THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Anybody knowledgeable about Winchester custom shop ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody knowledgeable about Winchester custom shop ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a stainless synthetic rifle here, a four digit G series rifle that only has ".300 Remington Ultra Magnum" engraved on the barrel, no address or Winchester markings on the barrel at all. From what I read, the 4 digit G series guns were out of the Custom Shop and I am wondering if the gun was a factory build or has been rebarreled after the fact. All the finish matches extremely well, I tend to think it is an original rifle but my consignor was not sure. Any thoughts?

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every G series custom shop Model 70 I've owned (2) or seen has had the standard Winchester barrel markings on the left side of the barrel and a custom shop stamp/roll-mark on the right side of the barrel.

Such as: -Ultimate Classic-
-Custom Classic-
-Classic Sporting Sharpshooter-

you get the idea...

The custom shop guns also had a second proof mark on top of the barrel that was a circle with CS inside of it.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent info, thank you.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, another one of Goose's "just bought it, had to have it, now what did I buy?" guns? :-)

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this one goes under the "hey, I could build another .404 on this, I have to have it!" category. Defiantly a man who believes you can never have too many .404 Jeffery rifles. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I referred him to Dr Phil :-)

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had three and down to one. All were similar serial numbers to you’rs. All of mine had a stamp on top of the barrel near the action with CSG on it. Custom shop Gun.
Regards

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not that anybody would fake one.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya rekon??? shocker

I know on the older Winchester lever guns that are special order (back in the day) they had a circle P on the barrel in front of the action..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote