Tools

Chub Eastman...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
we lost another one.

Again, we are diminished...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ummm, back in 2014.

Doug

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
back in 2014.

August 2014 I "think"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Chub was a good man who really understood rifles. In fact the rifle I plan on carrying this spring bear season is the FN Husqvarna that he rebarreled to 375 Ruger and wrote about right after it was introduced.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad, but old news, Rich.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Wow....... has it been that long already. Just seems like yesterday that I heard Chub had passed away. He was a good guy and I thoroughly enjoyed the conversations I had with him over the years.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops...

The announcement of his estate sale made it read like he just died recently.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed reading his articles, even though I don't remember seeing a lot of them. He always seemed to have a joyous sense of discovery in what he wrote. His articles seemed like he wanted to share his findings in a personal way directly to me.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I met him one time at FNAWS (when it was called FNAWS).

He was in the booth of a gunsmith, helping him. I can't remember the gunsmith's name. He designed the Nosler rifle. Or helped Nosler copy it from Howa.

I only met him one time, thought he was a curmudgeony bastard, but I was 24 and just stepped off the airplane from Iraq. So my direction in life was a bit different. But I was a bit star-struck trying to find Storming Norman or Chuck Yeager, and wasn't really impressed with much of anything that day.

His writing was excellent!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I met him one time at FNAWS (when it was called FNAWS).

He was in the booth of a gunsmith, helping him. I can't remember the gunsmith's name. He designed the Nosler rifle. Or helped Nosler copy it from Howa.

I only met him one time, thought he was a curmudgeony bastard, but I was 24 and just stepped off the airplane from Iraq. So my direction in life was a bit different. But I was a bit star-struck trying to find Storming Norman or Chuck Yeager, and wasn't really impressed with much of anything that day.

His writing was excellent!

Like alot of old jar heads who had seen their share of combat, he could at times seem a curmudgeony old bastard, but he had a heart of gold and a depth of experience and knowledge that was/is rare in the gunwriting industry.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AMEN Phil, I didn't know him well, but I can relate to curmudgeon breed charteristics!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote