Find
Notify
Tools

6.5mm wsm vs. 7mm wsm???????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brett,
Really enjoyed the cruise yesterday. We saw all the creatures that were advertised. Would have been better if the wife hadn't been seasick.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Would have been better if the wife hadn't been seasick.

Ouch!!! Rough day or weak stomach?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett,
She has been out 4 times and with so called professional help with medication in advance, she still got sick. Met an old friend today, Skip Winfree, the owner of 10th and M Seafood. We used to race together. I knew his wife when she owned the lodge on Finger Lake. They married about when we moved in 1980. Looks like we may visit with more old Anchorage friends tonight. We ate with old friends which is now Tuesday night and some more Thursday night.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Thanks Brett,
Really enjoyed the cruise yesterday. We saw all the creatures that were advertised. Would have been better if the wife hadn't been seasick.
Butch

Sorry to hear that.

Hope the rest of the trip she fares better.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
Stop by the Anchorage Market on Saturday. It is right downtown on 3rd Avenue. Swing by my booth and say hello if you get the chance.
Wildlife photographer on the first row, about 1/3rd of the way down.

Booth is easy to find. There are three huge photos on the back panels. One of Denali, one of a bear catching a salmon in mid air, and the last is a close up of eagle bust with piercing eyes.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Randy,
I wish I had known sooner. We have been here 10 days. We are leaving tomorrow at midnight.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, shit,........I should of read this thread sooner!
Hope you and the wife had a great trip and have safe travels back to Texas.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I'm just going to stick with the 7wsm.

I think you'll be happy with that. It's hard to beat 7WSM ballistics without going to a bigger action. I think Bryan Litz measured the BC of the Berger 180gr VLD at 0.706 at 3000fps. It's a popular round with the 1000yard f-class competitors as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

What did you finally decide?

Sadly, I'm not enough of a WSM fan to look at a custom one.....but bullet availability and wt would make me prefer the 7mm...

Does this mean your 325 is for sale?

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably start a "holy war" but I [ME!] think you`ll get better penetration and killing quality with less meat loss with the 6.5 bullets. This is based on over 40 years of 6.5s in various chamberings from the 6.5/223 to the 264 Thor and just about everything in between. Just my .02! Let the flames begin.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being a 6.5mm/.264" bore sort of guy, when the WSMs came out I was going to put together a 6.5 WSM and assembled all of the components to do so. The donor action was a Remington 700 SPS in 270 WSM and I made the classic mistake of shooting the donor. Since it shot good groups with Winchester/Olin factory ammo, I figured that it would do better with a better stock, a McMillan Mountain Rifle handle, and home rolled ammo. That rifle, 1st fired in 12/03, is still going strong and the 6.5mm barrel is still waiting for a project. I've never been sorry or looked back, even though I have never been a 270 fan. This rifle just shoots too good to mess with.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
read this thread with much interest...as it involves cartridges pushing .284" bullets.....

absolutely insane how the best of the WSM's is the least popular(dunno about a 7mm-325 comparo though)....the 7mmWSM SHOULD be the most popular of the bunch,...but it aint,..which says alot about the ballistic savvy of the average rifle buyer/shooter. I shoulda bought a Montana 7WSM when they were available....nothing really "wrong" with the 270 version,..just that it aint a 7mm.....

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
.270 WSM.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 270 WSM shooting 150s would be very hard to beat for what you are wanting.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Very interesting topic.

Personally, I feel that the 6.5 WSM would be a little over bore.

I shoot a 180 Berger in my 7WSM and get with little or no trouble, a touch over 2800fps MV with WLRM and 62.5 VV N165.

I am currently experimenting with 7mm Sierra 100 grain varmint hollow point at around 3600.

I also have a 6.5-.308 (AKA .260REM)that will send a 129 gr. Hornady SST at 2900 with a little over 47 gr. of VV N165 (if memory is correct.) Sends 100 SVHP at around 3270.

So I think 6.5 WSM might be too much of a good thing. .264 Win Mag is known for short barrel life with full loads. I once had a M700BDL with a stainless barrel and didn't have that problem. Your opinions may vary.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rembo:
read this thread with much interest...as it involves cartridges pushing .284" bullets.....

absolutely insane how the best of the WSM's is the least popular(dunno about a 7mm-325 comparo though)....the 7mmWSM SHOULD be the most popular of the bunch,...but it aint,..which says alot about the ballistic savvy of the average rifle buyer/shooter. I shoulda bought a Montana 7WSM when they were available....nothing really "wrong" with the 270 version,..just that it aint a 7mm.....

Your problem is not that big a deal. Get the 300 WSM and get riflesmith to fit 7WSM custom barrel of your choice. You can also choose appropriate twist for your bullets if you like. I chose Lilja 3 groove 1 in 9. Seems to work perfect.

Browning also offers several rifles in 7 WSM.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
If the rifle is to be used primarily for hunting - I'd go with the 270 WSM.

If primarily for targets - I'd go with the 6.5 WSM wildcat.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote