THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Ballpark/Spitball Cost for Stock Duplication/Finishing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballpark/Spitball Cost for Stock Duplication/Finishing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted
Let's say I want to hand a No 1 and a two piece turkish walnut blank to a fellow...and get back a rifle with the same lines Brownell came up with, only difference being wood quality and maybe an extra half inch of pull, and a Silvers pad vs Ruger.

A couple grand? A bunch more?

I really have no good idea. Hoping to get an idea from those here who have done it (from either side of the ledger, so to speak).

Thanks!

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Realistically, the price from a qualifieds stockmaker would be not less than twice that, sorry.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Realistically, the price from a qualifieds stockmaker would be not less than twice that, sorry.

Well Jim, I was afraid of that!

Thought I'd embarrass myself here, vs in private!

Thanks for the input.

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a good pattern that can be copied exactly, $200 to $500 to duplicate. I have had both done in the last year. Then you will need to do final inletting. The $$500 duplicating job is worth it for less final inletting work. Finish the wood then send out for checkering, another $300-$500. If you want to pay someone to do everything, multiply by 2.5-5 times.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote