THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Dean Zollinger Custom 22lr on MAS 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dean Zollinger Custom 22lr on MAS 45
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I posted photos several months ago of a work in progress of a full custom 22lr built on a MAS 45 by Dean Zollinger. The rifle is for a customer of gun maker John Bolliger.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...231040061#2231040061

A couple weeks ago he received the rifle back from the engraver for bluing. I was able to take some photos of the metal in the white. For your enjoyment I have posted photos of the great craftsmanship. It was a real pleasure seeing this rifle from beginning to completion.

Please feel free to comment. I know Dean is curious to hear what the rest of the shooting community thinks of this rifle.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A custom rifle like that in a 22 LR? Now THAT'S cool!

Thanks for showing us.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW ! I really like the floorplate ,well designed and well made !! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love most of the metalwork but the engraving ruins it for me. Well done but entirely TOO TOO MUCH of it!

And IMO having the 'gunmaker's' name very prominently displayed in large script(!?!UGH!?!) is simply another example of TOO MUCH, as well as being more than a little lower-class. What about the names of the engraver and metalworker? What about tasteful modesty instead of BIG BRAG?

I absolutely LOVE the metalwork but IMO the 'gunmaker' is probably not my kinda fellow. Mighty big hat but, so far at least in this project, no cattle to speak of. Have seen his 'work' before several times but so far have not seen anything I'd care to claim as my own property. Sorry but someone stole my big furry hat and purple coat.....

Sorry if this offends anyone but you asked for my opinion.

But I do love the metalwork!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Love the metalsmithing.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I, too, am not a fan of full coverage on bolt guns but once the barreled action is put into the stock it won't look so overwhelming.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
I love most of the metalwork but the engraving ruins it for me. Well done but entirely TOO TOO MUCH of it!

And IMO having the 'gunmaker's' name very prominently displayed in large script(!?!UGH!?!) is simply another example of TOO MUCH, as well as being more than a little lower-class. What about the names of the engraver and metalworker? What about tasteful modesty instead of BIG BRAG?

I absolutely LOVE the metalwork but IMO the 'gunmaker' is probably not my kinda fellow. Mighty big hat but, so far at least in this project, no cattle to speak of. Have seen his 'work' before several times but so far have not seen anything I'd care to claim as my own property. Sorry but someone stole my big furry hat and purple coat.....

Sorry if this offends anyone but you asked for my opinion.

But I do love the metalwork!
Regards, Joe

JD,
I have to agree with you for the most part. I personally find it a bit presumptuous that Bolliger boldly slaps his name on the rifle with the title of "riflemaker". Especially considering that he only did the stock work and does not give any of the credit to the real builder of all the metal work. The engraver is listed on the opposite side of the barrel from Bolligers signature.

One of the reasons I wanted to show off Dean Zollingers talented metal work.

My tastes for engraving are that less is more. But the in my opinion the quality of the scroll work is exceptional. It was all done to the clients specs so I am sure he will be very pleased with it.

Even if it is a bit over the top for my tastes I am deeply impressed by the quality of work and craftsmanship that this rifle exhibits.

William Berger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
joe -i agree with you, beautiful work just to much

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not my taste, the engraving is way over the top and the game scene seems out of place on a 22lr...

My opinion only, I could find alternatives that would be more pleasing to my eye and save a good bit of money for another project..

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
Not my taste, the engraving is way over the top and the game scene seems out of place on a 22lr...

I wondered the same thing but being that the engraving was done to the customers specs I assume that particular scene has some special meaning for him.

Since this was built as a mini express rifle I think a something like a duiker or civet cat would have looked really cool.

William Berger

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Once the bluing has been done, I'm sure the engraving may look much more understated.
Not a fan of the gold; color case hardening may have been more elegant. But it's still nice!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
What u talkin 'bout..............that's one fine rifle......

Fo' shizzle ma nizzle.............

Sorry, just could not resist.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1432 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:

That's EXACTLY the image that came to my mind...especially for the cursive script enthusiast!

'Adolescent' is another word that comes to mind here, re the script signature. How unfortunate that such otherwise-fine workmanship has been belittled by such poor taste!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
After it's blued it'll tone down a little. It's still a little too much for me. I saw the thread before the engraving went on. The metal work is just amazing.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
2012 21:57 Hide Post

Is that Obama?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Not fair to judge its intended aesthetics when it's in the white, although I'll hazard to say that it's a masterpiece of metalworking and engraving, both. I'd really like to see it after it's been blued and stocked.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13466 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely,positively the best demonstration of how to waste money on a 22 sporter that should not have been done save pecuniary motivation.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm curious about the butt treatment. A project of this level deserves some sort of really special buttplate(s) or other striking design.

Given the very generous amount of unused space on the rear ring behind the ejection port, my thoughts automatically turned to a folding or detachable peep sight. Of course this would require a trap-door buttplate (grin) with space for the detachable peep inside, as well as storage for the cute little scope-base filler pieces. But alas there's no peep; probably the client doesn't like peeps as much as I do (another grin).

I certainly like the engraving, all except for the giraffe. IMO their jarring color contrast just overwhelms the remainder of the scene without adding any particular spark of excitement or even much interest in the mind of the beholder.

But the rest of the engraving has provided me with some splendid examples of particular treatments that I hope to incorporate into my own scrimshanding efforts. Imanginative and extremely well-executed!
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...been trying my best not to chime in on this project....I certainly see and understand the metal work artistry AND the execution of the engraving

The good part is that you could melt out all the gold and have enouogh money to start all over again

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I missed it...but was the engraver identified? Wouldn't blamed him (or her) if anonimity was part of the deal.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimR:
Absolutely,positively the best demonstration of how to waste money on a 22 sporter that should not have been done save pecuniary motivation.

DITTO that but if you have the $$$$$ to burn.

On the other hand IF I had the talent to do that level of engraving I would be damn proud of myself. Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for any others, but my own immediate reaction can be summed up in two words. "Gaudy" and "Professional"...with "Professional" used in the same sense that Heidi Kleiss (sp?) might be called a professional.

I wouldn't want to take either it or her to meet my family and friends.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I thought the metal work was really nice before the engraving went on. I applaud Dean's vision on the metal work.

I think the engraving is a bit much too but....this rifle was for someone else and this was his vision of a nice rifle and that's what custom rifles are all about. I hope the customer is happy with it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The metal work looks great. The bling, not so much.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
"I want my mother#@!$!% &^$%#@ #@%%@# rifle back" Snoop Lion

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exceptional and outstanding custom .22Lr. I don´t have a .22lr for the moment, but if I had one like this one here, I just might go more often to shoot(flash) at the shootingrange.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote