New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luft rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up commercial Mauser actioned rifle on a whim. Barrel markings were Luft 30 magnum. I found a little bit on several searches. No real history though.
I did find that the 30 magnum was prior to the 300 win mag being introduced. Really a 30-338 as we know it today.
This rifle has been rechambered to 300 win mag. I really wish it hadn't but it is what it is. Just an honest use as far as wear old custom rifle. Washington state around Spokane is a out the only info I can find. The shop was in business about 10-20 years. Depends on what name I used in the search.
I am like a dog chasing a cat, I enjoy the chase as much as catching it.
So if any of you gents here have any info or could point me in a direction would be thankful for the help.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
if your gunsmith was around this area (spokane), i would hazard a guess that the Biesen's knew them. Last i was there, Al was still talkative, but hard to understand. Roger, though, will talk your ear off if he knew the gunsmith.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From another site:

Your rifle was probably built by the Luft Brothers in Spokane, WA in the early 1950's to mid-60's. The Luft brothers worked on custom Borchardt rifles but chambered for modern cartridges.

All of the old short belted magnums; Luft, Mashburn, Ackley, O'Neil, Apex, etc., were made from the 300 H&H or 375 H&H since that is all that was available back then. I believe that the Luft Magnums were in the 2.5" class of cases as opposed to the full size H&H cases. This would be similar to but not the same as the .300 Win. Magnum or the 7mm Remington Magnum.

Loaded ammunition will be as rare as hen's teeth if you can even find any outside of cartridge collections. Quality Cartridge lists both the .285 and the .30 Luft cartridges as ones they can load for you. Contacting them to buy loaded ammunition would be your first step. Otherwise you could cast the chamber and have dies made to allow you to load your own.

The Luft brothers also made a another wildcat, the 333 Express which was very similar to the 333 OKH.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pigmaster:
From another site:

Your rifle was probably built by the Luft Brothers in Spokane, WA in the early 1950's to mid-60's. The Luft brothers worked on custom Borchardt rifles but chambered for modern cartridges.

All of the old short belted magnums; Luft, Mashburn, Ackley, O'Neil, Apex, etc., were made from the 300 H&H or 375 H&H since that is all that was available back then. I believe that the Luft Magnums were in the 2.5" class of cases as opposed to the full size H&H cases. This would be similar to but not the same as the .300 Win. Magnum or the 7mm Remington Magnum.

Loaded ammunition will be as rare as hen's teeth if you can even find any outside of cartridge collections. Quality Cartridge lists both the .285 and the .30 Luft cartridges as ones they can load for you. Contacting them to buy loaded ammunition would be your first step. Otherwise you could cast the chamber and have dies made to allow you to load your own.

The Luft brothers also made a another wildcat, the 333 Express which was very similar to the 333 OKH.

You missed this: This rifle has been rechambered to 300 win mag. I really wish it hadn't but it is what it is.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the lead at Biesens. The nice lady on the phone has a customer Colorado that may have some info. She had also heard of them but just in conversations. The customer had some type of commemorative rifle done up.
At least they were some what known in parts of the country.
Thanks again
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Paula's probably a little young to remember much. hopefully she'll ask her dad, Roger, about them.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote