THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Nice old Springfield fell into my lap.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nice old Springfield fell into my lap.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted
Looks like she got lost in the Weatherby factory back in the 60's, but should clean up ok with a silvers pad and a rust blue. Looks to be an early John Dubiel stocked rifle.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 249 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
...can't see anything wrong with that stock.

Roger

Posts: 1036 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the old Springfields!

Posts: 426 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. And yes, the white line pad needs to go away.

Posts: 709 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle Irl. A red pad would certainly straighten it right out.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1789 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The only thing wrong with that beautiful rifle is the recoil pad.

That is a keeper!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
Nice rifle Irl. A red pad would certainly straighten it right out.

That and a proper rust blue! They even got the poor Lyman.

Thro' many warlike ages,

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
A proper rifle, that.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
I love the jeweled bolt!! Beautiful rifle! From what I can see, it doesn't even look like that rifle needs a rust blue...

Posts: 606 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice, but yeah… lose the recoil pad.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 947 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
Nice, but yeah… lose the recoil pad.

Going to swap it out for a red Silvers pad.

Thro' many warlike ages,

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

That is a keeper!

My Type A Oberndorf Mauser 404 came with a white line ventilated pad virtually identical to that on ismith's rifle. With the white line spacer removed the brown pads do not actually look too bad but I found the ventilated pad did not soak up recoil as much as I would like on the narrow butt profile of the stock so eventually swapped it out for a Pachmayr Old English red pad which provides much better cushioning.

From this

to this

Posts: 3859 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

That is a keeper!

My Type A Oberndorf Mauser 404 came with a white line ventilated pad virtually identical to that on ismith's rifle. With the white line spacer removed the brown pads do not actually look too bad but I found the ventilated pad did not soak up recoil as much as I would like on the narrow butt profile of the stock so eventually swapped it out for a Pachmayr Old English red pad which provides much better cushioning.

From this

to this

I like it! I'd love to see more pictures of that rifle as well.

Thro' many warlike ages,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That is a keeper!

From this

to this

That's the ticket.

Posts: 709 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ever so nice, if I ever run across a good one like that if will have found a home..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ismith:

Not the best photos but the whole rifle (has a mount fitted from receiver to rear sight for an EER scope or red dot sight.

Posts: 3859 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love these old guns of yesteryear. The Springfields and Krag Js, customized with low combs for irons and they work just fine with a scope, those old timers knew that, its todays brain dead who smerk at the low combed stocks and scopes with there lack of experience and magazine education..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not the best photos but the whole rifle (has a mount fitted from receiver to rear sight for an EER scope or red dot sight.

I don’t know how many times I have seen pictures of your 404, but it never fails to make my pulse quicken.

I appreciate the addition of a scope base between the receiver ring and rear sight base. It transforms the rifle it into a modern all around working rifle. I would be willing to bet the creators of those rifles would have appreciated the updates.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Very nice!

Couple questions: Did they remove the sides of the mag box and use the stock for the mag box sides? And was this one made for Charles heyer in Nairobi?