New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 722-40X Build
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Liked the way this ca1950 722 shot in its stock form so thought I'd add some refinements in handling and accuracy. Coyote medicine.

Used the Holland's Pillar System in the bedding job, floating both barrel and action, and a Timney Single-Stage trigger @ 25oz:

First results are pretty good for factory varmint ammo:

Posts: 663 | Location: Seabeck WA | Registered: 06 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job. I have an all original, 222 single shot. Tiny groups, and deadly on ground squirrels.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
them thar 722 triple deuces always were quite the rifles. able to shoot the dingleberries off a flys azz

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You floated the barrel and action? You left the action sitting on nothing except the pillars?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
You floated the barrel and action? You left the action sitting on nothing except the pillars?

Yes. Not a new idea. Anschutz 54's, K31 Service Rifles, and others have major sections of the action floated. You can see the floated areas covered by tape in the prep photo. Lessens the chances of a high spot developing and stressing the action.

Posts: 663 | Location: Seabeck WA | Registered: 06 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, OK, gotcha! I was thinking you floated the whole thing and left it on the pillars. You are correct about bedding just under the areas of the action where the screws pull it down. Otherwise you will bow it if you aren't careful. Nice job, thanks for sharing.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote