New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 on a 33-40
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Every once in a while, a quarter awn lank is furnished that's properly laid out, well seasoned, dense AND attractive. Here is such a blank. Joy to work on!

Caliber chosen is the hard to beat 30-06. Wiebe bottom metal, buttplate, rear sight and bolt handle. Sharon Dressel furnished the classy rip cap and Roger Kehr did the embellishment.

Posts: 3459 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My goodness, that's one nice firearm.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Really like that one! Classic in a classic sense of the word!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7529 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Very nice Duane. Nice collaborative effort. I haven't talked to Sharon in forever and a day, please tell her Hi.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My that's one nice looking rifle!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good work, as usual.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane that is a beautiful rifle sir... I like everything about it!

Folks may say an ebony forearm tip adds a touch of class, but that rifle looks much "cleaner" without one. Thank you for continuing to post pictures of your work.

Do you still have the checkered buttplates available ?

Thanks,

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One wonders about the wisdom of cutting off a piece of wood to add another...Accessory business sold to Will Nelson uncledeck21@yahoo.com

Posts: 3459 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I (for one) always saw the ebony tip as a protector of the front end of the stock.
No matter. Well done all around. Big fan of the taper of the fore end. One of many similar styles that inspired my last project. Thanks.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5109 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can live without Ebony fe tip, cheek piece, and recoil pads, I prefer straight grained wood properly cured, not much figure suits me workmanship counts..Keep it simple....but they don't sell nearly as fast as marble cake, Ebony, recoil pad, cheek pieces...

the G33-40 SRM has always been my favorite action along with the Brno mod 21, 22, the same action but a tad more refined..but only with non belted cases, the 9.3x62 being its limit for me..

Very nice gun in a best caliber..I would be proud to own it and use it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not condemning fore end ebony, horn etc...At client's request, do it a lot.

If desperate for a logical reason...Well, I guess it does a good job of sealing end grain???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beauty Duane! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 426 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Interesting thought (sealing end grain). Preferences vary. Lack of a tip certainly isn't a deal breaker for me at least in a pre-owned rifle. I own a couple of those, had to buy 'em. Now, a stock cut for a elevator/peep sight is a deal breaker. Like a hotty missing some front teeth in my opinion.

Looking forward to the next one.
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I'm not condemning fore end ebony, horn etc...At client's request, do it a lot.

If desperate for a logical reason...Well, I guess it does a good job of sealing end grain???

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5109 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane - a handsome rifle. My brother has a VZ33 in 280 Remington that was built by Steve Heilman and Gary Goudy on an equally handsome piece of walnut. A really fine piece of work also.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote