THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Please compare oil finishes: I.e. tung vs. linseed v.s. others etc.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please compare oil finishes: I.e. tung vs. linseed v.s. others etc.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Having a rigby style rifle built, and am wondering what might be the ideal stock finish. My gunmaker would like to use tung oil mixed with Alizarin Crimson (whatever that is?) and a dryer. Says it gives the reddish color and is quite durable/scratch resistant when in the field. I don't know squat and would like to learn the difference between the various oils used in custom gun making, and why one would choose one over the other. Alkenet root has been discussed some here on AR lately. What are some other red dies commonly mixed with gunstocks oils, and what are the pro's and cons, etc. Thanks
Matt

Corrected my misspelling of Alizarin.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a question for which everybody has the right answer and they're all different. If you have had complete faith in your gunmaker up to this point I would give him free reign in making that decision.

Personally, I have moved away from oil finishes entirely. While they look good, they don't provide the protection against moisture penetration that a barrier finish does. My favorite is good old spar varnish, many coats sanded between each coat to provide a final glass-like surface- then rubbed out with rottenstone or other extremely fine abrasive to give a look that some interpret as being an oil finish.

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd agree 110% with your gunsmith

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is spar varnish many coats!!!....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Believe Duane Wiebe uses either the teak or tung oil from Daly's. I personally like the tung oil with alkanet root mixed in.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1022 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Will the color in ground alkanet root powder be "absorbed" into a synthetic finish like spar urethane?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the alkinet root that i had years ago look like tobacco leaves ...paul

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Most oils aren't all oil, spar varnish has oil in it. Go with what your smith prefers.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL J.A.:
this is spar varnish many coats!!!....paul

A bit red for straight Spar varnish.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5121 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this gun was stained with behlens ,red mahogany stain ,i fiddled with it mixing it with a few other behlen stains ,,mahogany and another reddish one ,,after i let it dry a few days i started with the spar varnish and japan drier finish thats what took many coats ,,i guess if it can be used on boats then it should holdup ,,i have used alkinet root with linseed oil before but it does take a while for the color to set in , i has been a while since ive done any of this ,,i had this gun stocked 20years ago its probably darkened up some on its own since then as the pics are recent.. i have even used different types of raw shellacs dilluted with alchohol in thge past as tests but i kept coming back to this varnish mixed with japan or mccloskeys drier i guess it could qualify as being french polish finish ...paul

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL J.A.:
this gun was stained with behlens ,red mahogany stain ,i fiddled with it mixing it with a few other behlen stains ,,mahogany and another reddish one ,,after i let it dry a few days i started with the spar varnish and japan drier finish thats what took many coats ,,i guess if it can be used on boats then it should holdup ,,i have used alkinet root with linseed oil before but it does take a while for the color to set in , i has been a while since ive done any of this ,,i had this gun stocked 20years ago its probably darkened up some on its own since then as the pics are recent.. i have even used different types of raw shellacs dilluted with alchohol in thge past as tests but i kept coming back to this varnish mixed with japan or mccloskeys drier i guess it could qualify as being french polish finish ...paul
Looks dandy. Red finishes are starting to grow on me.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5121 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have used Daly's Teak Oil for years and it really gives a good finish that is easily repaired.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of our soldiers in WWII found out the hard way that about 10% of them were allergic to tung oil, making for a very bad shin rash. Something to keep in mind.
RF

Posts: 43 | Location: Nebraska, USA | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Florer:
Some of our soldiers in WWII found out the hard way that about 10% of them were allergic to tung oil, making for a very bad shin rash. Something to keep in mind.
RF

I'll have to add some to my copper tone and see what happens Cool

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Paul J.A. that is very nice from what can be seen. Please show us the rest and don't leave out details!

Jeff

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the long run..oil is still the best. Sea Fin...wonderful stuff...Linseed Oil..good as it gets (Though not a "quickie")

I've always avoided pure tung oil because of the possible allergy mentioned...

Spar varnish...great for many applications Though I don't know if you can still buy REAL Spar Varnish anymore....check with California! HAR!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote