New
Find
Notify
Tools

wm evans
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
a bit ago i acquired an old wm evans double. The gun was quite interesting because it was in 375 H&H, a caliber never chambered in a wm evans. Well that didn't matter because anyone knows from reading any of peter capsticks books that a guy just has to own a wm evans. In any case it took some research to find out what had happened to this rifle. It was sent to ferlach in the 1950's for a total redo. a A&D forend was added, rechambered and reregulated to 375. new stock and scope mounting was added. thus being far from original i decided to restock it with a rather nice piece of english, since the stock was currently quite plain.
Well this project made me realize quite quickly of just how much of an amateur i am. I'd work on it a bit and put aside, work, set aside, this went on for over a year. In fact it went on so long that i had to make a trip or 2 up to jim kobes for help, because i couldn't remember just how to put the thing together again. humbly i present some pictures, but never agin am i going to tackle restocking an english double, i'm to old to finish another

in any case it did turn out fairly well. enough so to be fitting to an old evans

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're better than Kobe said.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that wouldn't be hard, now would it! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Butch!

Posts: 10648 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Famous last words... "How hard could it be?"

Great job!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done. But a beavertail? Really?

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, it just needs an appropriate christening, a nice buff in Africa should complete the project?

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Did I sell you that blank?

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1022 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't remember who i bought it from - just that it came from colorado

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that was me. Went to gunsmithing school up there, then came back to Texas to work with Bailey Bradshaw. Glad to see it went to good use and was "honored". With all that twisting and turning it couldnt have been easy to work with.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1022 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well good - that was you. glad to have you see it cause it was a very nice blank. hope the gunsmithing business will be good for you