Find
Notify
Tools

Brno ZKK 602 375HH Restocked
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted
Well I figure with the amount of wood getting cut this week I figured I would add my latest project.

Some may remember I found a mint BRNO a few months ago, it had the hideous 80's style stock on it. So I happened to have a stong plain grained french walnut blank on hand and so I changed the furnature a bit. The pics were taken today, it's a getting ready for whiskering. I followed Les Brooks' method where hand tools only were used and stole some ideas from the ZKK 602 404 thread in this forum. It has taken me about 35 days (minus weekends) to finalize the look. There is very minor adjusments need to be made but other than that shes ready for sealing and finishing.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow ... I think you've done a lovely job on that Brno. More photos please.

Posts: 81 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 06 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

I'm also not keen on the stock shape of those ones. In South Africa they used to be sold as the "Deluxe" model ....

Would be nice to see the wood grain and a close-up of the inletting.

Much better job than I could hope to do.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
I don't have internet in the apartment, but I will add pics when I get back, it'll just be a few days.

Adam

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Big difference, nice work. I have a 375 just like yours. I won't replace the factory stock but will reshape it, install 90 degree ebony tip, steel grip cap and new pad. Believe it or not, but there is enough meat on those California style stocks to whittle into a decent classic version. I did the same thing on a "Deluxe" style ZKK601 in 223.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Big difference, nice work. I have a 375 just like yours. I won't replace the factory stock but will reshape it, install 90 degree ebony tip, steel grip cap and new pad. Believe it or not, but there is enough meat on those California style stocks to whittle into a decent classic version. I did the same thing on a "Deluxe" style ZKK601 in 223.

I had thought about this aswell, but the Monte' Carlo style isn't my ideal stock design. I am reshapping the original stock but had some serious work to do. I put a 90* cut on the heel of the stock and epoxied in a piece of walnut to straighten the comb, then I reshaped the toe and installed a new pad. The forened is getting a roud style and no tip. I'll post pics when it's complete.

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shape of the new stock looks nice. Are you planning to add some color by staining or just clear coat it?

Btw...you have way too much open floor space in your shop!

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on leaving it the natural color, no alkanet root on this one. The figure isn't stunning but it does have elegant fiddle back throughout.I should apply the first coats of filler this week. And by filler I mean urethane and mineral spirits to seal the pores.

Adam

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Holy Smokes Batman! That's nice!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Looks good and a great find.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking good!

If you bring the 375 with you saturday we can take some nice UP CLOSE pictures to show the friendly people.

We can also show gzig5 what a good open floor plan looks like! rotflmo

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking good Adam. Keep up the good work.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Put some denatured alcohol or mineral spirits on there and show us the grain - we can't wait for the finished product!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post

Her she is with the pores sealed and the first coat of Spar on her.

Now before you go thinking " I see those gaps", this is a stock first and foremost for a grade, and secondly this is going to be my pattern stock, so I relieved the sides and bottom metal and bedded them so I can duplicate it on a 1:1 scale. Other than having to make the pistol grip tight I like the design and aesthetics.

And the SOB's yellow as a stick of butter.

ADam

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Other than having to make the pistol grip tight I like the design and aesthetics.

And the SOB's yellow as a stick of butter.

ab,

Fantastic!

I don't get wrapped-around-the-axle concerning particular stock style, features, grips, etc. and for sure I don't nit-pic a gap or two, barrel contour or forend cap either - I just take 'em as they come and as far as I'm concerned you've done a super job on this stock, I like it!

My hands are small to medium sized and alot of the long, gradual, swept back pistol grips (open) make for a long, uncomfortable reach to the trigger for me anyway.

Outstanding!

tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I actually like the hogback on mine, but nice work!

Posts: 4849 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate to land a nice 602 a couple of years ago after passing on a very good deal whilst living in Alberta. It is the "non-Americanized" one being properly stocked lean and included low QD rings. A 375 H&H that I had the stock re-padded, ebony forend tip added as well as the dual cross bolts. It already had the three position safety, ebony grip cap, increased forend checkering and a checkered bolt knob added when I bought it for $650 at Cabelas in Buda. The action was very nicely smoothed as well. I had the 25" barrel cut to 23" and an NECG front sight added. Also added the NECG front sight. A great piece all the way around.

[url=http://s1197.p

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice clip at $650. Nice final product as well. Weight?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5105 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Well I have the final coats of Spar on her and she looks great. When I build the next one (a 601) it'll have the longer wrist. I will post pics when I get a chance.

Boxhead you paid a $100 more for yours than I did Smiler

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a question about the wood. Is it French Walnut by virtue of color only? Or does it really come from France. I really like the pale walnut. Very Nice Work also. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
It's the species of wood, not designated via color or location but the tree it came form. It can be grown in different regions than the name, Turkish/ French/ Circassian can come from other parts of the world as long as it complies with the genus standard. That was how it was explained to me.

Thanks for the compliment. Adam