THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Color case hardening, how do you do it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Color case hardening, how do you do it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
If someone wanted to dabble in it where would you find the right information to pull it off in style?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is absolutely something you don't dabble in. Go to www.doublegunshop.com and search for case color and the work Oscar Gaddy has done. Also look through old copies of Double Gun Journal. It is one of the most complex issues of gunsmithing.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even the best at it aren't sure how each job will turn out before its done.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are good tutorials in several gun books. One is in one of Guy Lautard's Machinist Reader series (The Bullseye Mixture IIRC) and the other is in one of the Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks series, probably either 3 or 4.

It's not witchcraft or rocket science but then again the results are not predictable either, especially under 'dabbling' conditions (grin).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do an internet search. It is an interesting process. The big item, at least for me, would be the proper heat source. There is something about getting to 1400 degrees that might prove a problem. For the inexpensive minded, there is always Kasenit (sp). It could provide good color as opposed to finding bone scraps, etc. I have not tried it, but would love to if I can find a good heat source.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It isn't a DIY project as it has a very long learning curve. My Color Case Hardened rifle is fantastic and was done by www.turnbullmfg.com .He's one of the best.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Kasenite will not color; it only comes out gray. You have to use bone charcoal, mixed with wood charcoal, heat in a closed box for one hour at about 1400 degrees, then quench in cold water that has had air or oxygen bubbles run through it for an hour. simple process and everyone has their variations. Turnbull is the best and I have several pieces done by him. He is not cheap, though. Oh yeah, be careful with 4140 steel; you will make it brittle if you heat it too hot. Too much carbon.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll find a very good article on the subject in an old Double Gun Journal. A Google search will get you there.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/d...unjournal_v7i4_9.htm

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your best bet is to send it to Turnbull. Bailey Bradshaw is building me a SS and it has been sent off to Turnbull. They are doing the action, rings, pg cap, toe plates and sling swivels. I can't wait to see it.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try visiting the marlin collectors website. There is lots of info and some photo's on the process from start to finish. It is not as diffucult as some would make it out to be.

Posts: 46 | Location: ohio, usa | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
There is another company, the Case Color Company?, but I can't find a website. They advertise in most of the better gun magazines.

Dave

Posts: 919 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm convinced that its more art than science. I've done it at least a dozen times and only had it come out pretty once.
Let the pros do it.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Case Color Company colored about 6 actions for me in the 90's. Don't know if they are still around but they did a fantastic job and no warping on the old Ballard and HiWall actions.

Keith Kilbey, from Wyoming Armory, has colored 7 of my Ballard and HiWall actions as well and they know how to get those colors correct. I'm having them color 3 Borchardts and 1 Ballard. Will post when I have that accomplished.

Dutch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you send a firearm to anyone make sure you understand what process they use and then look very closely at samples of their finished products. Not every process yields the same result and variations in tone and color mix are determined in part by the process. That is especially important if you are trying to get coloration that is historically accurate.

Turnbull is one of the best and has been doing it for quite a while. Brad Bachelder in Grand Rapids MI is relatively new to the game but is recreating colors that rival any being created today. He has done quite a bit of work for me and the results are every bit as good as Turnbull and turn around much quicker.

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:

I drive my parts over to John, he calls me in a couple of days and tells me to bring money.

www.classicgunsinc.com

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:

I drive my parts over to John, he calls me in a couple of days and tells me to bring money.

www.classicgunsinc.com

My color hardening technique is remarkably similar to Mr. Fireball's. The only variation is the manner of delivery, as I use the USPS.

I am very pleased with Classic's work in every respect and can recommend them without hesitation.

Respectfully,

Glenn Fewless

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
Here are some small add-on's Turnbull has done for me...

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote