THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Is the .338 Federal cartridge out of favor already?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the .338 Federal cartridge out of favor already?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Offerings are dwindling and prices are through the roof, in many cases more expensive than a 338 Mag. Only 3 choices on AmmoSeek. Whaaaat???

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
buddy loves his Armalite in 338 F, he reloads

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I hope not! Our little .338 Federal has been great for the smaller members of my family (wife and daughter, son when he was younger). My youngest is a lefty and I would very much like to add a short-stocked .338 Federal to her inventory as she grows up.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a reason for that caliber when we have the 338 win..that has so much more to offer, load it down for the weaker sex and load it up for the testosterone sex.. Its hard to beat a .338
win. its earned its horns.. Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was it ever in favor?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I sold mine even though I still consider it a really good cartridge.
I did keep my 338-06 though.
I think it is a bit more versatile.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most people don't realize how good the .358 Win. is so I guess there are a lot that think the same way about the .338 Federal.

Hip

P.S. Most people think long shots no-a-days. Pots shots instead of real hunting.

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Well as expected, someone introduced the .338 in the 6.5 Creedmor case last year - the 8.6 Blackout.

So the 6.5 Creedmor is based on the 308 Win. The 338 Fed is based on the 308 Win, but wait! The 8.6 Blackout is BETTER because it's based on the 6.5 Creedmor.

I tell you, the shooting industry has LOST its mind!

I'd hate to be a shooting sports writer and have to suck up to all the new "rounder" versions of the wheel.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well stated old

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Craig Boddington and other hunters favored the 338-06 and the 35 Whelen. The 338-06 is a more balanced cartridge, handling heavier bullets better across the board. Federal/Remington should have lifted the 338-06 from its semi-wildcat status. It would have been just as successful for Remington as the 35 Whelen.
Since I have pre-64 Model 70s in both the latter cartridges, will not have a 338 F unless I am gifted or win one.
The early Model 70 is superior to the M-700 across the board, not just the safety. The 98 Mauser is a close second. The Weatherby action definitely handles an errant cartridge with dangerous pressures better than about anything
made, IMHO-or .02 worth.

Posts: 359 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 450 Fuller:
Craig Boddington and other hunters favored the 338-06 and the 35 Whelen. The 338-06 is a more balanced cartridge, handling heavier bullets better across the board. Federal/Remington should have lifted the 338-06 from its semi-wildcat status. It would have been just as successful for Remington as the 35 Whelen.
Since I have pre-64 Model 70s in both the latter cartridges, will not have a 338 F unless I am gifted or win one.

Well said also.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I love the 35 Whelen I built for my daughter and am building one for my wife.

I think the 338-06 is interesting due to the available bullets. Think a premium 210-225 gr would be killer in one.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spot on 450, Hard to beat a 338-06 or a 35 Whelan, well lets not forget the 9.3x62, which deserve a good word..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Spot on 450, Hard to beat a 338-06 or a 35 Whelan, well lets not forget the 9.3x62, which deserve a good word..

Couldn’t agree more!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 338 Fed in a Kimber 84. Very light, shoots like a target gun. Would be perfect for a bigbore for anyone who doesnt do well with weight.
I killed a moose or two and a few deer with it. It worked so well I got bored and stacked it in the corner.
Not sure if it gives or takes any ground from the 358 win. But it's available, and a 358 kimber is not.