THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Finally finished 22 Rimfire Mauser MM410B bolt action. NEW PHOTOS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally finished 22 Rimfire Mauser MM410B bolt action. NEW PHOTOS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Wouldn't ya know it. It's finally done and this camera decided to underperform bigtime. So, only a few pictures are shown and those are barely presentable. My humblest apology. They do not do this rifle justice. Ah well. Nevertheless, here are a few highlights followed by some pictures. I will try for better images in the near future.

The story goes:

I know, I said my last custom rifle was the last. But, I just had to add a .22 to the mix if I could find one to get the juices flowing eventhough I had little interest in hunting small game. Anyway, a very clean Mauser MM410B was chosen for the build. It already had a M70 style safety, a contoured and polished trigger guard and a custom bolt handle installed. The price was $200 taller than I thought it was worth. But, experience has taught me not to loose something you like for a couple hundred bucks.
First thing I did was check and clean the bore. It only took a few passes with Hoppe's #9 to expose the mirror like lands and grooves.
After searching high and low for a custom pattern for the chosen stick of budget-priced kiln dried California English, I ended up having to make my own. Instead of modifying the nice original stock, a old Ithaca X5 lightning stock was chosen for the pattern. First thing was to remove material and add Bondo as needed to allow the barreled action (trigger removed) to sit properly into the pattern.
Next up was to align the butt stock for open sight use to my eye. The decison was made to cut the butt stock from the grip on the radial armm saw and lower its' position as needed for proper eye alignment which ended up at a drop of .75 inches.
Hours and hours of filing, Bondo and sanding got the pattern to a "suitable" shape for duplication.
Then the real work began with the semi. No need to go there. Suffice it to say that it probably took me 3-4X as much time as a seasoned/experienced professional might require to do a suitable shape & fit. Lots of slimming and re-shaping went on until it was shaped "just right" followed by the numerous coats of TruOil and leveling, etc.
But, here it is in its finished state, minor flaws included, except for the tweaking of the safety and a final adjustment on the "creapy" factory trigger.
Rust bluing by Roger Ferrell. Checkering by Smith-Lyon.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Many thanks for sharing the photos of your lovely Mauser 22LR. Thanks, also, for the privilege of polishing and rust bluing the barreled action. The Mauser 22LR is a true classic. No one makes rifles like this anymore.
Please enjoy your new rifle. It will always be a treasure!

Roger

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great. Would like to see a full length right and left side.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The total weight is 5 pounds 13 ounces.

Nice to hear that my stock work is Roger approved.
Thanks Roger.

More pics in a the next few days thirdbite.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Everybody needs a .22 so it might as well be a pretty one!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bravo Ray, a classic rifle to be proud of, thanks for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What model is your Mauser? I foolishly sold my old 350ES. Looking for another.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
lowgun. It's a MM410B.
350's are out there. Nate Myers has a nice one.
Just Google mauser 350ES for sale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who supplied and fitted the M70 style safety?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
thirdbite - I'll have to find out. I forgot. He's no longer with us, some gunsmith out west. I emailed a family member offering to buy any left over safeties. Never heard a peep.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Dean Zollinger of Idaho made the safety.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
These cell phone photos may or may not be a bit better than the Previous Sony pix.

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful little gun, Ray! what a sweet little toy!

Posts: 602 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man thats nice. Im working on a Brno model 1 now. Wish I could find a a way to convert the safety so its not backwards!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Anyone notice the .75" cast off of the butt? The donor stock for my pattern was a Ithaca X5 lightning. Lots of filling and shaping, dropped the butt .75", etc. until the open sight alignment was perfect. No more pros or cons? Honesty is welcome even on the negative. Angry people not so much.
CB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With your pictures you cannot tell what you have honestly. Take a picture from the muzzle looking down the barrel toward the butt should show the cast- without a tree in it! Wink Then how about a right and left full length profile that shows the actual shape of your creation.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
No more pros or cons? Honesty is welcome even on the negative. Angry people not so much.
CB

I'm only angry because you've got a sweet custom 22lr and I have not got off my butt and done something like that for myself....YET!

Looks like stellar custom work all the way around. Huge congrats on a very sweet rifle.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It turned out great, I missed this when you posted!

Gives me some motivation to get the 3 position safeties I started finished. Maybe this thread will turn up a little interest!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the compliments so far.

Zeke. No better time than the present.

Well I sure hope so Nate,

The craftmanship on these little sporters is just incredible and worthy of customization.

As requested by kda55.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
And the butt plate I ended up with. The smallest Pachmayr basket weave pads weren't narrow enough. The steel backer was too wide. They are still for sale in the classifieds.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks UEG. Looked at 50+ before I found a nice one. Still need another screw to replace the buggered one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Just matched in the missing bluing at the gas vent.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great job! Nothing like a customized .22RF in the gun rack. And that's a nice one...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks bwanamrm. The factory machining on these is the best of Mauser. Hope all is well down your way.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments.
CB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Just for perspective, can you tell me the buttplate dimensions? Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
1.0625 X 4.375 inches. About 7/16" thick at both ends.

quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
Very nice. Just for perspective, can you tell me the buttplate dimensions? Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Custombolt

Havig never seen one of those before I am curious what the inside of that action looks like. From the outside it looks like a steel tube. What is going on in the inside. Does it look like a Mauser 98 action in there?

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
No tube here. It's a fully machined Mauser with a front lug, similar to a small ring 98 including a similar (yet offset) controlled round feed extractor. If I ever open it up again, I'll take some more pictures. Here's the extractor in the 2 o'clock position.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Here's what they look like without any mods.
Bone stock MM410B.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
It's simply gorgeous. If a man had to have only one gun -- and one that can be passed down as a priceless heirloom ... beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
look great! good job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the MAS trainer a copy of the Mauser 22? They should be plentiful.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
Is the MAS trainer a copy of the Mauser 22? They should be plentiful.

No, the MAS is a direct copy of the KKW produced at Mauser. France produced some while occupying Mauser, and then absconded with the machinery.

I have 3 positions safeties in the prototyping/development phase for the MAS's. I doubt I will sell many, but I want one Smiler

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old ww2 Brno #1 with the dog knot rear sight ala M-70 Win, Schnable fore end, barrel band front sight ramp, double square bridge action, clip fed,skinney little Bugger with grip checkering. I love it and have had it for half a lifetime.. I recently sold my beautiful in moment of greed for my favorite color (green) Lordy but they fetch a high price these days..The same guy wanted my Brono for a kings fortune offer, but I was strong and refused all his offers. Unfortunatly he passed away some years past..He was a great friend and an outstanding gun smith and stock maker by hobby and never built a gun for money that I know of, His muzzle loaders and sako pistols were sought after for big bucks..Tony Barnes, Kimberly Idaho.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote