New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swede Take Down
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some may recognize this system on a 30-06 I posted a while back..This is the little brother to that commission. The Mexican action was re heat treated by Blanchard's. I always like to modify the tangs on these actions to look more like the standard 98. The front ramp checkering was done on the Bridgeport using a Nine/9 tool..each cut advanced .040.

Barrel is a Lothar Walther chambered to 6.5 x 55.mm. engraving by Roger Kehr. Wiebe Butt plate and bottom metal., custom bases also accommodate Talley peep.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Extremely nice !

Posts: 704 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Doesn't get any better than that.

Posts: 17110 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome job, Duane I’m always amazed at the amount of stunning rifles you build.
I looked up the nine9 tool, looks like your checkering file is now obsolete!

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exquisite!!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Classy rifle in a classic caliber. Seems to be a resurgence in the 6.5x55 being this is the second one I have seen posted here in the last month or two.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

What's a nine9 tool?

Beautiful Duane.

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To call it stunning would be understatement.....wow.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by setters5:
quote:

quote:

What's a nine9 tool?

Beautiful Duane.

The nine9 is an inserted chamfer tool. They are pretty handy.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I made buttplates, I used the tool to checker (with proper program, of course.) The greatest asset was replaceable carbide inserts...break the sharp tip, you can proceed without change of "texture" With HSS engraving tool....gotta start with new "Z" ...all over again!

They ARE spendy!

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice as usual Duane. Metal adornments a well.
So, tell me. How long did it take to grow the wood around the metal? Be well. Have fun.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5105 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. It is one of my life’s ambitions to commission a rifle with you one day!

Posts: 147 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 02 January 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do metal checkering like that with a tap that has had all but one section of threads removed. Its faster allowing the cutting of multiple lines in one pass. Try it you'll like it.

Posts: 384 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger's engraving looks great, as usual. Is there any on the floorplate?

KJK

Posts: 679 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunswizard:
I do metal checkering like that with a tap that has had all but one section of threads removed. Its faster allowing the cutting of multiple lines in one pass. Try it you'll like it.

Sounds like worth trying

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely spectacular!
Thanks for taking the time to show it to us.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunswizard:

This sounds like a wizard idea but I guess it only works on shortish pieces?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
God one to try out..Maybe someone will figure a way to checker bolt handles with it ?? HAR!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work, as always!

Just two (maybe dumb) questions:

1. It looks like a very specific relief cut in the wood under the buttplate trap door, what piece part is this intended to hold?

3. What is the purpose of the scope-base-looking bit attached to the front ring?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
Beautiful work, as always!

Just two (maybe dumb) questions:

1. It looks like a very specific relief cut in the wood under the buttplate trap door, what piece part is this intended to hold?

3. What is the purpose of the scope-base-looking bit attached to the front ring?

If I were to guess, the answers to both questions are interwoven.
The rifle has scope bases fitted.
The peep rear sight mounts on the rear sight base (which is a dovetail like the front) and stores in the butt when not in use.

Just a guess mind you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you nailed it... Thanks Peter!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep...I did not show a photo of the scope (and a back up scope) that utilizes Talley rings to fit the custom bases. The peep is also Talley, that of course, fits the rear base

Instead of carrying the peep around in your pocket, fits in the mortise under the trap biteplate

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
In regard to making the butt plate.
What is your MFG process?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The short answer is that it was a slow process. I copied the outline and curvature of a M/S...little deeper curve and slightly wider toe.

Started out with a block of 3/4" x 3" stock held in a special fixture , one for each side.

Trap door model's were even more trouble!

When I sold the machining center, tooling went along, but as is known..the entire operation died on the vine.

I've seen photos of a Max Mc Farland cast plate that looks pretty satisfactory.