoughts on his use of a tighter than normal land diameter?

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great barrels. Last time I checked it was a 2 yr. wait. I have one for a future project that is a 30 cal in 11.25 twist. I certainly wouldn't worry about Boot's land and groove dimensions.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have used several in .243 and .308, all on match rifles if that says anything.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
absolutely top grade - but you'll wait for delivery

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boots is considered by many as the godfather of modern cut rifled barrel making. Most of the current producers of cut rifled barrels studied under Boots. I've been squaded with him for Highpower and Palma matches several times and he is a complete gentlemen and great teacher. You have to listen close because there are lots of good nuggets when he speaks.

His barrels are second to none. Tight bore 30 cal barrels usually used for Palma but thought he made standard bores as well. I wouldn't hesitate to use a tight bore for a field rifle but if you describe your application, it would be easier to advise.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I called him today, he's pretty much caught up with his military contracts and churning out barrels for the public again. He said he could get a barrel out for me in a couple days.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I spoke with him a few days ago and it sounded like he is out from under his backlog. We probably shouldnt advertise that too much so he can stay caught up! Cool

This will be for a hunting rifle that will be chambered in .340 Weatherby. I've never used his barrels and wanted to try something I haven't used before. His tight Land diameter specs are one of the reasons that I want to try one of his barrels.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just put one of his barrels on a 6.5x47 Lapua. Another source for his barrels is Southern Precision they keep a number of his barrels in stock. www.bugholes.com

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i got 2 barrels from boots, had a 2 year wait, he was snowed under with military work, and when he finally got them made , gave them to me for free because of the long wait.....the guy is an absolute gentleman

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Know who I am calling Monday for my next Speedy build. Kriegers are my only tube source but I have to have a "boots" tube for at least one rifle!!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree Hoss. It is about time for another build anyway. Smiler

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
Know who I am calling Monday for my next Speedy build. Kriegers are my only tube source but I have to have a "boots" tube for at least one rifle!!

Is Speedy still teaching??

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
i got 2 barrels from boots, had a 2 year wait, he was snowed under with military work, and when he finally got them made , gave them to me for free because of the long wait.....the guy is an absolute gentleman

2 Years...did you say 2 years??? Hell...I've been waiting 27 years for a .700 barrel...Oh...we chuckle about it now and then.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane
you are a patient man!!

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote