New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping firearms
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Could not find the orioginal questions/post, but I did write to Fed Ex and heres the synopsis of the reply on 11 30 23

Must be an FFL holder, Must enter into an approved firearm shipper Compliance Agreement with a signed contract on file with Fed Ex. start with contacting kavon.whiting@fedex.com.

Delared value limitations are found in the "Fed Ex Service Guide" (I didn't make that up!) Generally,. limitations are the same as non firearms shipments HOWEVER exceptions may be made on collectible or antique firearms as outlined in the "Service Guide"

So the clear cut answer is a bit elusive to say the least. Howeer, I suggest just jumpng through hoops to avoid some technical denial of a claim.

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an update: I've received a four page document full of leagileeze. Might have been a bad call.

"areeement" does not alllow a licensee to ship a firearm BACK to it's owner unless he is also a licensee. Where do they get this shit?

I'm agrguing that point,,,the rest is all FEX EX CYA

Latest: Fed Ex attached an adendum allowing shipment to non licnsees under the circmstances of simply "returning to owner"

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Duane,
Instead of dealing with and relying on the carriers to pay-out a claim I had Corvens add an "In-transit" coverage to my insurance policy. It's a maximum of $20k per item shipped. I've never had to make a claim, but I'm hoping that it's going to be a better experience than dealing with any of the major carriers who I have had claims with before, with varying degrees of frustrations.

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I've only had one claim in my life. It was through the post office and they paid up no problems.
I am curious though.Has anyone ever had insurance claims problems with USPS?

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MNR:
Hey Duane,
Instead of dealing with and relying on the carriers to pay-out a claim I had Corvens add an "In-transit" coverage to my insurance policy. It's a maximum of $20k per item shipped. I've never had to make a claim, but I'm hoping that it's going to be a better experience than dealing with any of the major carriers who I have had claims with before, with varying degrees of frustrations.

Sounds interesting...I'll send a PM...As I've mentioned..LOTSA way to sneak in "Gun Control"

Had one claim with USPS...Paid off immediately!

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
.Has anyone ever had insurance claims problems with USPS?
Only one time: I sent two boxes of solid bases to a guy in LA and they never arrived. They got stuck at a hub that apparently was shut down and never seemed to clear the distribution center. I did the noble thing and reimburse the guy his money back.

And Roger, thank you for the work you did on the 7 Mauser for me. It looks great! You and your wife were a pleasure to deal with.

Posts: 602 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have had one UPS claim and one USPS one; both were paid, and these were both 10 years ago. But, you must have a receipt proving what the items were worth. They will not just take your word or what they were insured for.
Now of course, UPS totally changed their rules and individuals can't ship firearms and neither can dealers unless they are registered with UPS.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh.."registered" that word will soon become a noun! And the morons are going to be befuddled why there are still drive by's..The answer? ..more stupid rules begat by morons.

The lack of certain punishment is allowed by a moron judicary so the above mentioned morons can jusify more restrictions

A daisy chain!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an update for information only: I went through the process (more like ordeal) so I can have the blessing of shipping firearms with Fed Ex.

First try was a four page document full is legaleeeez bullshit . Made the mistake of asking a question: Now I was presented with a FIVE page document with bullshit.... just piled higher.

Took a month and I have to use only one account for firearms shipments. Anything else requires a different account !

There are some points that I'm still waiting to clear up (type of box, drop offs..etc).

Wonder if this is the only such document in existence?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Just an update for information only: I went through the process (more like ordeal) so I can have the blessing of shipping firearms with Fed Ex.

First try was a four page document full is legaleeeez bullshit . Made the mistake of asking a question: Now I was presented with a FIVE page document with bullshit.... just piled higher.

Took a month and I have to use only one account for firearms shipments. Anything else requires a different account !

There are some points that I'm still waiting to clear up (type of box, drop offs..etc).

Wonder if this is the only such document in existence?

Maybe you just need to make it a requirement that your customers pick up their rifle in person. With all the money they save on shipping you could require them to take you out for a nice steak dinner, if they still allow you to eat steak out there. Won't be long and those of us over here on this side of the country won't be able to have guns anyway.

John

Posts: 545 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nah....my food poops on vegan's food. P.S ...that would be Bill Gates' food

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when I had a little shop in Lewis County, Washington, the USPS broke the toe off of a Winchester 42.

It was a moderately easy fix, but I paid the insurance, so I wanted them to take responsibility. They couldn't figure out how to pay to fix it, so they decided they'd pay like it was lost and gave me a check for full value. Since it was small town, the post master came to the shop to 'collect the broken item'. I told him sure, as soon as you fill out a 4473. He refused, I kept the 42.

Posts: 1303 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
GG Stokes!!!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Today I only use USPS, a tad more expensive on the insurance, but its no hassel and the best sources for the non FFL holder..No questions asked except is it explosive..read the rules.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stokes:
Back when I had a little shop in Lewis County, Washington, the USPS broke the toe off of a Winchester 42.

It was a moderately easy fix, but I paid the insurance, so I wanted them to take responsibility. They couldn't figure out how to pay to fix it, so they decided they'd pay like it was lost and gave me a check for full value. Since it was small town, the post master came to the shop to 'collect the broken item'. I told him sure, as soon as you fill out a 4473. He refused, I kept the 42.

Not all heroes wear capes.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Fedex and tell them I make custom golf clubs....

Recently have been using USPS and UPS.

No one is fast and reliable.

Posts: 10149 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote