New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sidelever Ruger #3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

I began a new thread with these pick on request.
The metalwork for this rifle was largely accomplished by the late metalsmithing genius John Madole of Kentucky. Anyone that knew his work would not question my opinion. To the best of my knowledge John built three Ruger sidelever brld actions: A .22 Hornet, this .30-40 and a .45-70. I have seen pictures of both the other rifles.

The story and photos of the .30-40 brld action and this complete rifle are found in my book Custom Rifle in Black & White (availble from
me.

Over the years several folk have said they were going to reproduce this configuration but no one has so far. The conversion is quite complicated and John's exceptional blend of mechanical and artistic genius are not easily reproduced.

I did all of the stockmaking, checkering, metalwork refinements adn stock and metal finishing. For anyone interested in undertaking this work there are very detailed picks of the metalwork in the book.

I've killed some 17 head of big game with the rifle.

[url=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/SDH/p/01ac7de0-7e8d-40a7-94f0-

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1787 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Fraiser #1 ?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I wish Old Man Ruger were still alive. This is the kind of rifle he would have made.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. That's very nice. I modified my No3s lever to copy the 1885 Highwall pattern for my pistol grip stock. It gives me more finger clearance. A side lever gives even more finger clearance!

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice office. Is the rest of your shop as nice?

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
I like that rifle a bunch!

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful rifle. In my opinion the lines and proportions are just right.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Nice, tasteful post Steven, thanks

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That is one beautiful + unique piece of functional art. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
I wonder whether the Blaser scope mount attached to the barrel wouldn't be a good solution for a custom falling block? What do you think? Could allow for rail mount or rings too.

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice wood.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder whether the Blaser scope mount attached to the barrel wouldn't be a good solution for a custom falling block?

Blaser rings aren't vertically split.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is absolutely gorgeous!

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very interesting and different. Thanks for posting it!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve always like these rifles. Very tasteful.

And I have your book Wink

Something very classic and classy about the sidelever look.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
I wonder whether the Blaser scope mount attached to the barrel wouldn't be a good solution for a custom falling block?

Blaser rings aren't vertically split.

Would that matter? I was thinking along these lines (shows rail mount, but they do a ring version too):

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I must say, that is the nicest Ruger custom I’ve ever seen!
Beautiful.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind works. It has been a pleasure to create, own and hunt with the sidelever Ruger. Metalsmith John Madole was a genius,IMO as well as a close friend.

Yes, the rest of my office and shop are as nice, the many students that have been here for Seminars can attest to that. A couple more pics of the office, an eight year old's dream come true!

I often say that I dreamt of this workshop for twenty years. Now I've been working in it for 25~~

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1787 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is very nice. So unique and beautiful.

Posts: 157 | Location: san francisco bay area | Registered: 23 November 2007Reply With Quote