New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear Sight Advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What’s the best for 100m fixed sight on an .06, shallow V, small U or V notch?
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
For a 100yd/meter rear sight I would go with a shallow V. I think the shallow v is easier to see and shoot off hand or from sticks. If the shooter is older and has trouble focusing on the sights a small U or V can be hard to see clearly. I also take a file and angle the face of the front bead and polish that surface, this makes the front bead a lot more visible as it reacts with sunlight.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On DGR's, I've seen the nod to ghost ring peep sights...Have to admit, they are quick and easy to place shot. You just CAN'T take too much or too litle bead. Your eye simpy keeps things centered without thiking aboput it.

Nothing new....

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t a front sight with a hood do the same thing? If so what is the point of a rear sight like a shallow v?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leaning towards the shallow V, seems to be very popular amongst custom makers.
Duane, it’s not a DGR, just a 30.06 stalking rifle.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot far better with a ghost ring than with any open sight.
I shoot better with a medium-sized peep than with a ghost ring, but the difference is marginal.

For me, when it comes to iron sights on rifles, some sort of peep is always the best answer.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used the ghost ring rear sight offered by NECG?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, an aperture rear sight has always proved more accurate and faster than the traditional wide vee, or buckhorn. With interchangeable apertures, it's even more versatile (range work vs hunting).

For some odd reason, however, I can use the wide vee/small bead combination found on English singles/doubles almost as well. Almost all of my hunting rifles have aperture back-ups on them, the manner of mounting being dependent on the action.

Dave Manson

Posts: 686 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
Has anyone used the ghost ring rear sight offered by NECG?

Many times...usually the one for the CZ 550 and make a base as needed Made of steel, plenty of adjustment and and arpeture not "hidden" by ears, etc

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
No I mean the one where the ghost ring sits in a typical rear sight base on the barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like peep sights but, for a fixed sight, a shallow "V" is appropriate. This is assuming a back-up role or a short range sight. For a primary sight, I would go with a peep of some description.
The purpose of the rear sight is to locate your eye. If you shoot enough to get confident, you can dispense with the rear sight altogether. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bluefish:
No I mean the one where the ghost ring sits in a typical rear sight base on the barrel.[/QUOTE\

Hmmmm. Might improve a bit over the open vee...as in a full buckhorn, still would defeat the concept of aperature as close to the eye as practical for self centering . Where have you seen that?

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
NECG

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used two different barrel mounted peep sights. The first was a Buffington sight on a 1873 Springfield. The second was a Williams aperture which replaced the blade on their WGOS sight. This one was more of a "ghost ring" sight. The Buffington was usable on the range, as long as light conditions were good. The other worked about as well as the open sight blade. It was too far from the eye to be fast and too big to be precise. I used it for a while, then went back to the blade. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane is correct. The aperture sight located close to the eye gives almost infinite depth of field, which allows the front sight and target to be in focus. Positioning an aperture on the barrel, in the traditional location for a v-shaped sight, defeats the purpose of the aperture. The forward location of the aperture also makes it more difficult/slower to find the front sight in the aperture.

I'd suggest placing the aperture near your eye--where it'll do the most good--or using a traditional V rear on the barrel.

Dave Manson

Posts: 686 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
NECG

Out of curiosity, tried to find such a set up at NECG and Recknagel, without luck

Anyway,. an idea worth disregarding

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
In the rear eights section.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The peep sight is the best, but thats not the point..a shallow V on the barrel ramp is instantly available when the scope comes off, no fishing around for the detachable peep to install, the V was especially designed for instant irons to go into the bush for the bad and wounded animal..I prefer it to all other options, but the option is yours..A peep should be your primary sight with out the scope option on a DG rifle IMO..all provided you have good eyesight otherwise a 3X Leupold might be best suited to some...but to each his own.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

OK found it! Hey..if it sends your flag up the pole, go for it.

I'll bet it ends up in history like the Dockendorf front sight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bite, what's a Dockendorf?

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:

OK found it! Hey..if it sends your flag up the pole, go for it.

I'll bet it ends up in history like the Dockendorf front sight

Was mainly interested in your opinion that’s all since it strikes me that a front sight with a hood creates a similar visual effect and is a rear sight needed at that point. Of course if one removed the hood….

one of us
posted Hide Post
I replaced the V sight on my Savage 24V with a peep aperture, it is down the barrel a little and does not interfere with its 2-7X scope in QD mounts.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by setters5:
I'll bite, what's a Dockendorf?

It was a front bead suspended "upside down" on the hood. The concept was that on an overhold, the target would still be visible.

Some popularity in the 60's ... I personally thought it made sense.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That wouldn't work for me!

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d go with the shallow v. I have one on a double rifle and it is the fastest open sight I’ve ever had on a barrel. The bead on the front sight just seems to fall into the centre of the v. It’s a very fast sight to put on target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No I mean the one where the ghost ring sits in a typical rear sight base on the barrel.

Track of the Wolf sells one for muzzle loaders. I tried it and cut my groups in half.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A peep sight mounted so far forward also cuts your FOV in half so might not be the best solution on a hunting rifle.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a shallow V with a 0.1” front bead. Smaller, like the 0.07” bead H&H seemed to favour just disappears with my age it eyes.

Happy hunting and good shooting.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shallow V with a 3/32 bead or a post that fits flush with the V. somewhat like the sight picture on a S&W revolver is dirty fast and accurate..the receiver is always a smart option on any rifle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote