New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lon Paul Fire Damage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just read that Lon Paul's shop was destroyed by wildfire along with many custom rifles, equipment etc. What a shame - hope he can make a comeback as his craftsmanship and artistry is amazing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh no. Lon is a craftsman without equal when it comes to creating rifles along the lines of the old pre-war British magazine rifles.

Posts: 20090 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any ideas on how we can help? I know that the smoke hasn't cleared yet but if there's something we can do to help him get back on his feet I'd be happy to participate.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
That is very sad. I never met Lon in person. But, can't imagine the heartache of such a loss. I wish him well. I've been told his work is top class.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5120 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Lon is one cool dude, and I consider him a good friend. I need to give him a ring, but I let things settle a bit....hate to hear that!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
http://blog.pe.com/2013/07/19/...stom-guns-destroyed/

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys Lon is a great gunmaker and a close friend of mine.

I'm going tomorrow (Monday) to set up an account for him to help a little,

I'll post some personal items online for sale for funds for him and his family as well.

M sure he had insurance but likely probably not enough.

Phone lines are down and none of us have been able to reach him.

I'll have a p.o. Box tomorrow for perhaps fast food gift cards or personal checks.
I'm certain it will be greatly appreciated and I know Lon would never ask for help but he deserves it so any amount will be appreciated.

I'll post some things for sale tomorrow to help start this.

Thanks

Adam Freeman

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Adam call me when you can, I will try to help out a little too!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I also considered Lon a close friend and am contemplating auctioning off either an Alaskan trip ( hopefully with Lon along) or a high end gun in order to help.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I'm up for helping any way I can Adam. PM me his address if you don't post it here.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lon has been a good friend of mine for quite a few years now. I've been doing his stock duplication for quite some time. I'd be glad to pitch in any way I can.

Adam, let me know when you get something going. I could assist with some free stock duplication when he gets up and running again.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I do not know Lon and have never even talked to the man, but I would be happy to help too. I have several actions that I could donate to help prime the pump and get him turning out projects once he gets up and running again.

Mike

Posts: 21243 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Adam Freeman is one of Lon's best friends and is setting up an account for Lon.
Since Lon lost his entire shop, along with everything in it, the best we can do is to help find and procure shop equipment so he can get back to doing what he does so well --- building and restoring best guns.
There are a few of his friends in the industry already looking for some of the larger pieces of shop euipment and they are in touch with Adam.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
bixby machine in spokane is supposed to have a shop full of older manual mills, lathes, etc. haven't been in there myself, but a phone call wouldn't hurt.

509-534-1208

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 724wd:
bixby machine in spokane is supposed to have a shop full of older manual mills, lathes, etc. haven't been in there myself, but a phone call wouldn't hurt.

509-534-1208
Duane Weibe had a mill for sale about a month ago. I'm not sure if it would be cost effective to ship it Lon's way or if the machine could do what Lon needs it to do. I hope his Insurance company is not going to drag their hind ends on this. Any word on that?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5120 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Up to speed.

Lon contacted me via email days ago and kindly asked to not do anything to help.

I think to still attempt to talk him into letting us that wish to do so, do something for him. There are some of us who are concerned for him and his family and wish to help.

For those of us who want to help....
I will keep you posted.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think to still attempt to talk him into letting us that wish to do so, do something for him. There are some of us who are concerned for him and his family and wish to help.

Adam, my own $.02 is to leave the seed planted and let him come back around. Right now he is probably overwhelmed. Give him a couple of weeks, maybe a month to see how things go, and then maybe re-visit it.

In my mind, the most respectful and caring thing you can do right at the moment is respect his wishes.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
What a great guy. Joe Coogan introduced me to Lon in @ '94 and Lon built my first "custom" rifle.

Good luck to you, Lon, and let us know if we can do anything to help.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I too have been in touch with Lon. He is a talented and resilient guy who is coping with an incredible loss. As to be expected, he sounds a little depressed but is staying busy fixing up his home and helping his family with theirs.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot help financially, but Ohio is a playground of machinery equipment. If Lon knows what he wants, have him contact me and I can find it for him.

Its a long haul out to him, but I may be willing to take a long weekend and haul what he needs out just to meet him.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1481 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Nathaniel, I don't know if Lon is back on reading this forum like he used to but I passed your kind offer to him.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I can be of some help. I have always admired his work.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1481 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lon is a national treasure! This should be covered by the Goverment!

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody heard any update? how were the things in the safe?
(there's two threads I'll post to both, not sure which is best, maybe combine them?)

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard that five days after the fire the safe was still too hot to touch. The stocks inside were charcoal.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If that was the case the metal inside is probably damaged as well. Frowner

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote