THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Jack O'Connor would swoon.......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jack O'Connor would swoon.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Or come down with a severe case of the vapors. I'm not sure which.

7lbs 1oz and she may even catch a ram this fall.

I'm also looking for a Williams steel trigger bow for it. Unfortunately getting ahold of them is absolutely impossible.

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell us a little bit more about it, Chuck.

By the way, if Williams isn't making those steel trigger bows anymore and they are a very popular item such that it would be worthwhile to make a run of them, you might contact Duane and ask him about it. I am sure he likes to keep his HAAS running.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing special really.

-Obviously the left handed Model 70 action
-SS Williams extractor
-right handed 30-06 fwt factory takeoff barrel turned upside down.
-McMillan Hunters EDGE
-Williams floorplate that came with the rifle
-extra low Leupold DD's
-Leupold M8 4X

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Nice work Chuck....how 'bout some more details? Chambering, 'smith etc. etc.

Is that my old gun? bbl?

EDIT: Oops, I musta posted right after you.

What did you do with the LH SS Classic?

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
must be the angle of the photo or something because that doesn't look like a featherweight barrel.

Anyway, a damn nice "flinta" just the same.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmfic1:
Nice work Chuck....how 'bout some more details? Chambering, 'smith etc. etc.

Is that my old gun? bbl?

EDIT: Oops, I musta posted right after you.

What did you do with the LH SS Classic?

Don't worry, it's safe. Big Grin

However, it's my CM G145XXX first year production action and Echols EDGE stock along with several other parts en route to Bill Leeper that has me the most excited.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
must be the angle of the photo or something because that doesn't look like a featherweight barrel.

Anyway, a damn nice "flinta" just the same.

The shank is shortened slightly to allow correct headspace. Eventually the rifle will get a .284 Douglas fwt chambered for the 7X57.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I think J O'C would find much to like about your rifle. He'd approve of (1) the M70 action, (2) the .30-'06 cartridge, (3) the barrel length and contour, (4) the Leupold 4X scope, (5) the light weight, (5) the stock contour and dimensions, and (6) the low-key non-reflective finish.

Synthetic stocks were mainly seen on target rifles (if at all) in O'Connor's era and were just starting to appear on some custom hunting rifles. However O'Connor was a practical chap, I suspect he could be persuaded to at least try an Edge stock on a mountain rifle. You could probably convince him to accept the DD bases/rings as well.

That's a pretty nice rifle you have put together, well-chosen components making up into a very practical package. Good luck on your sheep hunt.

Of course, installing the barrel "upside down" could be a problem, won't the bullets be confused?

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
"My gun" looks wicked.........I really want that sukker back.

I for the life of me, cant figure out why I traded that to you Frowner

I have a couple @ Leeper"s too, they're all finished, I'm just waiting to get them back.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack would like them both! Congrats on both, but, I must confess to liking the stock on the stainless rifle a little more! Wink

Posts: 38 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 21 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shocked. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Huntr7X57:
Jack would like them both! Congrats on both, but, I must confess to liking the stock on the stainless rifle a little more! Wink[/QUOTE

Dave Anderson:

Sorry...totally disagree. Jack and his wife were at my house in Pleasant Hill CA, about two years before he died. We chatted about the (then) new rage of plastic and stainless. I won't say he hated the new rage, but he certainly thought guns should be steel and wood. This is not to bolster MY WELL KNOWN position, but to stop putting thoughts and words into a dead man's mouth.

By the way, my wife and I were totally mezmerized by his non stop antecdotes and views of the animal world. Eleanor said almost nothing...I suspect this was her normal role...lovely lady!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Huntr7X57:
Jack would like them both! Congrats on both, but, I must confess to liking the stock on the stainless rifle a little more! Wink[/QUOTE

Dave Anderson:

Sorry...totally disagree. Jack and his wife were at my house in Pleasant Hill CA, about two years before he died. We chatted about the (then) new rage of plastic and stainless. I won't say he hated the new rage, but he certainly thought guns should be steel and wood. This is not to bolster MY WELL KNOWN position, but to stop putting thoughts and words into a dead man's mouth.

You've confused two totally different replies by two totally different posters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

However O'Connor was a practical chap, I suspect he could be persuaded to at least try an Edge stock on a mountain rifle.

Please don't tell me that. I think "Cactus Jack" was so used to blued steel and walnut that he never would have accepted bright stainless steel and composite for his own hunting rifles. At least that's what a lot of us old-timers want to believe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My comments referred to the first rifle, not the second one with stainless steel barrel and action.

Repeating what I said earlier (and referencing only the first rifle shown), I think J O'C would find several things about it of which he would approve: the M70 action, the .30-'06 cartridge, the barrel length and contour, the Leupold 4X scope, the stock dimensions, the light weight.

No, I doubt O'Connor would ever set aside his beloved pair of Biesen custom .270s for this or any other rifle. At the same time he would not be ignorant of the utility of a modern composite, i.e. light weight, strength, stability.

My point, which I could have made clearer, is this is not the sort of rifle O'Connor would despise.

What O'Connor disliked in a rifle was ostentation; features which detract from utility; useless decoration, shiny, glittering finishes, poor workmanship of any sort.

He didn't even like fancy wood, preferring for his own rifles stocks which were straight grained, properly seasoned, perfectly inletted and shaped. He valued stability in a rifle, the ability to hold its zero in varying weather conditions and from year to year.

How do I know this? It's not hard. O'Connor wrote it all down. To know what he liked is simply a matter of reading. I envy those who had the opportunity to meet O'Connor but his views are out there for anyone to read.

Other than the two novels, it would be very difficult to show me an O'Connor book or article I don't have. I've been reading his work for going on fifty years and they have influenced not just my views on rifles and hunting but to some extent the course of my life.

Here's a link to a rifle which I know O'Connor would like, one I had built by three generations of the Biesen family. If the link doesn't work go to www.davesgunpages.com and click on the "Ricochet" page.

http://web.me.com/davesgunvide...neration_custom.html