THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    My son's Naval Academy graduation present Mauser
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son's Naval Academy graduation present Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This gun was built by me with a whole lot of help from all of my gunsmith buddies. Everyone who had a part of this have their initials engraved on the barrel flat in the stock.

The details of the gun is it is a 30-06 mauser. Gary Stiles did a lot of the work, although most not specific to this build. Gary sells me his two position swing type shrouds for mauser builds so one of them is here. Gary also turned this turk mauser to small ring dimensions, but I got the receiver from a different friend.

Gary's personal contribution to this was the blueing and engraving. Gary was crushed when he saw the corners of the taper transition were knocked off. I told him the barrel was donated by another friend and that was probably why. It doesn't look too bad to me but Gary was just crushed. The barrel was a Douglas blank, and as stated earlier it is a tapered octagon. The barrel is a little short for the stock ,but this was a result of the gun being worked on at various places and various times. The availability of the tapered octagon was a very late change.

The stock is Brazilian Rosewood with genuine African Ebony on the forend, grip cap, and buttplate. Dan Haney made the stock, inlet, finished, and checkered the stock.

I fit the barrel and firing components as well as scrounged the parts. The bottom metal is from an Interarms Mark X. I am not sure if the bolt is an Mark X or FN. I have a close up of the proofs on the bolt handle stub if anyone can clear that up. I think it is an FN, but am not sure. The trigger is a Timney Sportsman. The scope is a Lepold 3-9 Rifleman in Leupold STD mounts.

A lot of guys dontated parts and labors to this effort. My son was enlisted and sent to Annapolis. He graduated in 2005 and is on his second combat tour in Afghanistan.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely. I am sure that your son will be exceptionally proud to own and use the rifle, just as you are exceptionally proud of him and proud to be his Dad.

Congratulations!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job. The extra long forend grows on you after a while!

My nephew graduated from the Academy this year. I bestowed his grandfather's rifles and shotgun upon him as a reward.

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
When I read Rosewood then scrolled down to the pics I was pleasantly surprised at how nice looking that wood is. I can't recall seeing a piece large enough for a stock. Congratulations to your son on his accomplishment and kudos to you and your friends.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck! I graduated from USNA in 1969. Anyone wanting to send some rifles just ask and I'll PM my FFL's address.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I liekd that stock design there good. Going to make something for a M98 7mm Rem Mag build this summer and fall .

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
This gun was built by me with a whole lot of help from all of my gunsmith buddies. Everyone who had a part of this have their initials engraved on the barrel flat in the stock.

The details of the gun is it is a 30-06 mauser. Gary Stiles did a lot of the work, although most not specific to this build. Gary sells me his two position swing type shrouds for mauser builds so one of them is here. Gary also turned this turk mauser to small ring dimensions, but I got the receiver from a different friend.

Gary's personal contribution to this was the blueing and engraving. Gary was crushed when he saw the corners of the taper transition were knocked off. I told him the barrel was donated by another friend and that was probably why. It doesn't look too bad to me but Gary was just crushed. The barrel was a Douglas blank, and as stated earlier it is a tapered octagon. The barrel is a little short for the stock ,but this was a result of the gun being worked on at various places and various times. The availability of the tapered octagon was a very late change.

The stock is Brazilian Rosewood with genuine African Ebony on the forend, grip cap, and buttplate. Dan Haney made the stock, inlet, finished, and checkered the stock.

I fit the barrel and firing components as well as scrounged the parts. The bottom metal is from an Interarms Mark X. I am not sure if the bolt is an Mark X or FN. I have a close up of the proofs on the bolt handle stub if anyone can clear that up. I think it is an FN, but am not sure. The trigger is a Timney Sportsman. The scope is a Lepold 3-9 Rifleman in Leupold STD mounts.

A lot of guys dontated parts and labors to this effort. My son was enlisted and sent to Annapolis. He graduated in 2005 and is on his second combat tour in Afghanistan.

Beautiful piece, may your son have years of happy memories and hunting with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My heartiest congrats! to your son ... and to you for a present that will live on in the family for generations!

Nice idea ... and well fit for one of the greater accomplishments in life Big Grin

tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote