THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    A funny thing happened at the gun show...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A funny thing happened at the gun show...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few weeks ago we attended a nearby gun show... anything to get out of the house in mid-winter in Michigan.

As I was wandering down an aisle I noticed a pre-carved stock on a table that looked very familiar... it had an ugly knot in the fore end that I seemed to remember. I picked it up and squeezed it for a bit...

Next to the pre-carve was a rather nice blank of English walnut which I also picked up... Imagine my surprise when the blank had my name written on it! The blank looked kinda familiar too...

I talked to the young fellers at the table... it turned out their father had passed away and they were selling his stuff. He was an old friend of mine from years ago, Bill Reinke of Midland, MI. He and I had done some swapping way back when.

The American walnut pre-carve had been done for me by Jerry Fisher back when Jerry did things like that. It was unmistakeable because of the knot and another flaw in the wood. It was inletted for a pre-war M-70 action.

They wanted $200.00 for the blank and $40.00 for the pre-carve. Money changed hands. The wood was mine again.

What are the chances?

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

The English blank that I owned years ago.

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post

The other side of the blank.

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rest of the story...

When I got home from the gun show I called a friend... "You ain't gonna believe this"...

My buddy got kinda excited and said... "I'll get a CZ. You are going to make two CZ spotters instead of one and we are going to use this blank. How much do you want?"

He bought two CZ 452 Americans (just to make sure) just like mine in 17 HMR. The blank is now out at Charlie Grace's awaiting pre-carving to my pattern. This will be a sister rifle to the one covered in my post "My new project".

Since my pattern stock is quite small, we are going to turn the blank upside-down when it is machined.

Should make an interesting rifle.

Whoodaa thunk?

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Yogi said, "It's deja vous all over again" :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
As Yogi said, "It's deja vous all over again" :-)

Biebs, that would be "déjà vu". You are forgiven however.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

This is how the blank came out after Charlie Grace carved it on his machine. He used the pattern I made for the rifle featured on "My new project".

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post
really nice open grip pattern. great story as well.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Wright:

This is how the blank came out after Charlie Grace carved it on his machine. He used the pattern I made for the rifle featured on "My new project".

Pretty wood

You weren't kidding when you said the you were going to turn the blank upside down.

Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote