THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Should I? I did!! Glen Morovitz 257 Roberts
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I? I did!! Glen Morovitz 257 Roberts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
As a few of you may have gleamed, I've been on the hunt to build a rifle that would be my finest ever. I was offered a chance to buy basically what I was looking for in a Bob. Please tell me what you think. I'll show just a few of the 38 the owner sent me today.

Here are the specs:

1-1/2 yr old.

Krieger #2ish (.605" muzzle) 24" CM, 1:10 twist.
Pre 64 M70 Ser 244,ish range
Calif English walnut, LOP 13-5/8"

Krieger chambered, installed, crowned, full blueprint.

Glen Morovitz of Newell, SD did the rest to include rust blue of all metal to include bases/rings, etc. Glassed up the action and insured 100% reliability. Sunnyhill BM. Full glass bed. Not free floated. Re-contoured tang.

Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 in S&K Sculptured bases/rings.

Some cast off.

It's in the range of what I was willing to pay for a custom build. I had a list of potential calibers and the 257 Roberts was on my list. Owner is the original owner, post custom build by Glen and he's only shot is 20-40 rds. He has several other Bob's and is only selling this to fund another custom build in a much larger caliber.

Opinions?

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, they don't get much better than that! Beautiful English Marblecake...my favorite. If it's what you want in a rifle, go for it. It's neat to have one made for yourself, but that can lead to delays, disappointments, cost overruns, and a LONG wait. If this is what you were hoping to wind up with anyway, it's a nice shortcut to happiness!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You DO know what this one is going to cost, and how long it will take to be delivered.
Right?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Yeah, I have a pretty good idea about the cost and time. I'm saving a boat load of money and time.

I'm 99.99% sure I'm going to buy it. Just trying to cover my bases in case their is a reason "NOT" to buy it.

Have never owned a 25 cal. Always thought I'd own a 25-06 first if I did. The owner mentioned that I should not Ackley "this rifle" and I agree.

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cross the Rubicon and buy it! This is an absolutely elegant rifle in a great caliber!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .257 is a great caliber, and that's one beautiful rifle! I wouldn't hesitate.

In fact, I'd buy it if you didn't, except that I already have a similar .257 built on a 1909 Argentine action with a Douglas featherweight barrel. The wood isn't anywhere near that nice, though.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have commissioned one of our AR smiths to build a light wt for me and hope it turns out as nice as this rifle. Beautiful lines and the wood alone is reason enough.
I've been a 25-06 man for years, but the build will be a Bob.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I have a Remmie M7MS in .257 Roberts and one heckuva nice round. It might just be the perfect Deer cartridge. Recoil is light, accuracy is superb - it's the kind of cartridge you can be proud of shooting late into life and not worry about it beating you up.

100gr. bullest at 3000-3100 fps gives you a great trajectory to play with out to 300 and even 400 yards.

There's a reason why the Bob has survived in the face of the 25-'06: it just plain works.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. I think that it would look better with a smaller VX3 2.5x8 scope installed.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
100% elegance and superb execution. Wood is a knockout. I think the odds are very good that you would not be as pleased with the custom you commission. I'd like the extra mag that scope offers for bench work and possible varmints.

Wood appears to be quite a bit cross-grain through the grip so rough mountain hunts would be a concern.
If you are looking for something that won't see such duty I think this is opportunity knocking at your door.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it fit you? Is the LOP good for you? Is the comb ok for the scope? If so buy it is a very nice looking rifle IMHO!

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with this. If it fits, go for it!

quote:
Originally posted by EDMHUNTER:
Does it fit you? Is the LOP good for you? Is the comb ok for the scope? If so buy it is a very nice looking rifle IMHO!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
My pockets will only be deep enough on a temporary basis so I've decided to buy it sans the scope. I'd like something a skootch smaller in optics.

As far as fit, my Cooper 57M in 22LR has the same length stock. It's a skootch short when wearing a t-shirt but just fine when wearing more clothes during our Oct Utah elk and deer hunts. If it was a heavier recoiling rifle, I'd rethink my decision but feel comfortable as is.

Check will go out tomorrow. Thanks for the prompting questions and statements.

Alan

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
WOW,

I'm into mine for around 2K so far (not including the donor rifle), and I haven't seen it in over 2 years. I'm sure yours is prettier. Very, very nice. Mine's AI and a fwt bbl though.

Yours is what I'd hoped mine would be when it was done. I'm fairly jealous...

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Need some advice.

I've decided to mount a VX3 2.5-8x32 w/ B&C reticle. I'd like your opinions on either Gloss or Matte finish. The scope you see in the pics has a matte finish.

Alan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go wit the matte finish. The rifle appears to be rust blued and the gloss finish will not match it.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan,
Please go matte.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle and a great cartridge.

Can someone provide some background on Glen Morovits? Thanks,

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matte!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Talked to Glen yesterday. Has done years and years of custom stocking for Dakota, searcy, and imperial besides his own shop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glenn worked for years under Don Allen at Dakota Arms. Then went out on his own. Then back to Dakota one or two times.

He does nice custom work.
He was also doing most all, if not all, of Butch Searcy's gun work ,sans regulation, as well.
He still lives in S.D. and is still doing stock and custom gun work from there.

Should be in the phone book for Sturgis greater area.

Very nice man and a nice rifle as well.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I think it's a great looking rifle, anyone should be proud to own it. However, I don't think we can give you good advice without knowing the price. Afterall, if you said 10k I would pass and build my own, but that doesn't change how nice the rifle is. I understand if you don't want to share it but that is a key piece to this.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I'm keeping the amount private.

Alan

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I think you did great....If it was close enough to what you wanted to have built you would not have done if for what you paid.

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you did great! If I had the money, I would have not hesitated.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Very nice. You like it, the seller did pretty good too IMO so everybody is pleased. You can't call that a bad deal from any angle.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Alan, Geez! That's a beautiful rifle!

I am concerned that it will make the rest of your rifles look shoddy standing next to them in your gun safe. I think you need to send it down here and let me save you the embarrassment of owning one beautiful rifle! Eeker Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Here is some more of Glen Morovits' work:

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, VERY nice! What caliber? Looks like it has a bit of a Perch belly to it.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be sure it shoots as good as it looks. Anything worse than 1" MOA makes it a Remington 700 or a Savage.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a great photo. I love how the metal and wood have been contoured here. A subtle little artistic detail I have never seen done before.

It's tasteful, original, well executed, and even carried into the checkering pattern further forward. Very nice!!!

quote:

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
6b,

I couldn't agree with you more.

Alan

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
That is a fantastic rifle. Great cartridge and excellent choice in optics. tu2

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
It arrived today.

I just want to sit and look and fondle it. What a rifle. Now I understand why my wife will never drive a cadillac; she'll want one. Now that I'vel got this thing, I'll probably compare every gun I ever look at and they'll come up short.

Here a few pics I took today.

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one beautiful rifle. You did good! What are you going to use your ne action for now?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's nice! Buy her a Lexus!
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun... I love the multi panel checkering !
Congratulations !!!
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A l/a Bob makes no sense to me,nor does Blued/Walnut eyecandy that can't/won't Hunt.

Though I guess it'd sluice a Doe in a fenced field,from off a padded haybale.

Nice worksmanship though.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Airgun1,

I've got a 1951 pre 64 M70 action and a D'Arcy Echols Legend stock going off to Lee Christianson of Wisconson. My 9.3mm Pacnor barrel just arrived to him this week. He will build me a 9.3x62. Once he's done with all the metal work, bedding, bolt notch and ejector cut in the stock he will then mail it off to Charley Santoni of CSS http://www.riflestockpainting.com/ to have the recoil pad installed and stock painted, then all the metal Cerakoted.

This will be my Alaska rifle for Grizzly and moose.

Then I just got a new Pierce short action (Rem 700 clone). It along with my 6.5mm #3.1 Broughton barrel and McMillian Rem Sporter stock in Edge fill will go to Chris Matthews of http://www.longshotriflesllc.com/. He will in turn do all the metal and stock work so it will be a light weight mtn rifle in 6.5x47 Lapua.

Then, I have a 1982 Rem 700 long action which was extensively lightened. It was to be matched to the Pacnor 9.3mm to become a 9.3x62 in another McMillian Rem Sporter Edge fill stock; again built by Chris Matthews. Since I'm having the Pre 64 turned into a 9.3x62, I'm not sure what to do with it. I could just leave it as is; 30-06 AI.

Decisions, decisions!

Alan