New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest 470 Mbogo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought I'd post a few pics of this winter's project for those interested. It started with a CZ550 magnum action with a 416 Rigby bolt face sitting in a case looking for a home. Priced at $450, it soon found one! (six yrs ago.) Figured I'd build something bigger than my much-loved M70 375H&H for a stopper. I quickly dismissed the Rigby as it wasn't enough of a step up to justify another rifle. Started searching around the interweb and after briefly considering the 505 Burns, I found Dave's 470 Mbogo. Not having any wildcatting experience, I wasn't sure if the 505 had enough shoulder -I also didn't want to go with a belted case (something I'd consider now -the 500 A2 sounds bad ass). The Mbogo had at the time been built into several rifles and also been to Africa with rave reviews.
Ordered a stock from Brockman's, dies from CH, stainless 1-16" barrel from Pac-Nor, reamer and h.s. gauge from JGS, brass and bullets, and by the time it all showed up at the house I'd moved on to other things and the whole thing got shelved for the last 5 years.
It finally seemed time to get to work on it this fall. All work was done by me in the garage with my lathe and mill. Barrel was cut at 20" with a NECG banded front with patridge post, I think it was Talley who supplied the barrel band swivel. Used NECG for the adjustable rear aperture (opened up a bit), and backed it all up with a decelerator pad.
I've built several 1911's, an M1A, rebarreled a .338 Win, but had never shot or built a "big bore." I'd like to thank this site and the folks that contribute to it for the free education -particularly Mr Wiebe for his "making it feed" sticky in the gunsmithing section. Following his lead, this thing went from no hope at all of guiding the Mbogo towards the chamber to feeding slicker than whale crap on an ice flow. This forum was also the first place I'd heard of a barrel mounted recoil lug for the big rifles.
That's enough from me for now, here's a couple pictures.
IMG]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k157/akamilos/IMG_08612.jpg[/IMG]

[EMAIL]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k157/akamilos/IMG_08582.jpg[/EMAIL]

Thank you for your time, Nick

Posts: 47 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

I love that big bright post!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice piece! Looks ready for anything you throw at it. Don't big safari rifles look so much better without scopes? Wish my eyes weren't attached to a 58-year-old body!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear ya! Mine are only 36 and love hunting with open sights. The other day I took the leopold 1-4 off the .375 and put the lyman aperture back on. My reasoning? If I like a hunting with open sights, I'd better enjoy it while I can.
Take care, Nick

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
this is the cartridge that got me wildcatting ... i've been fortunate to hunt with Dave.. what a class act!

nice rifle, sir.. well done

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Towards the load development part of the project I exchanged several emails with Dave and found him to be very patient with my questions. Seems like a real gentleman.
-Nick
p.s. Weren't you the one working on the 500 Mbogo a few years ago?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle Nick!

Hows the recoil...?

What do you think of the Brockman stock?

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm loading 500gr woodlieghs or a-frames to 2250fps. So recoil isn't bad at all. Rifle weighs 9.5# and the modest velocity gives more of a swift shove than a punch. My 375 weighs 8.5# and the Mbogo is a step up for sure, but quite manageable. Can't comment on a full house 2500fps load as I have not shot any.
The Brockman's stock was a good buy for the money. I think I paid $285 for it back then. It's the "express" stock with a little more drop at the heel. Also has a little cast off so recoil is up but away from the face. I only did a little shaping of the cheekpiece/comb for the iron sights. Stained it with minwax "red oak" before spraying with satin urathane. I think it helps subdue the plywood look of a laminate.
Time will tell regarding it's durability, but so far I'm pretty happy with it.
Take care, Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick, Very nice rifle. Its well proportioned and functional. What coutour is the barrel? I have a completely different project in the works but that barrel contour looks perfect for what I am doing. Thanks DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Nick . that does look awesome painted . I think light brown would have been prettier . but thats just me . .
I can tell everyone here that this rifle handles like a dream . I havn,t shot it Yet . but it is the only rifle I,ve pointed where the sights and everything fit me so well and that I could keep both eyes open and the front sight would very easily appear on the intended target . The drop , cast off, l o p . wrist , trigger ,ore end , everything is absolutly just right .. . that stock is just perfact . The whole thing is perfect ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dwheels, it's a pac-nor #6. I did however turn down the breach end to 1.200".
Gumboot, wow. That means a lot friend. But really? Light brown? I'd have to see it Wink With a synthetic stock I'd be on board fer sure. next month or so as it warms up in your neck of the woods, we'll have to get together out there with the spruce king and bust some stumps.
Take care all, Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Nick. Doesn't look so hot. You might oughta let me try for say 10-20yrs! LOL. That looks great! Love the stock too. Good shooting. jumping

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Glad you like that Brockman stock. I've shot Phil Shoemaker's .510/.505 with the same handle and it practically flattens my glasses by hitting my face and in no way did the pistol grip allow me to keep my right hand on the rifle in recoil. thumbdown These were with 525grainers at 2300fps.

Shooting Ol'Ugly is soooooo much more comfortable than that Brockman. tu2

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Fabulous &
Awesome
are words that come to mind. What a thumper. That rifle would be so much fun to shoot and handload for, IMO.

I had a CZ 550 Safari in 375 for a short while, and it shot well and fit well. It wore a CZ factory laminate stock. I always figured the McMillan CZ Express stock would be an excellent choice.

tu2

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the kind words. The wait for spring bear season is killing me now!
Take care, Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PWS, it might not have been the stock. I know Phil's loading 500gr to 2100 in Ol' Ugly, but in my limited experience so far with load development I can say that everything else remaining the same (stock, pad, weight) there is a big recoil difference between 500 at 2100 and 500 at 2300. This rifle at 2100fps is a lazy pussy cat. 2300 requires more of my focus.
-Not trying to argue, just sayin' it might not've been the stock
-Stuck in a phase 2 blow in Prudhoe, Nick

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Looks good! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While that Brockman's stock looks nice and I am sure is very functional, all of that nice metalwork deserves an equally nice piece of walnut and some checkering!!!

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Nick, I like it ALOT

Looks like a serious rifle for your neck of the woods (and across the pond as well)....Real nice practical looking rig, and on the cheap to boot! tu2

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
While that Brockman's stock looks nice and I am sure is very functional, all of that nice metalwork deserves an equally nice piece of walnut and some checkering!!!

It would be nice... especially after a few yrs of use -a nice patina, a little wear, with the underlying beauty of a nice piece of wood. Just not in the budget for this guy. If it makes you feel any better about the laminate, that "nice metalwork" you refer to is a coarse Al-oxide blast topped with flat black engine enamel.
I just blew it didn't I? sofa
Good news is I can refinish it every winter for 5 bucks.