THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Griffin & Howe - what exactly are they?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Griffin & Howe - what exactly are they?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see that Griffin & Howe are opening a new facility.
I hear about them in terms of rifles, shotguns, etc.

What exactly are they? Custom gun brokers or makers or just a retail outfit with a familiar name that makes a person think they are something special???

Please educate me.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The History of Griffin and Howe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffin_%26_Howe

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In that wiki blurb there's a photo of Hemingway with a downed Buffalo, the caption identifies it as a lion. That's bad even by internet standards.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hogfarmer:
In that wiki blurb there's a photo of Hemingway with a downed Buffalo, the caption identifies it as a lion. That's bad even by internet standards.

Maybe the buffalo identified as a lion...sorry, couldn't resist.....

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question for Biebs

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been friends with Paul Chapman and Griffin & Howe for probably 35 years. Much of what they sell are high-end European guns, some bearing the G&H name. I've primarily used the gunsmith shop for repairs and such, and had them make a rifle or 2 over the years from actions and other parts I've owned. In the last few years they've ventured into the long-range/tactical rifle market...not sure that makes sense for their brand. After closing their retail stores in Greenwich CT and Bernardsville NJ, they are now in the Hudson Farm complex, an old estate, and have sporting clays and rifle ranges on site. They seem to concentrate on the shotgun sports. They cater top the well-heeled folks in the Bedminster, Far Hills, and Bernardsville Mountains area, to whom a $12K-$50K firearm is not a stretch :-)

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
quote:

You have a point, that buff looks more like a lion than most of the trans "women" look like females. Human females that is.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
quote:

You have a point, that buff looks more like a lion than most of the trans "women" look like females. Human females that is.

OK, I fixed the incorrect lion callout on Wikipedia.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PIcky picky, sounds like an Star magazine or Inquirer rag gossip column. G&H are an old and respected business that we should treasure, the same as Holland and Holland, Wesley Richards, JP Sauer and sons..and a number of others as opposed to trashing..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lived 2 miles up the road when G&H moved into the former Ace Hardware location in Bernardsville, and I was in the shop from time to time until 2000. They mostly carried outdoorsy wool clothing, firearms-related items like fitted leather rifle and shotgun cases and sporting prints- bird shooting and so on. Nothing inexpensive. They also had for sale 30 or so used custom rifles, half of them magnums, that customers could handle. A doorway to the rear of the store was always open to their workshop. There was a row of 6 or 7 well-used benches, each with a large vise, ready for a gunsmith to go to work. But I never saw anyone at work, and never any work in progress. It was pretty clear that their gunsmith business hadn't survived the bankruptcy.

Posts: 78 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With Quote