THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    R&R Custom Rifle Actions- Mod 70 Type
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

R&R Custom Rifle Actions- Mod 70 Type
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I visited a booth at Dallas Safari Club and spoke with the two owners of R&R. Younger fellow from East Coast is the stockmaker and the older fellow-50's from Prescott/Phoenix and said he was the original owner of Granite Mountain.
They will be making 5 sizes from minute to Magnum for 416Rigby/505Gibbs length cartridges.
Wondering if any of you stopped in and took a look at these actions? Looked pretty fine to me and I am an old Model 70 fanatic...wanting a 416 Rigby built up.
Note, there was one of these actions in the GMA booth at SCI but I was reluctant to ask many questions.....
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2570 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The history of new custom manufacture renditions of the pre64-M70 is fraught with failed enterprises.
Either struggling to succeed and eventually ending-failing, or failing to actually get the model started.
Be interesting to see if they can make this one succeed.

I can understand why Miller and Echols largely rely on the business strategy of sourcing their actions from
the reliable market supply of Winchesters.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been digging deeper. This is Bill Richardson whose machine shop originated the Granite Mountain Arms actions, and Matt Roberts who has MNR Custom in Vermont.
I am told R&R is working hand in hand with Granite Mountain and the first two runs are actually being built at GMA...about a Dozen orders were taken at Dallas.
Looks like a Model 70 of GMA quality.
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2570 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Cheers,

Does this mean a six pound action for $3500?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
NO, it is $2295. They claim that the Model 70 type is much simpler to machine with significantly fewer parts.

My pursuit is a 416 Rigby and I am a Model 70 fan...and the original is really not long enough to accommodate that long cartridge even though it has been done. I also like simple!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
Cheers,

Does this mean a six pound action for $3500?

I needed a good laugh out loud. Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cheers,

A couple top end US smiths have indicated that it takes something like an extra $1500 of labor to refine-finish off a GMA action.
[If ones objective is to build a top tier rifle] Just something to be aware of.
on a positive note, GMA has a reputation of deliverying the product you have payed for.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is Montana Rifle Company still around?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they still are and they still sell actions.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How are you coming on this deal. Did you get your action for your project yet?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Not yet, still working on it....have one custom on a pre-64 action that was in the making for me for 18 years and the custom gunmaker dies....family is sitting on project....some nasty folks tried to take advantage of the family...so son in law is being a bad ass!!

I like the R&R action and it would work....then I need a good custom gun\maker....I am getting too old for another 18 year project...or even 3-4...

Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I brought Al Lind by their booth at DSC&he seemed to like the actions.Might try him.253.584.6361.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not yet, still working on it....have one custom on a pre-64 action that was in the making for me for 18 years and the custom gunmaker dies....family is sitting on project....some nasty folks tried to take advantage of the family...so son in law is being a bad ass!!

I like the R&R action and it would work....then I need a good custom gun\maker....I am getting too old for another 18 year project...or even 3-4...

Cheers,

He had your rifle for 18 years and now someone is trying to take advantage of them?

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much. I know Al well, he is right in my own back yard and is finishing up a series of 11 customs for a friend who was having the same guy do my 416....not delivered in 18 years!!
He does outstanding work and is relatively fast too!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
YYYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPP!!

That's the story!! May never see it...and really don't know if it is worth chasing as the 416 Rigby on a Pre-64 is a VERY dicey situation....only done by about 3-4 in this country...Al Biesen, Griffin and Howe....and my gunmaker....now past!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Any updates on these guys?

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1022 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote