THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Convert from 30'06 to 416 Taylor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convert from 30'06 to 416 Taylor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a circa 1950-1952 FN Mauser Belgium made 30'06. I would love to have it made to a 416 Taylor. Any advice?

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Pretty much open the bolt and rebarrel. Maybe a touch of feed work.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will love the Taylor!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you even have to "open" the bolt?
I thought the Taylor was built on the '06 case so everything would be the same except the hole down the barrel.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Do you even have to "open" the bolt?
I thought the Taylor was built on the '06 case so everything would be the same except the hole down the barrel.

Zeke

AFAIK, that is incorrect. .416 Taylor is a magnum rim diameter round (.532 vs. .473)

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
THE 416 TAYLOR IS A NECKED DOWN 458 WIN. MAG CASE. I HAVE AND LOVE IT.

FESS

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
The 416 Taylor is a very fun caliber to shoot, so far all I've loaded are the 350 GN Speer's, but is a lot of fun.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know where my head was with my comment!
I'm just showing my memory and ignorance I guess.
You'd think I would remember since I was involved in helping a friend build a .416 Taylor.
Sorry guys,
Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .416 Taylor is similar to the .416 AAZW, which is what I created once when I dumped a .338 Win Mag into a .416 chamber while trying to kill a buffalo that didn't want to die. Taught me a good lesson: never put .338 rounds in the .416 ammo belt.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAZW,
I've never shot a .416 AAZW. I suspect it would not be very effective! Did the bullet even impact the buffalo?
You should start a thread and in it we'll disclose all our mistakes too.
It would be the most entertaining thread on the site.
Sorry, this had nothing to do with a 416 Taylor conversion.
Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
It actually is a pretty funny story. I originally shot this buff with a 400 grain Swift. He went down, but he would not die. As we walked up he started to swing his head; my PH said, "He is going to charge, so shoot him again."

I shot and told him to shoot until the thing was dead. Of the 8 buffalo I have shot, this one by far died the hardest (most just go down; half died with one shot). You could hear the air suck thru the holes in his chest when he breathed. He never did get back up, but he wouldn't die. Well, in my haste to kill him I fished out that .338 Win round and fed it into the chamber. I distinctly remember the recoil was way less than normal.

As we skinned out the buff, the PH said it had a wound from a poacher. He showed me the bullet - a .338 bullet that looked brand new except the lead tip was missing. I said, "Hell, that looks like my .338 bullets!"

Indeed, the spent case I later found was the new .416 AAZW.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Pretty much open the bolt and rebarrel. Maybe a touch of feed work.

Trust me! A lot more than a "touch of feed work"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote