THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Need advise, 300 Win or 300 Weatherby
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advise, 300 Win or 300 Weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless model 70 in 300 Ultra Mag. It sports a 26" tube. It is professionally bedded in a laminated stock in my correct LOP.
It drives tacks with a 180 gr accubond ahead of 95 gr of RL 25. Chrono's at 3400 FPS and change.
I would like to acquire an accumark one of these days and it will likely be a 300.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooters will pick the Win Mag, every day. In real world hunting you will not tell a difference between the two. Off the shelf factory loads…? 300 win mag wins again. Available ammo…? 300 win mag. When shooting a long ways speed doesn't matter as much as consistency, 300 win mag is more consistent. Norma makes brass for both, neither is available.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with DogLeg, my opinion, those big cases just burn more powder. If you really want to see a performance gap, shoot heavy for caliber bullets like 210's or 220's in the bigger case. My experience with shooting magnums over a chronograph shows very little usable margin with the lighter bullets. And the reloading manuals, are extremely skewed.

Another thing, if you do want to take full advantage of the case capacity, and decide to shoot the 200+ grainers, then you might want to consider stepping up to a 338.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
300 RUM and at least 26 inch barrel.

I have been trying out the .300RUM lately and find it a beast of a killer. Now, my .300WM does the same thing equally well and I am asking myself - why all this experimenting?
Well, I like to try new things (except wives and underwear) to see if I like them. I have found that I usually revert to my .280 or .300WM when on an expensive hunt. Still do no have the confidence in my shooting skills to try the RUM on anything but elk.

Oh well. It is fun to have choices.

Posts: 10167 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote