THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Suggest a Gunsmith for Rebarreling a Savage 99
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggest a Gunsmith for Rebarreling a Savage 99
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Savage 99 with a shot-out .303 Savage barrel. I want to rebarrel it to 22 Savage High Power. I can get a .227 barrel from Lothar Walther, and I have a magazine spool for the 22. I'll need a smith to do the work, and probably a source for a chambering reamer. I'd rather rent one if I can. Any reccomendations?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an original 99 Savage in .22 Hi Power and it feeds fine.

I don't know where you could find a reamer, but I have a reamer made for the 6X52R Brettschneider, which is the 22 Hi Power necked up to 6mm. This would give you a much larger choice of bullets than the original Hi Power.

I would be willing to lend you the reamer, if you can find a gunsmith who will handle it tenderly. It was made by Hugh Hendrickson and is a jewel, like all of Hugh's reamers.

I have a full length insert barrel in that caliber for my Krieghoff combination gun which I am anxious to try out, now that it and the scope that goes with it have finally arrived from Germany.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
99s were originally built in 22 Savage HP as xausa mentions. The key is to have the correct caliber rotor for the magazine. I was at a gun show years ago and bought one marked "22". It was made for the 22 HP. There is a trick to making the magazine work properly. The spring has to be pre-stressed. That's why I need a gunsmith familiar with 99s to do the work.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson, Plains, Montana, tel no. 406-826-3790 works miracles with 99s...he can make them work...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote