THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Anyone having engraving done-if so what and by who?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone having engraving done-if so what and by who?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I might be having some myself.I've been recommended Marty Rabeno.What's a rifle without engraving?-just too cold for me.I've hunted many years with my double O/U engraved shotgun and hunting without a wooden stocked and engraved rifle just doesn't feel right.Does anyone agree to this?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shootaway

Everyone has there own style of engraving that they like. I have had a lot engraving done for customers by a lot of different engravers.
For my personal taste in style, execution and content is Roger Kehr (schrollcutter) that posts here.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Gary Goudy 450 Dakota with the floorplate done in a Cape Buffalo by Marty. Nice work. If you like something different, check out Lee Griffiths' work. He can actually shade figures in steel...different and remarkable style.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I you like deeper relief, look at some of the work done by Ken Warren...very dramatic style.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Something about Roger Kehr's style really resonates with me. I dream of having him do some of his work for me one day.

That said, IMO engraving only belongs on top grade bolt rifles.

Double guns do look naked without engraving. But third rate engraving is hardly better than nothing.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I have always really liked Ken Hurst's work, although I know there are people who are just as good or better. Just depends on what type of engraving you want.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Could look here...
http://fega.com/

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Something about Roger Kehr's style really resonates with me. I dream of having him do some of his work for me one day.

I had examples of Rogers work but the old computer crashed and lost his pics.
Like Jason, I like his style and hope to use him someday.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanted Hans Eisbacher to do it but was told that he is in Germany reached an older age and doing very little work.According to Ralph Martini,Marty Rabeno is one of the very few who could engrave as well.He has a natural artistic ability and is very good with engraving animals.He has also reserved some time with him for a project.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
I have always really liked Ken Hurst's work, although I know there are people who are just as good or better. Just depends on what type of engraving you want.

Here's some of Ken's work.

I like his work too.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Here is the piece that turned me on to his work. An excellent Super X-1 by Ken Hurst. Not my gun...

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I can recommend Charles Lee in Ione, California. Charles worked for Purdy in England, among others, and is very versatile. He also turns work around in months rather than years.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is some of Roger Kehr's work. I had never commissioned an engraving job before and Roger was very easy to work with. Some of my idea's he liked and others he suggested we do something different which I considered very helpful.

He was very patient and let me talk myself into spending a lot more than I had budgeted for the job rotflmo The work is stunning and he didn't misspell any of the words. animal It was money well spent and the work was done quickly.

If I ever do another one Roger will be the engraver on it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, Terry!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some more from Ken Hurst. Ken is having some health problems.

He is very reasonable and easy to work with.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Jim Blair, Glenrock, WY.

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dropped one of Bailey Bradshaw's small double rifle actions off at Ken Hurst's home in Robersonville 10 days ago and look forward to his scratching it up...

Regards

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Wow! Very nice, gentlemen!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I exchanged a few emails with Marty Rabeno.Being the chief architect rotflmo of the project, I am pointing him towards a certain direction.I think I am going to go with a lion scene on the floorplate but not just any lion scene,one that evokes immediate danger.I am goint to try to get a message across with the engraving.It is going to say "immediate danger" and the rifle will say "the solution".There shouldn't be a doubt as to what the rifle is for by just looking at the engraving.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too like that Ken guys work, the borders on that action I haven't seen before and like.

I love Roger's work too, I really like the grip cap with the maker's names on it, I was wondering how and where to put the makers names on a rifle and I have the answer now. I'm also going to find a reason I need the Matte/stippling type treatment, I just love it. Terry, what do you call that on there, it isn't stippling I don't think, but is still very cool.

I just need to find an engraver that is tacky enough to put "click" and "bang" on the safety for me instead of safe and fire. Smiler

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
My .577 NE DR was engraved by a gentleman named Mark Swanson in Prescott, AZ.

Here are a few photos that have been posted here before:

I know this is not to everyone's tastes, but this is what I like.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have studied engraving for many years and I have a lot of examples of good work from Germany, Ferlach, England etc
Also I have had work done in the US by Ralf Bone who aside from his reputation as a master in the U.S. he has been the Engraver on many of the maserpiece works of Hartmann & Weiss.

What I'm getting at here is that it is with very good knoledge of the art form that I say my life changed the day I met the engraver Jim White of Wasilla Alaska.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no trouble hunting with plain jane rifles matter of fact I really like stainless syt more and more.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To each his own.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I have no trouble hunting with plain jane rifles matter of fact I really like stainless syt more and more.

JHC! This is not what this thread is all about!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Roger Kehr. Honored to have his fine work grace my rifles!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
A rifle without some engraving is naked.

We have a few engravers here Down Under as well. Ron Croxon did these minimalist pieces for my 7x57.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Code 4, that is some enviable work! Love the idea of the Map and the Eland.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Thank you. The Eland head is a copy from the Rowland Ward web site.

My son has a Steenbok on his .243W. If you surf the web there are thousands of ideas out there.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted to get teh wife an o/u 20 gauge and have it engraved with snowflakes as she is a hard core snow bunny snowboarder... have never seen anyone do snow but think it would look cool, at least for a chick shotgun...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous! All of your engravings look great.
One day. One day...

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
I really like what roger did for you.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
x2 That bolt handle really looks good.

Before I die I want to own a Duane Wiebe rifle!

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B.A.Bradshaw did the engraving on Safari Kid's Ken Owen 4 bore double "Mastodon". Lots of dinosaurs and teradactiles.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I've got two rifles engraved by Gerome Glimm. Bolt knobs,trigger guards, gripcaps, floorplates, actions, rings, barrels, sights, barrelband sling, and screw heads. Outstanding Work! Simply the Best.

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote