Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want To Build A Rifle
 Login/Join

posted
I'm a new poster on this site but I've read the most of the pages on some of these custom builds and would like to try my hand at it. I have access to a full machine shop with knowledgeable teachers to help me along the way. I'm looking at building a .223 on a Mauser action. i know this is a LOT to just be jumping into but I'm going to be taking it very slow so I don't have too many mess ups. My first question is, what would be a good action to build off of? I've read that the Yugo 24/47 was good and that the 98 is good. What should I use?

Thank you,
Jacob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are wanting to build a 223, find a mini Mauser already chambered in 223. I built a 223 on a M96 once and it was a royal PITA.

The mini mauser's were brought under a number of names but are readily available.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1481 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can you list some of the names it has been listed under? So I know what to look for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the mini mauser came in as interarms mini mauser, charles daly mini mauser, remington 799 and i believe the name is the zastava model 85. k-var and century international both are importing them i believe. Fal Grunt gives you good advice. find the action that was made to work with the cartridge of your choice for your first build and save yourself alot of headaches.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd build on a SAKO A1 action.. they cost to start but much less in the long run.

Isn't the mini Mauser push feed?

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How much would an A1 action cost me?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Step away from the light. Before it's too late...

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to build a 223, use an action suited for the catridge..
If you want to build a Mauser-actioned rifle, the 22-250 would be a far better choice.

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
223 or .22-250. I'm flexible, I thought I put .223 or .22-250 in my original post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, IF you want to build a rifle, why the (yawn) 223. We all have tons of them. If you are going to all that work, why not build something with a high "cool factor" like a 275 H&H or 6.5x68 or 8x68 ? That will get the boys at the range talking a lot more than a (yawn) 223. As for a Mauser, another (yawn) we all have them.
Get a Schultz & Larsen mdl 54 or a Mdl 10 Ross Straight pull (280 Ross, another high cool cartridge).
Let's face it, Savage builds several 223s that are as good as anything you could build.
If you build a rifle you should plan on keeping it as you'll never get out of it what you put into it, so get out of the box, build some thing you'll never see on another bench, like a 400 Holland & Holland built on a 700 action. Certified fight stopper and easy on the shooter.

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
If you want a small cartridge the 22-250 or a .243 Win sounds good.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=328545598

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by artshaw:
IMHO, IF you want to build a rifle, why the (yawn) 223. We all have tons of them. If you are going to all that work, why not build something with a high "cool factor" like a 275 H&H or 6.5x68 or 8x68 ? That will get the boys at the range talking a lot more than a (yawn) 223. As for a Mauser, another (yawn) we all have them.
Get a Schultz & Larsen mdl 54 or a Mdl 10 Ross Straight pull (280 Ross, another high cool cartridge).
Let's face it, Savage builds several 223s that are as good as anything you could build.
If you build a rifle you should plan on keeping it as you'll never get out of it what you put into it, so get out of the box, build some thing you'll never see on another bench, like a 400 Holland & Holland built on a 700 action. Certified fight stopper and easy on the shooter.

First off, beautiful rifle!!! Second, I wanted to go with the 223 or a 22-250 because this was going to be a varmint/fun shooting rifle and I didn't want to go with a round like 204 Ruger or 220 Swift because ammo would cost quite a bit. I agree with you on the 223 being a boring cartridge but I'm 17 and wanted a project to do and figured this would be a great one to start! I'm open to any round recommendation though. Just can't be a large one because like I said, it'll be for varmints. And I don't want to hear "Just go out and buy a 223" or anything like that, I want to do this project for fun and the cost is irrelevant to me.

Jake

one of us
posted Hide Post
Build your 223 on a Rem 700 or if you want to take it a step further a custom action such as Defience, Stiller, etc.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuaneinND:
Build your 223 on a Rem 700 or if you want to take it a step further a custom action such as Defience, Stiller, etc.
I'm leaning away from the 223 and leaning more towards a 22-250 or 204 Ruger since from what I've read they're better rounds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tough question.You would need some in depth experience with all-something that can take forever.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would give the same advice for either the 22/250 or the 204. I would challenge the statement "better" than the 223. Use describes which caliber is "best". I don't care which caliber you pick, all three will be fun to own and shoot. The plus side to the 223 is cost of ammo over the counter. More ammo means more fun. If you reload there is a very minimal difference.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CORNERSTONE
posted Hide Post
I had mine buit off a Nesika action which was nice, but pricy. Then again I full backing from the boss and my wallet stayed in my pocket.

Thanks,
ED

Posts: 148 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I did the custom .223 Mauser thing a few years back. It's a fun little rifle. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I started out with a Zastavia Mini Mauser action and went from there.

It made a stunning little custom and it's very unique.

Best of luck to you.
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I dunno... like Terry I kinda like the .223. Tons of ammo, cheap to shoot easier to sell if you decide you want to down the road. Doing a full custom Zastava Mini Mauser with quarter rib, barrel band swivel and sights it the epitome of cool. Beats a rifle that is a wildcat and/or is hard to find ammo for... you see those customs for sale for pennies on the dollar based on the original cost of the build.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlang95:
quote:
Originally posted by DuaneinND:
I'm leaning away from the 223 and leaning more towards a 22-250 or 204 Ruger since from what I've read they're better rounds.

I'll give my 2 cents worth.

If you really want a 223 - which is a great round for all the reasons stated - find a Mini-mauser action on Gunbroker. Here is one ready made:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=331242703

Here is another (Remington used the same action and called it a Rem 799):

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=331300711

Finding just the actions can be tough, however.

If you go with the 22-250 - a great round - you can use the Yugo 24/47 action you mentioned. That action is an "intermediate" mauser action, and the bolt has a .308 bolt face, which will work with no modifications for the 22-250.

I see you said "cost is irrelevant to me". Well, in that case, the world is your oyster. Either buy one of the Mini mauser or Rem 799 rifles for the 223, or buy a Yugo action (for a lot less) and do the 22-250. With the Yugo action, you'll have a lot of work to do: Thread and chamber a new barrel, weld a new bolt handle, possibly fit a Model 70 type safety in place of the bolt shroud, install a new trigger, etc, etc.

Have fun!

Dave

Posts: 920 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Artshaw,

Could you explain the purpose of the Rem 700 with the oversized stock? Why is the magazine area so deep?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
I dunno... like Terry I kinda like the .223. Tons of ammo, cheap to shoot easier to sell if you decide you want to down the road. Doing a full custom Zastava Mini Mauser with quarter rib, barrel band swivel and sights it the epitome of cool. Beats a rifle that is a wildcat and/or is hard to find ammo for... you see those customs for sale for pennies on the dollar based on the original cost of the build.

I agree with most here...a 223 mini mauser would be really cool...but see the value in having something different. Dont over look the 222, classic little cart. with a lot of snap...not seen that often and plenty of componets. Hey in a mini mauser look at a 7.62x39 too nice little rifle that can handle anything up to deer close.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my .02...get you a cz 527 mini mauser in 7.62x39 and rebarrel to 22ppc or 6ppc. like this

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always liked the looks of Terry's little mini mauser. That may be my next type rifle.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have custom 223s in Mini Mauser, Sako L461 and Brno ZKK601. The Mini Mauser & Sako are properly proportioned for the 223 and are neat compact rifles. The ZKK is a little larger/heavier (scaled for 22-250 size rounds).

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote