New
Find
Notify
Tools

LIOGIER WOOD RASPS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am now a US Distributor for Liogier (lee oh gee Aye) Wood rasps. Here are links to info about the rasps and a video about how they are made. I am advertising in the Classifieds:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...2711043/m/6281061632

https://www.fine-tools.com/liogier-info.html

youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...y9Q&feature=youtu.be

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1793 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
After watching the video and seeing the amount of handwork that goes into these rasps, I'd say they are a bargain at the price SDH is asking.

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I thought the best were the Auriou.

http://www.forge-de-saint-juery.com/

But then, I don't work wood for a living and could be wrong.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know which is best, but the Auriou are really fantastic also a little spendier..recently bought a 12" ($141.00 US)...Look forward to trying out these. The old Nicholsons are history.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got both Auriou and Liogier and prefer the latter. Auriou doesn't offer the specific rasps that I now import and the selection available in the US is not stockmaking oriented.

Noel Liogier was sympathetic to my importing for gunmakers and developed the #49 an #50 specifically to replicate what we are used to using.

I can special order about anything made by Liogier but the lag time on custom orders runs at least a couple of months.

These are expensive but like all fine tools will last a couple of lifetimes and make the work more pleasurable.

I personally enjoy using hand tools and have found that the correct tool can make the job at hand easier to accomplish.

These rasps allow my novice students the ability remove wood quickly and accurately leaving a good surface. Learning to use edge tools (spoke shave, draw knife, chisels, etc) for shaping is problematic as grain flow varies considerably from stock to stock and from place to place in each stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
I've got both Auriou and Liogier and prefer the latter. Auriou doesn't offer the specific rasps that I now import and the selection available in the US is not stockmaking oriented.

Noel Liogier was sympathetic to my importing for gunmakers and developed the #49 an #50 specifically to replicate what we are used to using.

I can special order about anything made by Liogier but the lag time on custom orders runs at least a couple of months.

These are expensive but like all fine tools will last a couple of lifetimes and make the work more pleasurable.

I personally enjoy using hand tools and have found that the correct tool can make the job at hand easier to accomplish.

These rasps allow my novice students the ability remove wood quickly and accurately leaving a good surface. Learning to use edge tools (spoke shave, draw knife, chisels, etc) for shaping is problematic as grain flow varies considerably from stock to stock and from place to place in each stock.
Anyone who works with hand tools should be able to agree with that. Tools that work as the should/as you wish they did are a pleasure to use. Those that do not will work you to death in short order! I've never had guts enough to try a spoke shave or draw knife. I can just see a 'chunk' coming out that is way too big!

Posts: 691 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve: You're right on about using a quality tool. Cheap rasps only iron grooves in the wood

However... Auriou does offer the Nicholson 49 and 50 equivalent I's their 10" gr 7 and 9. And speaking of Nicholson...Guess you know the brand is now mfg in Brazil...

Posts: 3485 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Many woodworkers ask which Auriou rasps would be replacements for the venerable Nicholson® #49 and #50 pattern makers rasps. While there are no direct replacements for these in the Auriou line, those listed below are the closest matches."
$135
These Liogier are direct copies of the former Nicholson rasps, except they are hand made and vastly superior. $125. In stock, ready to ship, ready to use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Auriou rasps for a few years. I've got the 10" 7 grain for roughing and the 8" 13 grain for fine detailing.
The Liogiers would be equally superb, I would recommend these hand stitched rasps above all else.
One thing to consider is they are right handed, so you draw them to the right. They don't cut very well to the left, thats why they offer left hand versions as well.
I get by with the 10" R/H but I bought another 8" fine in L/H.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great tools and they are sure going fast.

I'll be reordering for sure and am going to try and keep these three rasps in stock for immediate shipment. I'll be glad to special order any other Liogier as seen on their web site, with a 50% deposit, as I get better service with larger orders.
This is the opportunity for LEFTIES to order!
Call about rasps 406-222-9377