THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Burley Idaho gun show nets me a 256 Newton??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burley Idaho gun show nets me a 256 Newton??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I traded for a super rifle, my first Newton, It says 256 on the action, but 280 on the barrel, bu the barrel is stamped with all the Newton lettering..A lot of Newtons were rebored, rechambered and what not as ammo was not available during WW1 and WW2, as the govt. took over the plant for the war effort and and after the war Newton went into receiver-ship. I will have to take a chamber case to see what I have..At any rate its a beatufil little double sqare bridge action, double set triggers, and 100% custom built by Newton..Schnable forend, a stock repair, It looks great but I may recondition it with a new custom stock using the old stock as pattern, add a rust blue..It will be a project to keep me busy for a year or better..but I will be hunting with it all the while if its shoots good..Lot of history about Newton on the internet..

Thanks Biebs for the pictures post.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Post a picture Ray.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Newton made a lot of good stuff----Including FIGS! Eeker

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
He was a fruit!

I cant post pictures but can email pictures.. will photograph when I get a chance

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Newton made a lot of good stuff----Including FIGS! Eeker

Hip

They're about the only cookie that's real food!
I usually only eat them during hunting season. Good thing for me, it's always hunting season somewhere!!!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to some experts on Newtons (collectors) who indicated that Newton rebored and rechambered many of his guns after the war (WW1 I assume) as this gun was built in 1916..but its marked on the barrel a 280 Rem. I don't think the 280 Rem existed during Newtons life time?? Im cleaning up a stock repair to look like grain..Im thinking about making a new stock on the same pattern, but Maybe just keep it as is and shoot it, Its really a neat gun and the 280 is a great caliber, lots of nostalgia..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice score, Ray!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16409 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeing as how the 7mm-06 wildcat was given legitimacy in 1957 and named ".280 Remington" then, it seems to me your Newton was re-bored/re-chambered sometime after that. Probably when it was polished and re-blued.

In some ways that's a blessing, and some ways a curse. A curse in that a lot (most) of its collector's value is lost, a blessing in that intrinsic value is good - you can use the neat piece of history to your hearts content without fearing for its well being. I would shoot the heck out of it.

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gnoahh,

Thats obvious and I agree with your post, and stated that in in my initial posts.

Definitely refinished, good bore, great trigger, Just trying to decide on a restore project, or just shoot it and hunt with it as is..Its just a fun gun at this point.

BTW,there is fifty thousands difference in headspace between the 280 Rem and 7mm/06 that would need to be addressed should I want to use 06 brass to load. neck the 308 neck down to 284 just enough to fit the chamber giving it double shoulder then fire form...280 brass is hard to come by at reasonable prices..Nosler is available at $95 per 50!! barf

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 brass is a click longer than 280.
you can neck up and square the mouth off to make nice cases........ it's how I get my 25-06 brass.
and it fits my chamber/neck exactly how I want it to.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Base to shoulder on .280 brass is longer than .270 brass!

Ray is right he has to form a false shoulder first and I would cram the bullet into the rifling first and fireform to get a proper head spaced case.

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I resized 06 brass, added 20 grs of Hercules cornmeal and wax the neck, it fireformed perfect, shoule do that outside but too much snow and lots of cornmeal on everthing in the shop! rotflmo

friend stopped by and traded me a mint pre 64 win. fwt in 308 with the most outstanding factory stock Ive ever laid eyes on, and I needed no more projects, both of us are happy..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Newton turned out to be one of the first 10 made..Only two for sale in the US today a mint gun for $10,000 and a simi restored gun for$6000, traded mine off to a guy that can return it to new and thought that was the right thing to do, Newton had 11 lugs and other stuff that was neat and the action was swiss watch slick..can wait to see the finished product...I will likey sell the finished gun on contract or thats the plan so far..Perhaps just the metal work..or I may copy the original stock for him and sell as a restored Newton at high dollar..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kolo,
I can send a picture of the winchester to your email ??? send your email to mine..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I only had a couple of Newton's in the shop over all of my years of gunsmithing. When I started the RV life style I wanted a reloader for neck sizing my rifles cases. I had pictures of the Newton tool made small enough so I made a similar tool, but added a powder beam, powder measure, and Straight line seater. It is the best reloader for my purpose.

Does anyone have an original Newton reloader? I would think a few are out there, but would like to see what the value would be if it was for sale.

Les

Posts: 91 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 256 Newton has less than a stellar bore, but I will try it out as-is when I get the rifle back together after some stock repairs.
It came to me with a set of dies so I have to give it a try.

It has the Newton Bolt Peep site on it, kinda neat.

If it doesn't hit the side of the barn,,I'll likely have it rebored. To what I am not sure yet.
I'd like a 7x57 but I don't know if the .264 groove dia currently would allow a 7mm rebore.

I do have a mint bore '03 Springfield bbl dated '32 (?). That will fit right on it as the actions are threaded & breeched the same.
But I have enough 30-06's for now.

They are interesting rifles. Different enough to be interesting w/o being oddly different.