New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action for Safari Rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to build a safari rifle for a trip I'm hoping to make in the summer of '14.

I guess the first place to start would be figuring out which action to build on.

So which action should I go with for a safari rifle? The caliber on this will be a .375 H&H.

Posts: 294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Mauser is what I was thinking of going with. Where should I look for a Mauser action?

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
CZ 550--great solid action can be made an awesome action with Duane's bottom metal and a top notch builder like Duane, Lon Paul or a host of other talented guys out there... have fun with your build.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cz 550, or even better the older ZKK602

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Rich, you don't have a lot of time to build a full custom. Keep that in mind as you do your planning and get delivery assurances from reputable builders before you set yourself up for heartache.

My first question is always, "What's your budget?" With that number in mind, it's much easier to steer you towards the proper action.

Good luck with your project and your safari plans.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
What is your recoil tolerance as well? If you're not too fond of recoil a light Whitworth Mauser may not be your thing, while the heavier CZ may be more to your liking.

You might want to see if there are any customs for sale that fit your needs too. That saves you the time of waiting for one to be built and usually some cash.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silvertip1:
What do you want to spend on the action and the cost to get it ready for a custom rifle? You might do well to look for a really fine example of a Whitworth in .375 and go hunting.

I don't have a set budget.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Rich, you don't have a lot of time to build a full custom. Keep that in mind as you do your planning and get delivery assurances from reputable builders before you set yourself up for heartache.

My first question is always, "What's your budget?" With that number in mind, it's much easier to steer you towards the proper action.

Good luck with your project and your safari plans.

I'm planning to do the work myself, aside from the stock which I may have a local friend do. I don't have a set budget.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Looking at your timeframe, I recommend the following…

1st: Browning FN Safari Grade .375 H&H Magnum (Guns International - $1199 US).
http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100314518

2nd: Winchester M70 Safari Express .375 H&H Magnum (MSRP - $1420 US). Or,

3rd: CZ 550 Magnum Express Rifle .375 H&H Magnum (MSRP - $2642 US).

Go with #1 or #2 and just spend sufficient monies to have a reputable gunsmith check the rifle for 100% feeding and smooth the action if any issues exist then start shooting to become 100% familiar with the rifle. Do the same with #3 – your just starting at higher purchase price.

If you don’t like the stock on any of the above three rifles – make your own as you’ve noted and sell the factory stock to recover some of your expenses…

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich-:
The Mauser is what I was thinking of going with. Where should I look for a Mauser action?

If you want a magnum length mauser clone
Granite Mountain
Golmatic/Prechtl
Johannsen

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jim, where are you buying your CZ from? You can get a new one for half that.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of observations: 1) summer of 2014 is only 18 months away -- good luck getting a rifle built, back to you, scoped, loads worked up, etc. If you can, more power to you -- but I did note you had no budget and that might help; 2) All suggestions are good, but I would go with a '98 Mauser or a M70 Winchester -- or one of it's clones.

Posts: 10027 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
quote:

Jim, where are you buying your CZ from? You can get a new one for half that.
Did you notice the MSRP? That's directly from CZ's USA website... I personally don't own a CZ but have nothing against them. The Winchester should also sell for less than its MSRP...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm planning to do the work myself, aside from the stock which I may have a local friend do. I don't have a set budget.

Please don't take this as being mean spirited or derogatory. I see a disconnect between having enough experience in opening Mausers to 375 length that I would want to potentially hunt DG with and asking basic advice on which Mauser to use and where to source one.

You may be better served by going the Whitworth or CZ route and just doing some cosmetic metal work.

That's meant to be helpful not hurtful.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i agree with everyone above....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
I would look for a pre-64 375 Winchester rifle. I have seen many listed for 1500 to 2000 and in very good condition. You can do a minimal restoration and have a great rifle and a investment too.

and of course there's always cream puffs floating around.

http://www.cabelas.com/product...6y%3D0&Ntt=pre64+375

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FAST996:
I would look for a pre-64 375 Winchester rifle. I have seen many listed for 1500 to 2000 and in very good condition. You can do a minimal restoration and have a great rifle and a investment too.

Best Idea here.

Also if you want to do more work a Dakota action is an option:
http://www.brownells.com/rifle...rod6755.aspx?ttver=1

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to build a safari rifle for a trip I'm hoping to make in the summer of '14.

I guess the first place to start would be figuring out which action to build on.

So which action should I go with for a safari rifle? The caliber on this will be a .375 H&H.
There are lots of used custom Mausers (my favorite) and Winchester M70's with the controlled round feed action from which to build a dandy rifle from. Other actions can be dandy as well like the ones already mentioned. To find one in .375H&H might be a bit more of a chore. My advice is to visit as many gun shops as you can as soon as you can and work the action on as many as you can. Some bolts work smoothly and some are not so hot. This is most important. Don't miss that shot of a lifetime messing with a rickety bolt on a follow up shot! When you find the one that feels tight and butter smooth, then you have your basis for a dandy Safari gun. You might even get lucky and find the action and caliber that suits your needs. I'm still kicking myself in the posterior for not buying a custom 1909 Argentine Mauser rifle with the smoothest action I've even handled because I didn't care for the caliber or the stock. It was well worth the $600 it sold for. It's all about the feel brother. Barrels and/or stocks can be changed. Have fun.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5113 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that Browning FN above is not a salt gun that is the best deal by far.

Buy it hunt & with it. If it is not your favorite you can get your money back later.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does this look like something you would be interested in? I'm sure Mike could stock it for you and you'd be good to go.

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100310892

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i couldn't tell from the photos if the Browning Safari has the long M98 extractor or not. Looked like maybe not...

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like old model 70's. I just picked up a nice featherweight 30-06 (1961) this afternoon for $680 total.

It would be pretty easy (and cheap) to build a 375 on.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd consider two choices given your time frame. My first choice would not require restocking as they generally come with beautiful stocks.

1) Interarms Mark X with English style cheekpiece (stay away from the Monte Carlo stock), perhaps change out the barrel if needed, trigger job, and quick release mounts with a good low powered scope. Iron sights need to shoot true and fit your natural mounting of the rifle.

2) FN Browning or Flaigs, change out the stock for a nice fitted synthetic, trigger adjustment, quick release scope low powered. Again, true shooting iron sights that fits your natural mount.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to add the Wells action to this list.

quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
quote:

If you want a magnum length mauser clone
Granite Mountain
Golmatic/Prechtl
Johannsen

Posts: 35 | Location: NE. Ga | Registered: 13 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the FN Browning (long extractor. non salt stock) camp. Great guns!
Another option is a Kimber 89 (oregon Mfg.) I have had very good luck with them.
Only issue I have with the Browning is that they typically have a LOP of 13.5" which is a tad short for me.
The Kimber 89's were 13.75"-14".
Both have 3 position safeties and control round feed.
I would follow the suggestions above. Glass them and do a trigger job.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
For a non cream puff working rifle - Mod 70 or Dakota depending on rim size. No guess work for the builder.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to the Model 70 CRF or clones of the Model 70. I prefer the newer Classic actions to a pre-64 (I've handled pre-64s but never owned one though I have come close).

I agree that Dakota's are nice, but I only handled one of them once too.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

As pointed out above, you are cutting it pretty short for any kind of a custom rifle. Here's my
suggestion: pick up an off the shelf rifle you can modify to suit your tastes. After your trip you will know better just what you will need in the future.

Here's a real value: http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=327609592

If you want to know more about it see: http://www.chuckhawks.com/a-bolt.htm

With a rifle like this in hand, you can order a stock blank from Richards Microfit and "customize"
it, or use it as is. http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

With the synthetic stock, you will also be set for an Alaskan trip as well.

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Jump all over this and forget about it. Wink

http://www.cabelas.com/product...y%3D6&Ntt=custom+375

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.prechtl-waffen.de
or
http://www.fzh-gmbh.de

Both are actually used by by leading English gunmakers.

CZ

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
If we're throwing out suggestions for already made rifles, these two get my vote:

Blued/Wood:
http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100297752

And For Stainless:
http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100306466

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the 416 Taylor Will has in the classifieds. Put a pretty wood stock on it or take it hunting with the synthetic stock.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just buy a deluxe CZ. Scope it and you're ready to go with no messing around. Fill it with 235 Barnes for plains game and 300 for Buffs. The KISS method never fails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A factory CZ is a great rifle. You really need to smooth the action first as they are a little clunky.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
If you are building a 375 H&H a Winchester or Montana Rifle Company action would be fine.

I own a CZ 550 in the 375. It has been to Africa with me three times. It is way too heavy. It feeds every time and holds five down, but it is just too BIG for a 375, perfect for a 505 Gibbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I have a Lott built on a new receiver that I bought new a few years ago. I like it but you could be right on the weight. I'll try to remember to weigh mine tomorrow.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
As I learn more about big bores my views have evolved. A Lott would be about the smallest round I would build on a CZ and I would be looking for a light stock. I do have Lott in MRC action in a McMillan stock and it is slightly overweight, but still lighter than my 375 CZ.

Of course that is only my opinion and others surely prefer different options.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I would get a blue/walnut New Haven M70 in 375H&H and send it to Mark Penrod to slick up and then go enjoy your hunt.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like a 375 H&H or a 416 Rem you could certainly do a lot worse than an off the shelf Model 70!

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now this doesn't answer your question but it's a suggestion worth considering. If you are going on a plainsgame hunt and are not married to the 375, consider an old Husqvarna 640 (they have an FN 98 action) in 9.3x62.

They are cheap, accuarate and some of them have barrel band sling swivels and banded front sights. You know, some of the "safari goodies" we want.

Replace the trigger if it has been privately imported from Sweden.If you find one that was made for export it has an adjustable trigger. And then restock it. They have horrible stocks with awful dimensions, which is my guess why they are so cheap.

You might have to do a little searching but they are around. For little money you could have a dandy plainsgame rifle! And then splurge on a double for your next DG trip!

Posts: 178 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote