THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    VZ Junker to Square Bridge Kurz (well hopefully)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VZ Junker to Square Bridge Kurz (well hopefully)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow; good job; doing it the hard way. I usually weld them onto the existing bridge but you do get a new bolt race this way. Yes, your pics are way big.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Out of my league.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Armstrong" shaper

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beyond me, but this looks amazing.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice . Do you have more pictures of the broach?

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all that work why not just make a complete action. I love metal work but you are going way beyond fun for me! Very interesting project!!!

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great work. Keep the pictures coming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to see quality tig work. Not easy on some of the gun steels.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recommend using a gas lens for the hard to reach places, but, from looking at your weld, your probably a better welder than me, and already knew about those! Big Grin

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very very cool, I've never seen this done before. I'm unfamiliar with how the broach is used, is it pulled through? And what cartridge do you have in mind for the action? If I remember correctly, the original kurz mag box was something like 2.725", how long is the box going to be on your project? Thanks and I'll be following along closely Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found with some mauser receivers pre-heating around 350-400 works well to curb the porosity. I usually post heat as well, let them soak for about an hour, and shut the oven off allowing them to slowly cool.

Not sure it really helps, but, that is what my training tells me to do and it makes me feel better! dancing

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once the porosity starts it can be hard to get rid of, especially in a tight corner where it is difficult to grind out. Frustration usually sets in big time. Tips you may or may not know to stop contamination of the weld zone-
- Hold post flow onto weld 5 sec. or so.
- Keep your filler rod in the post flow to stop it scaling, or snip the end off before every pass.
- If you don't have post flow then wire brush everything bright before every pass.
Good luck!!!

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
MORE! MORE! MORE!!! dancing

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
yes this is very interesting.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue with a customers 1909 receiver. I cut all the weld out, preheated to 400 and that seemed to help immensely.

VZ could be something else entirely.

Metallurgical analysis does not cost a great deal, I wonder, could we get a group together to pay for the cost of it and find a donor vz-24 to have analysed.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know jack sh*t about this but...
As Italy paid CZ for their steel recipie to make the carcano out of, maybe a cheap way would be to test a carcano?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A later model Carcano receiver is way tougher than any military Mauser.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd chip in for the sake of science.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll save you the time and destruction of an action.

I tested two VZ24's. One marked BRNO on the ring, the other with a Crest on the Ring. Neither was marked with a date, but due to the marking being different, I assume that they were made in different times. Are any marked with a date code?

3 checks per receiver, here are the ranges.

Carbon 0.37-0.41%, Manganese 1.38-1.45%, Phos 0.021-0.028%, Sulfur 0.026-0.034%, Silicon 0.50-0.54%. Nothing else interesting to report. Copper, chrome, nickel, moly were all less than 0.20%.

Each had a case depth of about 0.01" or so. I polished the side of the recoil lug to look at case depth.

I checked the rear ring on each after it was recontoured. The instrument is a Spectro Spectrotest. We use it at work for quick product checks. The recontoured area was checked to make sure I was getting a base metal reading with no influence from the added carbon in the case layer.

As to accuracy of the instrument, the carbon content is probably a little lower than it read by 0.005-0.008%, and the sulfur is probably lower as well. Carbon and sulfur are hard to analyze using a spectrometer, but it is close enough.

The carbon and manganese are the important elements, the silicon is used to deoxidize the steel (kill it), the phos and sulfur are residual from the open hearth furnace or cupola practice of the time. Feed stock would have been iron ore and those two elements come along for the ride. The rest of the elements are below any real effective level, though they could help a little.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting Doug, I will ask some of the more knowledgeable welders and metallurgists at work if they know what specifically in the composition might be causing it.

Do you keep your interpass temperatures pretty low? From your pictures before it does not look like you are getting it really hot.

As a side note, could I purchase the tang from you? I have been looking for a tang that I can cut apart and measure the threads under a comparator.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Any, update Doug?

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting work and glad you have the time and skill to preform it.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work in refining and deal with a fair amount of welded carbon steel pipe though I am not a welder. It is not unusual to see BHN in the HAZ in excess of 300 after welding. We typically heat treat at 1150F or so to bring the BHN back down to 180 or so and to restore the lattice in the steel. It would be curious to see if PWHT addressed your issues.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What type of filler rod are you using?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Let me double check before I tell you incorrectly, but from *memory* I use ER80S-7? Or maybe D-2? Anyway, point being, I have run into this issue before with porosity welding up actions. My experiences were nowhere near as scientific as yours, (nor am I near the welder) but I found that as long as I was adding filler material to the puddle I did not have porosity issues. As soon as I stopped adding filler material and tried moving just the parent metal around I had bad porosity issues.

Similarly, I went though the variables assuming it was me. Welded on some 1018, 4140, and a few other misc pieces laying about with no issues.

I found after baking the action at ~400 deg for about an hour, then always feeding filler material whenever I formed a puddle solved the issue.

Now, all that being said, I did a square bridge on a 1908 Brazilian and never had an issue with multiple passes. 1909 Argentine I had a lot of issues.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The welding rod is usually a different composition than the parent material being weld. The reason is usually for strength, cracking,wetting and porosity. Examples would be welding aluminum. You don't use a rod made of 6061 to join 6061 togather. I have seen some stainless steel vacuum joins done without rod but they are usually a low stress joint. If the connection sees high stress a welding rod is always added in stainless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a gentleman in the American Gunmakers who has done this type of work successfully before. His name is Stephen Heilmann. Maybe you could ask him what he does.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote