New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who made these rings?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any help in identifying the manufacture of these rings would be appreciated.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure those are older (pre-Maxima) Warne's.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. - Nice rings in blued steel. Too bad they are not still manufactured. I would like a set that is lower. These are 0.540"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same question for these rings:

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chronic:

Not sure I'm correct but they look like Kimber QD rings to me. Been out of production for some time but occasionally pop up on Ebay for a pretty penny.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chronic:

I wish tally made an upscale set of levers like these. I think many would pay a good amount for them over their current offering.

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a pattern here.

I wonder why this single screw top and sleek design is no longer made?

thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your info. helped me find this explanation:

Scroll down until you see the in color rifle picture and read the explanation.

http://warnescopemounts.com/our-story/

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Those bases is pretty.
Make?

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first set is the old Warne rings made in Clackamas OR, they were CNC milled from mild steel.

The second set looks to be the same but the lever shape has been redone, The old Kimber levers had two lines of checkering to make a VEE. Also the screw is not the same on either one, so some one has redone or swapped parts and then reshaped the lever.

Yes the old Kimbers were all investment cast, the ring halfs, the lever also. The Octagon section of the screw and lever so the lever could be adjusted, but that section was tapered which then got tight and made it hard to adjust.

JW

Posts: 1442 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the thread and pics. The bases were made by Shane Thompson according to this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com.../Custom_Scope_Mounts

one of us
posted Hide Post
The pattern is very close to the old Lynn Brownell rings, who was the first as far as I know to come out with that design.

I have a very old set and the only difference is my levers are much more petite. they have fine checkering on them and are beautiful..The bases are very low also, much like the early Kimbers were. The Talley base is quite high, and probably a little stronger because of that so Im told,but the Brownells have been working fine for me for about 50 years best I recall..Wish I could find another set or two. As far as custom square bridge intregal dovetails, they sit at the height of the metalsmith..Those in the picture are really nice..

The mid dated Kimbers with the spring that allowed the pull out and postion set of the rather ugly levers, got me in a real mess in that heavy recoil shifted the position of the lever that on a Mauser with lowest of mounts for my 3X scope required and stopped the bolt handle lift during a buffalo charge. Fortunately the hunter and PH handled the problem quite well..I reset the levers and taped them up with electrical tape for the remainder of the hunt..

Opps got a bit off the subject but what the heck, its worth taking notice, if someone is using the old Kimbers. I installed a much strong spring when I got home and solved the problem..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I have an almost new in box set in medium height. PM me, I would be willing to part with them if you're interested.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I notice on the set pictured with the "short levers on the left side of the barreled action..That is custom work IMO, and by someone who knows..The short levers will work on a Mauser, the rest of the builders never considered the bolt release that interfers with long levers..I have modified all my Talley and Talley types rear lever to do likewise..this pertains to low bases and rings basically and some modifieds work on some rifles..

Not a big problem, just a heads up for some.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote