New
Find
Notify
Tools

A 30 Year Search
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A few weeks ago a friend sent me a text asking if I was still looking for a Linden stocked rifle. He knew that I had been looking to add a Linden rifle to my collection for some time. He also mentioned that it was a Hornet, which immediately took me back 30 some odd years when I was studying Monty Kennedys checkering book and trying to teach myself how to scratch up stocks with my dad’s old checkering tools. Well, with the help of Kennedy, Fisher, Shelhamer, Hearn, and the others in the book, I was able to teach myself to do a passable job of checkering.

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Springfield 1922 trainer Hornet conversions. Michael Petrov once told me he tried to collect particular rifles from the individual craftsmen when he could. White’s Wundhammer as an example for him. Well for me, one of those rifles is the Linden stocked 1922 in Kennedys book.

I’ve been looking off and on for that rifle for the last 30 odd years. I can’t pass up a custom Springfield without checking, and “1922 Hornet” is a popular search on gunbroker for me. So when my friend told me about a Linden Hornet, my first question was “is it a 1922?” In due time, pictures were sent, the connection was made, and I was able to bring home a rifle I had been looking for for over 30 years. Other than the addition of a side mount for the Zeiss scope, the rifle is as it is pictured in Kennedys book.

To say I am tickled is an understatement. I never really expected to find the rifle, much less for it to be in the condition it is after all these years. I can’t wait to get some rounds down it and maybe get a ground hog or prairie dog or two with it.

John

Posts: 553 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Is that jeweling in the cocking piece groove?

Greg

Posts: 426 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cool gun!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7533 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
You did great young man!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a great story!!! Congrats on the find. A very cool rifle, made even better by the tale.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I love it when a plan comes together. Great story.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5124 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Wow- that's not just a piece of history, but a piece of artwork!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up that book, and I liked that particular rifle, too. I have almost given up finding any 1922 I can ustify the price of, let alone a custom cover girl.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your successful quest.
Beautiful rifle and worthy of the wait.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi--very nice--I have always enjoyed looking at rifles from that era
thanks for posting
sydney

one of us
posted Hide Post
A narrowed rear tang. Nice.

Craftsman

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love Story...update 2017.

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

Congrats.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Feels good when the plan works... doesn't it?

Lovely piece of Americana.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A wonderful acquisition, but you might want to consider removing the Zeiss and substituting a Unertl Small Game scope or its Fecker or Lyman equivalent, to put it back in original condition.

Is it a single shot, or does it have a working magazine?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
A wonderful acquisition, but you might want to consider removing the Zeiss and substituting a Unertl Small Game scope or its Fecker or Lyman equivalent, to put it back in original condition.

I have thought about that, but wood was removed from the stock for the side mount, so the base for the side mount will have to stay. Trying to fill the void with wood I think would be a bigger sin than just leaving the base. Although the optics in the Zeiss are very good.

The rifle is a repeater. Appears to be done in the same style as G&H, likely by them. I've got a bunch of these and the G&H magazine was by far the best. Just amazing how well they feed those little Hornets.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:

Why it is what it is.

Posts: 19402 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Glad you got that rifle, it was fun to handle it at the SCI.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:
Glad you got that rifle, it was fun to handle it at the SCI.

That is a long way from Minnesota.

Hope all is going well.

John