Find
Notify
Tools

Action for Safari Rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Might consider a Interarms Mark X too which is a commercial version of the CRF Mauser action. I've seen them with mag chamberings. Never owned one with a mag chambering. So ,check around a bit. These Mark X's are rather plentiful and available in the $250-400 range. Might be a good idea to handle a couple, see if you like the feel at least. Have fun.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5121 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hey Rich. Take a look at this one. That is one big hole in the barrel! Not in 'your' caliber but....Built on a Mark X action. http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=332404904

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5121 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
If you are building a 375 H&H a Winchester or Montana Rifle Company action would be fine.

I own a CZ 550 in the 375. It has been to Africa with me three times. It is way too heavy. It feeds every time and holds five down, but it is just too BIG for a 375, perfect for a 505 Gibbs.

tu2

For cost and availability, the CZ would be hard to beat, $1200. But I agree on its size.
The CZ is really made for the 416 Rigby. That calibre can be loaded to be a one-rifle plains game + buffalo gun with a 350 TTSX at 2800 fps.

For a 375 level of gun, a smaller action like the Ruger would be hard to beat. The new African model can be had in 375 Ruger and will be a handier, lighter overall rifle. Just order and start fiddling. You'll be ready in time and can get a second stock at your leisure. Trigger or rebarreling? Probably not needed, but action + rebarreling risks missing your time frame. For H&H, the W70 proposals above sound resasonable.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.