Find
Notify
Tools

RICHARDS MICROFIT STOCKS, INC.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted
Has anyone bought a stock from these guys recently like in the last 6 or 8 months? if so what were your experiences with them and the stocks, good, bad or ugly. Thank you in advance for any input.

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish I could help, and I mean that literally. I really tried to buy from Richards, since they're one of the few places that inlet for my model of rifle, and they had a great sale at the time. I had an extended email exchange with them. Other than being a little slow to respond, they seemed to be pretty good and had several great stocks for me. It all went off the tracks when they refused to ship to Canada themselves. They insisted on contracting it out to another (profit-generating) company, whose exorbitant "handling fees" would actually DOUBLE the price of each stock. End of negotiations. So you see, I'd really like to have purchased some Richards stocks to be able to give you an honest opinion, but alas: Denied!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have 4 in the shop from them now, and have done several the past couple of years. they are a but rough as you receive them but they clean up well

Posts: 61 | Location: Big Timber Mt. / Campbell NY | Registered: 27 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:
Wish I could help, and I mean that literally. I really tried to buy from Richards, since they're one of the few places that inlet for my model of rifle, and they had a great sale at the time. I had an extended email exchange with them. Other than being a little slow to respond, they seemed to be pretty good and had several great stocks for me. It all went off the tracks when they refused to ship to Canada themselves. They insisted on contracting it out to another (profit-generating) company, whose exorbitant "handling fees" would actually DOUBLE the price of each stock. End of negotiations. So you see, I'd really like to have purchased some Richards stocks to be able to give you an honest opinion, but alas: Denied!

Have it shipped to a friend in the US, and have him ship it to you ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

Have it shipped to a friend in the US, and have him ship it to you ?

You flatter me sir, that you presume that I have such friends! In truth, we Canadians don't get around much. I must admit, however, that I've corresponded with a couple of very knowledgeable (and helpful) gentlemen on this forum who've been absolutely first-class.

Your suggestion would certainly be the best solution around the problem. However, after my initial disappointment with Richards, I exercised another option for stocking my rifles. Not a terribly fancy grain, but the targets don't seem to know the difference. I might revisit the subject in the future when I have something really special to stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For everyone's general information...I recently did work for a Canadian who shipped me a Ruger 77 (stock only) to alter the shaping. It came to me fine. However...The USA Government has placed an embargo on all gun related pieces, parts, portions, or suggestions from the USA to Canada. One must go through a Certified Import/Export facilitator. My client just got his gunstock back after a long delay of having to find such an agent who had offices on both sides of the Border. The letter I got back from the US Border Patrol and Us Customs Office left no doubt they were serious.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Earl Smith:
For everyone's general information...I recently did work for a Canadian who shipped me a Ruger 77 (stock only) to alter the shaping. It came to me fine. However...The USA Government has placed an embargo on all gun related pieces, parts, portions, or suggestions from the USA to Canada. One must go through a Certified Import/Export facilitator. My client just got his gunstock back after a long delay of having to find such an agent who had offices on both sides of the Border. The letter I got back from the US Border Patrol and Us Customs Office left no doubt they were serious.

For an inert piece of wood??? I should imagine that this ban also extends to gun-shaped facsimiles carved from a bar of soap and blackened with shoe polish.... And I'm sure this "facilitator" performed this public service free of charge.

Appreciate the heads-up. Glad I didn't find this out the hard way, after investing hundreds of hard-earned beer tokens in pieces of walnut to languish in a Customs warehouse for the rest of their days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The couple that I've seen looked like a drunkk beaver worked on it.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Some assembly required."

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, I started using Richard stocks in 1970. They are not finished and require sanding and inletting by hand.
Last one I got was one year ago; got a xx figured piece (ordered only semi fancy) that was not inletted so I could put a Steyr 95 in 444 Marlin on it. Which I did.
They are very conservative in wood grading and you always get better figure than you expect.
Drunk Beaver? I have never received one like that in the probably 40 I have had. They are equivalent to and better than most other pantographed stocks.
If you can't hand inlet the final .020, and fit the barrel, however, you will not be happy.
They are not drop in, ready to go stocks.
As far as shipping to Canada, stocks are in the ITAR list and require State Department Approval to do so. I would not try to smuggle one across.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,
I guess I was unlucky. In some places it was .125 to remove in the inletting. The quality of the grade of wood was very good, but as I said on the one I received, Bucky Beaver got to it.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Ok, I started using Richard stocks in 1970. They are not finished and require sanding and inletting by hand.
Last one I got was one year ago; got a xx figured piece (ordered only semi fancy) that was not inletted so I could put a Steyr 95 in 444 Marlin on it. Which I did.
They are very conservative in wood grading and you always get better figure than you expect.
Drunk Beaver? I have never received one like that in the probably 40 I have had. They are equivalent to and better than most other pantographed stocks.
If you can't hand inlet the final .020, and fit the barrel, however, you will not be happy.
They are not drop in, ready to go stocks.
As far as shipping to Canada, stocks are in the ITAR list and require State Department Approval to do so. I would not try to smuggle one across.

Wise words! In the current international climate, I wouldn't attempt to smuggle bubblegum past the CBP. Those people can't afford to have a sense of humour these days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I'll thank you gentlemen to stop taking the name of our national animal in vain!

(Drunken woodchuck is quite acceptable, however.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew/know about the ITAR regs, didn't know wood was included as a restricted item.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually bought a couple from them and, while rough, I expect to do the work anyway. They finished up just fine for the intended purpose.

THEN I got the bright idea of sending one of my nice chunks of wood for them to machine.

Superficially it looked fine but was so deeply cut in the bottom-metal area that it ultimately required cutting the magazine box way down and trimming off the end of the trigger so it didn't hit inside the trigger guard bow. All this so the bottom-metal didn't protrude from the stock by .4".

That's when I found Ed Shulin (RIP) for my machining.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No excuse for that, for sure. I have never got one that I considered "rough". Same as any other mass produced pantographed stock. Not talking about a $1000 one that was made from your glass bedded pattern. Don't expect that.
As for the ITAR list; no, wood is not mentioned. Gunstocks, are. So, yes, if you shaped a stock out of tofu, and made it hard enough to be a viable stock then you have to get a permit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am in business and have a number of would be customers in Canada. Shipping there is a PITA. It is best to simply locate a customs broker to do the legwork. Canada adds Duties and VAT to the bill. Sometimes I ship to a us firm near the border and the custoer drives over and picks it up. Probably simpler for everyone if the buyer is able to do this.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:

I am in business and have a number of would be customers in Canada. Shipping there is a PITA. It is best to simply locate a customs broker to do the legwork. Canada adds Duties and VAT to the bill. Sometimes I ship to a us firm near the border and the custoer drives over and picks it up. Probably simpler for everyone if the buyer is able to do this.

I know what you're saying, but, two things: First, as my wise friend dpcd pointed out, the whole problem of the potential ITAR violation makes it all moot. The risks are just too great. At the very least, you'll lose financially and end up with your name on a list that will make your life unpleasant for years to come. Not worth it for a $99 piece of wood. Second, just for information purposes, you don't need to go through all the grief and expense of dealing with mercenary middle-men like brokers if you just pack it up and send it by good old U.S. Mail. Put a Customs declaration on the package, drop it on the counter, and forget it. Canada Post puts a card in my mailbox to tell me I have a parcel waiting. I go in, they charge me duty (if any - many of the auto parts and books I get from the U.S. are duty free) and HST, and I stagger away with the bundle in my arms. Simple. It's when some idiot ships it to you via UPS or some other gang of extortionists that life gets ugly. After a long delay, you get a phone call from some arrogant individual with a weird accent telling you that they have your goods and will not release them until you hand over duty, taxes, and some huge "handling fee". The only thing missing is the veiled threat against your house and family. The fee is always ridiculous, even if it's only a small package worth five bucks. I just tell them to return it to sender, and tell that person to reship it the way I instructed him to the first time. He can eat the loss as a stupid tax.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:

I know what you're saying, but, two things: First, as my wise friend dpcd pointed out, the whole problem of the potential ITAR violation makes it all moot. The risks are just too great. At the very least, you'll lose financially and end up with your name on a list that will make your life unpleasant for years to come. Not worth it for a $99 piece of wood. Second, just for information purposes, you don't need to go through all the grief and expense of dealing with mercenary middle-men like brokers if you just pack it up and send it by good old U.S. Mail. Put a Customs declaration on the package, drop it on the counter, and forget it. Canada Post puts a card in my mailbox to tell me I have a parcel waiting. I go in, they charge me duty (if any - many of the auto parts and books I get from the U.S. are duty free) and HST, and I stagger away with the bundle in my arms. Simple. It's when some idiot ships it to you via UPS or some other gang of extortionists that life gets ugly. After a long delay, you get a phone call from some arrogant individual with a weird accent telling you that they have your goods and will not release them until you hand over duty, taxes, and some huge "handling fee". The only thing missing is the veiled threat against your house and family. The fee is always ridiculous, even if it's only a small package worth five bucks. I just tell them to return it to sender, and tell that person to reship it the way I instructed him to the first time. He can eat the loss as a stupid tax.

Yes, I understand. The stuff I sell needs truck transport - way too large for the postal service. It has nothing to do with guns.

Shipping weapons related stuff in contravention of the law is a losing proposition. Though it is hard to understand why some of these items are 'controlled'.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you there, Alec, hard to understand indeed. The spirit and intent of the law was to protect sensitive military technology and prevent the unauthorized use of sophisticated 21st Century weapons. Blocking a private citizen from purchasing 17th Century technology, in the form of an inert piece of hardwood designed for a hundred-year-old bolt action rifle firing an obsolete cartridge, is the unfortunate byproduct of a ineptly-written piece of legislation, clumsily enforced.

As to your first point on shipping, I agree completely: Large shipments, hazardous goods, etc, are a whole different matter. Then it definitely pays to engage a professional, and under those circumstances they're working for their money, no argument. UPS demanding a $35 "handling charge" on a $12 book is blatant banditry.

One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted Hide Post
Wow this discussion took a hard left turn LOL! Thanks to those who gave information on the stocks.

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Fryar:
Wow this discussion took a hard left turn LOL! Thanks to those who gave information on the stocks.

Sorry about that, Ray, that's down to me. The whole export thing really does push a button with me. Steering back ON topic, you can do no better than to heed dpcd, he's guided me right in the past. For those of you who don't have to cross a border to get a SEMI-finished stock, Richards appears to offer a decent product and a great selection, and his first-hand experience seems to back that up. My own limited interaction with them was quite positive (up to the last step), so I can't offer anything negative from an American buyer's perspective. Apologies for the hijack!

One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
In the last 6 or so months, I've ordered 4 stocks, and now have the last ones in hand.
They are semi-inletted, and exactly what I ordered. Two were with grip caps and end caps, two were without either.
One was for a Savage M110, where I made the mistake. I had a blind-magazine action and forgot to mention it. Ha ha, dumb ME!
I bought another rifle with a detachable box magazine, switched parts, and sold the rifle to someone else.
I now own a thumbhole, detached magazine rifle that would be hard-put to make me happier.
The second was a more-classic styled stock for a 6.5 TCU on a Howa. All good.
The other two are semi-fancy Claro Classic-styled for M98 Mausers.
ALL are enough oversize to make new, more customized lines without having to spend forever removing wood.
Richards has always given me nice stocks, as advertised, in the timeframes that they told me when I ordered.
I like their TH stocks, but have several more-conventional also.
I have a AAAFancy (I hope) blank that I will be sending down to them, before too long.
The only border I have to cross, though id between California and Nevada, lol.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody proud enough of one they did to show a few photos of it?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:

Here is my Inletted by an Drunk Beaver, Stock from Richards...

Here are a few during shaping and inletting

They seem to work fine for a backyard, shade tree gun hack like myself.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again with disparaging remarks about our national animal....

For a "backyard, shade tree gun hack", you do some very nice work, sir! What type and grade of wood did you order, and what finish did you use?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

For a "backyard, shade tree gun hack", you do some very nice work, sir! What type and grade of wood did you order, and what finish did you use?

Sorry, I couldn't resist the beaver comment...

I don't remember for sure but I think that it was Grade AA English Walnut. I used Minwax Wipe on Ploy on this stock. It is not a high end finish but I find that it is quite durable and easy to apply.

Here is a link to my blog posts of the rifle build for anyone interested.

https://gameandgrapes.blogspot.../search/label/7mm-08

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Hinn:
quote:

Sorry, I couldn't resist the beaver comment...

I don't remember for sure but I think that it was Grade AA English Walnut. I used Minwax Wipe on Ploy on this stock. It is not a high end finish but I find that it is quite durable and easy to apply.

Here is a link to my blog posts of the rifle build for anyone interested.

https://gameandgrapes.blogspot.../search/label/7mm-08

Upon reviewing that link, please allow me to retract my "very nice" remark and upgrade it to "damned fine!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Upon reviewing that link, please allow me to retract my "very nice" remark and upgrade it to "damned fine!"

I would add to that comment. A man with many talents. I like the story about your wife buying your barreled action for you the best.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Done a couple in thelast 4 years. One recently. Had to order the last one from them because I couldn't find one for a Norwegian Krag anywhere else. The one before it was a fullstock for a Swedish Mauser. It was miserable. I do realize my talents aren't that good, but it was the hardest I've ever done. The Norsky was much better. Thinking because I walked away from it at times I wasn't up to it. The local Vo Tech offers classes in stockmaking from time to time. I will order from them again after I am educated some.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Mark, I think that you hit the nail on the head. For me inletting and shaping a stock takes a very long time. I find that I have to be in the right mind and patient. I have to know when to walk away because when I am frustrated or inpatient that is when I make a mess of things. I also spend a lot of time planning and laying things out before I start work.

As a hobbyist I just don’t have the experience or repetition of a professional gunsmith. I do a stock every few years so each time seems like a new learning experience.

As for Richards, I think that they are just as serviceable as any semi inlet that I have worked with. Are they a drop in, no.

But I have been able to make very serviceable stocks from them and would not hesitate buying from them again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad, As far as I can see that is excellent work. Graceful line, sharp definition and edges, awesome checkering.
Can you tell me what make/brand of checkering tools you use?

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn! You timed the grip cap and front sling swivel screws, too! I can't remember when I last saw such attention to detail.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:

Here is a DGTH in exhibition grade Claro walnut done by a friend. He's currently doing a couple laminates; one in electric blue and one in purple sapphire.

I'll have to one day get some better pics.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1202 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't much care to receive a pre-inlet with the recoil pad glued on and the sling swivel stud holes drilled off center.

Posts: 684 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I acquired a couple of their 97% inletted laminated stocks. I think that they could have done a bit better in how they carved the stock from the blank in order to bring out more blue on the right side of the electric blue stock. Alternating white black blue strips instead of doubling up on the white would be preferred also. I suppose in retrospect one could have tried to special request it.

The purple sapphire one came out a little nicer.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Earl Smith:

Anyone know if it's ok to send barrel sight or receiver hole plug screws to Sweden?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Those are not gun parts are they, specifically, if you are accused of smuggling gun parts to Sweden?
Plug screws have many non firearm applicants.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Those are not gun parts are they, specifically, if you are accused of smuggling gun parts to Sweden?
Plug screws have many non firearm applicants.

They have no functionality other than to plug up a hole left by a different screw. They don't contribute to the function of a firearm. Still as petty as it seems, it's better to ask.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
First stock I ever did was a Richards's for my father-in-law's Rem 7mm Mag. I agree, they are turned better than must I have seen. It was heavy on the sides, didn't have a band saw so used a table saw and still probably left too much wood. Other than that, it was pretty good externally, don't remember a huge of amount of inletting.

Best approach is duplicating. I used gunstockduplucating.com one time it was amazing work. Looks like they are no longer around?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote