New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeler query
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am in need of a project for the DSC 2018 show and thinking of a caliber, any suggestions? 9.3x62? 404Jeff?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
.303?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
.318 WR

Mike

Posts: 21361 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
.318 WR

That's a good one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3 x 62.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
an 85 in one of those 50-110, 45-90 etc...

Posts: 6422 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
.318 WR

I second this, with an open grip rigby style stock.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62 on a Mauser, maybe open sights with a Lyman 35.

Posts: 426 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Question is, is it a project for the show you intend to sell at said show. I would vote for 9.3x62 which is seeing a revival of interest here in the States. 318 WR is a cool caliber but you are slicing a small group of buyers even thinner with a near obsolete caliber... just my $.02.

Now if those who suggested an oddball caliber were to put a deposit down I would say "full steam ahead, Captain"!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a loose (or close to exact, if you wish) copy of Ernest Hemingway's Griffin and Howe 1903 Springfield chambered in 9.3x62 instead of 30-06! Instead of a G&H side mount, use QD bases and rings such as Alaska Arms or some such. Make up a nifty QD rear aperture from an XS sight systems or something similar. Such a rifle would be unique blend of modern, classic, American, and European. Hemingway use his 06' extensively in Europe with 220 grain softs and solids. The 9.3x62 isn't a breathtaking improvement over the 06', but it's a great round and might be an attention getter in this setup.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Question is, is it a project for the show you intend to sell at said show. I would vote for 9.3x62 which is seeing a revival of interest here in the States. 318 WR is a cool caliber but you are slicing a small group of buyers even thinner with a near obsolete caliber... just my $.02.

Now if those who suggested an oddball caliber were to put a deposit down I would say "full steam ahead, Captain"!

That and the 318 WR requires very little attention to feeding. The 9,3x62 at least requires some attention to get proper stacking of 5 down and impeccable feeding. The .404 J of course would showcase your ability to make an action feed but, the market is definitely smaller.

You are planning to use a Mauser 98?

In 98's, the 9,3x62 was always my #1 most requested build, followed closely by the 6.5x55 then the .338-06.

The 9,3x64 and 8x68S were surprisingly popular as well.

I'd say select a caliber that will allow you to build a rifle that showcases the skills you want to promote.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Jim, That depends on your target audience. Pick the type that would be most attracted to your product. Then pick the caliber.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Am in need of a project for the DSC 2018 show and thinking of a caliber, any suggestions? 9.3x62? 404Jeff?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a left-handed 404 with a 15in lop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
404 Jeff on a M70 action, English/French/Turkish stock, no cheek piece. Light engraving, point checkering with ribbon.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with a .338 WM; very useful in Africa and anywhere else. Hard to beat IMO.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
9.3 x 62 on a Mauser action. Classic German style stock that would make Otto Boch smile 112 years later...

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.257 roberts, I have the barrel and action I need to send to you.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . if you are going to do a 9.3 at least do a 9.3x64, the 9.3x62 is so passé. Wink

Mike

Posts: 21361 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Jim build a Heeren single shot in 6.5x57R.

Or if you can't find a Heeren or don't have time to build one (the patent drawings are at the Patent office website).

A full stock Hagn would be cool.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about I send you a 1909 Argentine action amd we do a 7x64?

Doug

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Jim build a Heeren single shot in 6.5x57R.

Or if you can't find a Heeren or don't have time to build one (the patent drawings are at the Patent office website).

A full stock Hagn would be cool.

6.5s are finally getting the popularity they deserve in the US. I first got interested reading Finn Aagard articles and picked up my first M96 Swede. I agree with BWW, how about a 6.5 single shot, or a classic lighter weight magazine rifle? Half octagon, half round with a bead at the transition.

Dave

Posts: 920 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
8x68

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the tips guys; lots of off the wall stuff and offers but, like was said earlier, we could nail this one with a deposit dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for all the tips guys; lots of off the wall stuff and offers but, like was said earlier, we could nail this one with a deposit dancing

Jim,
I have a 318 project I would like to get started. The action, barrel, stock blank and bottom metal is all here, what else would you need?

Posts: 753 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What action? Would need a reamer. lots of elbow grease and money

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
An open sight 375 H&H bolt rifle.A proper size action-not too big.A Satterlee or Precthl or other.Nice open sights.A special, dark walnut blank.Some engraving.This might appeal to many.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:

Standard length Mauser Banner, reamer was ordered Friday from Dave Manson with a 3 to 4 month wait. I wanted to do this rifle like the old Rigby's iron sights only maybe a cocking piece peep sight. I even have a big chunk of ebony if a forend tip is added.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well there you go Jim....

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an "ask and ye shall receive" type of thing. Cool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
quote:

Standard length Mauser Banner, reamer was ordered Friday from Dave Manson with a 3 to 4 month wait. I wanted to do this rifle like the old Rigby's iron sights only maybe a cocking piece peep sight. I even have a big chunk of ebony if a forend tip is added.

WHen you get close to having the reamer, give me a call. Should be able to work something out

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
quote:

WHen you get close to having the reamer, give me a call. Should be able to work something out

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,
I will do that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't you want to get a jump on the other components while waiting for the reamer?Just saying.

Posts: 20124 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beibs, I just looked and that reamer is available for rent from 4-D. Could save a bunch of money and time with the rental.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would speed things up, for sure.

Posts: 20124 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beibs, I just looked and that reamer is available for rent from 4-D. Could save a bunch of money and time with the rental.

Jim,
I saw that also, call me strange but I always like to buy my own reamers so if I ever need them again I have them.
John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the target audience is DSC, I'd agree with a 404 Jeffery - type of action, accessories: optional.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote