THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Winchester Model 70 conversion to .300H&H... What would you do?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 70 conversion to .300H&H... What would you do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, as the title says, I'm interested in converting an off-the-shelf Model 70 into a .300H&H.

Has anybody done this?

Would a .375H&H work as a start? Or something smaller? If smaller, which calibre, and what would the surgery involve?

Any experiences?

Of course, I am doing my research, and have to balance all this out against buying a CZ550 already in .300H&H or tracking down and arranging import of a pre-'64 Model 70 already in .300H&H.

Thank you.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
First thought was to buy a M70 in 300 Win Mag and ream the chamber to 300H&H.

BUT looking at the cartridge drawings,
a 300 H&H reamer WILL NOT clean up a 300Win Mag chamber!

So, guess you could buy the 375H&H and have it rebarreled to 300H&H

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Easy rebarrel starting with a 7mmSTW which is a cheaper donor than a 375 IME

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do Winchester make a Model 70 in 7mm STW?

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they do Ben, they don't send them Down Under mate.

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Mark, I hadn't heard of it in Australia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soooo.....what makes the 300 H&H more desirable than the 300 Win Mag? The WM was actually developed to give more velocity and less throat erosion than the H&H, and from a std-length magazine.

If it's just charisma that you're seeking then that's fine, but if it's performance then IMO you're barking up the wrong tree.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
I don't find that the 300H&H gives up anything to the 300 WinMag. Factory ammo in 300 HH is ratehr mundane, but handloaded ammo easily equals 300WM bullet for bullet.

My go-to load for the HH so far seems to be the 200 NP ahead of about 66 grains of H4350, win new brass and a LR Mag primer. 2885 fps and no signs of pressure. I don't think I need more, even though a similar load of H4831 should show a bit more velocity, with capacity to spare...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Mark, I did some Googling, and it looks as though at one time Winchester did make a Model 70 in 7mm STW.

J.D.Steele, my only flat-shooting, scoped little calibre is a Ruger No.1 in .300H&H, and I am in love with the cartridge, for the heritage, history, tradition, romance, etcetera. For me, this game isn't so much about what is the most logical, rational rifle or calibre, it's about enjoyment (which is different for everybody). And for reasons that either don't make much sense, or are difficult to explain, I like certain calibres. Mostly I shoot big bores.

Andrew, I do my own loading for all my rifles. For the 300H&H, so far 180 grain Woodleigh PPSNs, 70 grains of AR2213SC and Federal 215M primers seems to work. I've taken chital, pigs, donkeys, a scrub cow and a buffalo bull with my single-shot .300H&H. And soon it is going to Africa with me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
J.D.Steele, my only flat-shooting, scoped little calibre is a Ruger No.1 in .300H&H, and I am in love with the cartridge, for the heritage, history, tradition, romance, etcetera. For me, this game isn't so much about what is the most logical, rational rifle or calibre, it's about enjoyment (which is different for everybody)..

Charisma is perhaps the very BEST reason!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew they made them Ben, but as I mentioned... Not all good things end up down here mate. I have never seen or heard of a M70 in 7mmSTW being for sale Down Under.....

Cheers,
Mark.

P.S. I like your thinking on the 300H&H though. So what happens about a 505?? Smiler

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we'll see how finances hold up for all these dreams on my return from Africa... I think I'm getting carried-away with wild ideas to help pass the time before I take-off! Because, there's still the two Ruger No.1s that need some 'smith work, and the .416 Rigby needs a stock made... well, "need" probably isn't the right word, but you know what I mean! Decisions, decisions...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love he .300 HH good used winchester pre 64 rifle still avail in the US

Posts: 70 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My old pre 64 mod. 70 began life as a std. wt. Mod 70, and some 40 years ago I ran across a used but nice std. wt. 300 H&H barrel that I knew shot like a target rifle. I cut the rear ring to allow extraction, a slot in the front ring for ease of loading ala the factory. set the bolt stop back and had some rail work done and stuck the barrel in...It shot unbelievable groups and now after Lord knows how many rounds it still shoots tiny Camp Perry groups!..No blue left, the nice custom wood stock no longer looks beautiful, more like drift wood after a Beaver took to it, and its been to the four cornors of the earth..

The 300 H&H is really a misunderstood round and has been the subject of some dimwitted scribes for sure...With 200 and 220 gr. bullets that do not interfer with powder capacity it really cooks and is damn close to a Weatherby with a good handload, and outshines the 300 Win and its ilk, only beat by the RUM and those real big kicking monsters..The 300 H&H feeds like poop thru a goose, and extracts like poop out of a goose. As you can see I am a 300 H&H fan..

You still see a lot of 300 H&H rifles in the PHs gun cabinets in Africa, they like'em...

I never met a man that used the 300 H&H that didn't love it..met some that never used it who didn't care for it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote