Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left Hand 416 Build
 Login/Join

posted
I am considering a custom built 416 either Ruger or RM but am left handed and on a budget. What actions lend themselves to this without too much feeding modifications? I have been considering a Ruger 300 or 7mag LH action and would even look at a Remington as a donor.

Thanks for any input.

Paul

Posts: 12 | Location: Chesco, Pa | Registered: 11 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
There is always the CZ550 left hand action. AHR will make one for you with all of their bells and whistles.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend has a left handed Montana, but it's a smaller magnum. Here is a bigger Montana Montana 1999 PH

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Catawampus:
I am considering a custom built 416 either Ruger or RM but am left handed and on a budget. What actions lend themselves to this without too much feeding modifications? I have been considering a Ruger 300 or 7mag LH action and would even look at a Remington as a donor.

Thanks for any input.

Paul

Depends on what 416 chambering you are having built.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6610 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It looks like dies, brass and reamers all have about the same availability. I have a 375 Ruger and am pretty happy with that. I have several custom Benchrest rifles and will probalby have my BR gunsmith (Bob Green)do the work. I really need to find a donor actoin for the foundation but need one that requires little modifcation. I thought the Ruger was on an -06 action but not sure what will work.

thanks for the response.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have swapped barrels between stainless/laminated LH .375 Ruger Hawkeyes and .416 Ruger Alaskans three times, or rather my gunsmiths have. They all needed a little work on the right feed rail in order to feed blunt Hornady solids with three down. Somewhere on here I posted a video of my friend shooting the rifle with factory ammo. This gun feeds everything well, even upside down. It's a perfect Africa caliber and not too shabby in the rest of the world either. I have dies, brass bullets and ten boxes of factory Hornady ammo and I'll sell it all for the right price.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
The CZ-550, as Wink mentioned, would be a strong contender. I have a right handed CZ-550 in 416 Rem that started life as a 375.

Pretty much anything chambered for a 375 H&H could easily be turned into a 416 Rem Mag by just a swap of the barrel. So searched the used racks and maybe you'll find a deal.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but going from a 458 Lott down to the 416 Rem should also be a fairly strait forward barrel swap.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In left hand the version the CZ is over priced. Look over at the left hand forum other options.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
When R.L. Matthews was still alive, he built me a LH .416 Remington on a Remington action. A fine rifle but, it is a push feed. Grant it, I have never had to shoot it upside down or inside out, but the thought has crossed my mind if I did get in a compromised position, would the gun go bang if I cycled the bolt. When the .375 Ruger LH Alaskan came out, I purchased one. For the money, your not going to get more bang for your buck in a controlled round feed than the Ruger.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. I have always been a 700 fan but think I am looking at the Ruger as the donor for this project. I know the 375 was made for long wrather than magnum length actions. I guess my real question is what caliber Ruger makes the best donor for a 416 Ruger. Any idea what work is required for a 300 win mag conversion?

BTW... I totally missed the left had forums, thanks for the info. There is some good data there as well.

Paul

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy a left hand Ruger African in 375 Ruger and have a new barrel in 416 Ruger installed? I'm no gunsmith, but it might be possible to simply rebore the original barrel to 416 Ruger. Check with the gunsmiths here, I'm sure they would know.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
Why not just buy a left hand Ruger African in 375 Ruger and have a new barrel in 416 Ruger installed? I'm no gunsmith, but it might be possible to simply rebore the original barrel to 416 Ruger. Check with the gunsmiths here, I'm sure they would know.

Thanks Tom,
I called Ruger this morning and confirmed that the part numbers for a 300 Win Mag box and follower are the same as a 416 Ruger. I then found a 375 Ruger stainless for $699 on Gunbroker and grabbed it. I will probably order a reamer and guage next, then a barrel.

I am on my way to a 416 now. Appreciate everyone's help on this.

Cheers
Paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your budget is tight why not just have it rebored and rechambered?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6610 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the one I had done. Just a barrel swap between a right hand .416 and a left hand .375. I sold the RH .375 to a friend.

http://s396.photobucket.com/us...%20416%20Left%20Hand

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote