Find
Notify
Tools

Integral Barrel Machining
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last October

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
That looks sharp.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Very nice, lotta time, not many can do that kind of work, like the way the rib tapers.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job Duane! Sure hope Rich's $500 barrel exhibits this kind of Quality so he can continue to convince how easy that kind of work is Whistling or SR4759 explains how that could all be simply done with an EDM!
That is a lot of carving from 1 billet chunk of material! Really like the barrel underlug & front sight ramp & quarter rib incorporation! Can't wait to see the finished project & hear how it shoots! You are a true CRAFTSMAN!

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Nice work Duane...I know how many hours I have in the one I done last so I wont ask. I have not done one round with a rib, may have to have a go at it.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done and beautiful artistry Duane!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
wow

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you deny that a wire EDM can save a lot of the manual set up? Cobalt chrome and titanium hip implants have been made that way for decades and the geometry is just as complex and the application much more critical.

quote:
Originally posted by m4220:
Nice job Duane! Sure hope Rich's $500 barrel exhibits this kind of Quality so he can continue to convince how easy that kind of work is Whistling or SR4759 explains how that could all be simply done with an EDM!
That is a lot of carving from 1 billet chunk of material! Really like the barrel underlug & front sight ramp & quarter rib incorporation! Can't wait to see the finished project & hear how it shoots! You are a true CRAFTSMAN!

m4220

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Damn good stuff. There is a hell of a lot going on with that barrel. Look forward to the rest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super cool! What make/model of machines are you using for that Duane? Just how many hours do you have in that so far, if you don;t mind me asking?

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As always a pleasure to look your astistry in metal. Please give a second thought to your brochure. Congratulations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very cool, Duane. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks fantastic Duane. Much better than the one I am currently finishing up. I must have missed your post last October, will have to search for that one!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1479 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Looks fantastic Duane. Much better than the one I am currently finishing up.!

Bullshit modesty.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm not qualified to judge it but I'd love to have it!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming that the barrel is indexed to the action before the machining commences?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ab_bentley:
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Looks fantastic Duane. Much better than the one I am currently finishing up.!

Bullshit modesty.

Adam

I don't think so at all! Duane's barrel is much more complex than the one I have been working on, mine has a integral qtr rib and integral rib, but no integral sling swivel, no integral front sight base, and the detail work is much more in depth than the one I am finishing up.

Complexity, combined with the fact I bet I have half again as many hours as Duane makes me say, Damn, someday I hope I can be that good!

Duane, I would be interested in reading/hearing how you set up the indexed barrel prior to machining. I have done barrels both ways (cut octagon/thread chamber) vs (thread chamber/cut octagon) but have not decided one way or the other. Both seem to have their advantages and draw backs.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent work from a true Master craftsman.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine should start sometime this month. I am hoping (make that praying) mine comes out as well executed as this one Duane did.

This is just gorgeous...

Rich

Edit Note: I find it somewhat odd that some here have the time to post negative comments Re my approach to getting a barrel like this done. I would absolutely love to be able to afford Duane's work. He is not overpriced for the "0ne-of..." work he does. I just don't have the $$$, as a retired/disabled Vietnam Veteran to do so. I need to rathole $$$ for a year to go to Africa hunting.

If I may, why don't you all just pick up the phone and call McGowan Barrels and talk to Dan Wynne and price having him make you one?

A couple million bucks worth of CNC machinery makes the job a lot easier, even if it does not have the style that having Duane do it does.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
A couple million bucks worth of CNC machinery makes the job a lot easier...

Not for me. CNC, Bridgeport or hacksaw...it would all look pretty much identical. And not "good" identical.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
You have missed the point! In part 1 Duane was showing his method of making a 1 off custom barrel to mimic the original configuratation seen on fine continental guns of early part of the century with modest common equipment. Then several folks jumped in with comments on how easy this would be to do with CNC & EDM & how much cheaper? Those who know how & have used the type of equipment discussed & offered different opinions knowing that the setup & programing time would exceed the cost Duane spent doing it with conventional equipment & methods. If you still really expect that you are going to receive a barrel configuration any where near what Duane has produced at the price point you have quoted I think you are going to be dissappointed. I expect that we might see something like a staight tapered octagon with a ribbed sighting plane, (BIG DIFFERENCE) in producability. We all understand the part of commishining custom work at a price point that we can afford but then don't argue APPLES & ORANGES! That was the point being made! If your barrel comes back any where near this when you show us your creation then Mr McGowan better be ready for a flood of orders!

m4220

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Of course, going past index is enough to make you want to slash your wrists

I'll bet that it would be cheaper to buy another action to fit. Eeker

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M,

if you have ever seen a round barrel milled to octagon, you would realize it is simple. If it were not, octagon barrels would cost a lot more than they do.

It will not likely be as elegant as Duane's. His is a one-of-one.

That said, it is a simple set up. I spoke with McGowan's this morning, and they told me that.

1. You just thread and fit the blank to the action with a slight offset. Instead of 12:00 you fit at 12:05.

2. Then you punch mark the action and offset, and mill the 7 other flats. The 8th one is then milled just enough to make the flat top 8th flat.

Unless, of course, you want to taper the rib. By not tapering it, you can set mill the rib for your QD Talley rings. Do your load work with a big X scope, like the 36X Leupold scope I use. Once you
have the load, then do an island rear. Last, you fit your rear, island or whatever, and put the ramp front. If it is too tall for adjustment, you can simply mill the rib to suit.

McGowan cannot compete with Duane. Very few companies or individuals can. They can just do this for guys like me who can barely afford Africa every other year.

I must be the only person here who doesn't make seven-figures a year off of investments alone. Middle Class ISS, that's who I am.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Be grateful for what you have. My yearly GROSS income would not foot the bill to go to africa.

I had a McGowen barrel come through the shop. I wouldn't spend my money on one, but it was OK for what it cost. The one that came through did not have a rib though.

Duane,

Have you milled then threaded and chambered? Was there a reason you did not like this method if you did try it? The last two octagons I threaded, chambered, crowned. Cut between centers with a dog on the chamber end (on the threads) and had good success, but I do not like the dog.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Instead of 12:00 you fit at 12:05."???? So Rich with your Quote & looking at my watch, you would have already screwed up this Simple work by over indexing to +30 degrees. Duane said indexed -5 degrees = 355 degrees, to allow for torque to tight & rib top dead center I am sure, with margin to skim the shoulder if needed.

M

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
M,

if you have ever seen a round barrel milled to octagon, you would realize it is simple. If it were not, octagon barrels would cost a lot more than they do.

It will not likely be as elegant as Duane's. His is a one-of-one.

That said, it is a simple set up. I spoke with McGowan's this morning, and they told me that.

1. You just thread and fit the blank to the action with a slight offset. Instead of 12:00 you fit at 12:05.

2. Then you punch mark the action and offset, and mill the 7 other flats. The 8th one is then milled just enough to make the flat top 8th flat.

Unless, of course, you want to taper the rib. By not tapering it, you can set mill the rib for your QD Talley rings. Do your load work with a big X scope, like the 36X Leupold scope I use. Once you
have the load, then do an island rear. Last, you fit your rear, island or whatever, and put the ramp front. If it is too tall for adjustment, you can simply mill the rib to suit.

McGowan cannot compete with Duane. Very few companies or individuals can. They can just do this for guys like me who can barely afford Africa every other year.

I must be the only person here who doesn't make seven-figures a year off of investments alone. Middle Class ISS, that's who I am.

regards,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. I am sure, after twenty years at it, the folks at McGowan will know how to do it.

I'm preoccupied with driving the jag back to St Louis for the weekend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I stand corrected. I am sure, after twenty years at it, the folks at McGowan will know how to do it.

They don't; I have a friend who ordered one and it took a year to get it and it was the wrong caliber! He sent it back and waited another year and finally got one in the correct caliber but it was way to big, way bigger than his specs. He gave it to me and I milled it down and turned it to half oct, half round.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you're going to complain about being middle class, you'll get more sympathy if you don't mention your Jag in the same thread.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack Duane but is your cz bottom metal for the standard 550s as shown on AHR site only available through them? I'd be happy to communicate via PM if you prefer.

Thanks

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
...and for Duane's next trick, see him machine a half-octagon barrel with integral rib, sights, swivel loop, and Mauser action all from a SINGLE PIECE of stock...step right up!

That is a real beauty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
quote:

If you're going to complain about being middle class, you'll get more sympathy if you don't mention your Jag in the same thread.

Perhaps true of new Jags but old Jags are economically oppressive unless you are qualified to do all the work on your own.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
...and for Duane's next trick, see him machine a half-octagon barrel with integral rib, sights, swivel loop, and Mauser action all from a SINGLE PIECE of stock...step right up!

That is a real beauty.

Karl Lippard actually does this!

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Karl Lippard actually does this!

DAmnation...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
Remarkable Mr. W, the owner of this rifle is truly fortunate, thank you for sharing, am in awe of your knowledge, skills and craftsmanship.

Ditto.
The stock is almost as supernatural as the metal on that rifle. The finished rifle will have great redeeming social value. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Bridgeport, files, stones and paper. I have about 60 hours in it as you see it...without the round part, maybe cut that in half.

SR 4759 is probably right about EDM..I just don't have one and my CNC it not big enough and not really looking for a career in making these barrels.

Last I heard GMA was charging $1500 for an integral barrel fresh out of the CNC.. actually a bargain. Interested to see Rich's $500 job from Mc Gowan

Have I missed the pic's of Rich's McGowan bbl that was to be cut in May? Been 3 months now & I would have thought Rich would have supplied a pic after all the fuss of explaining how easy it is to make one of these with a couple million dollars worth of CNC machinery & to just call McGowan.

m4220

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice stock with a perfect design Duane..Like it.

Last I checked Lothar Walthar charged $1600.00 for a basic half round/half oct. barrel...

$500?, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is, but hey lets wait and find out..I'll sure take a few of them at that price if the workmanship is there and they shoot! dancing jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
m4220,

McGowan misread the order, and made it with a quarter-rib instead of FL. They apologized and told me mid-September.

Believe me, once Jim Kobe fits the barrel to my Steve Earle Frank Wesson #1 Long Range action it will be posted. It will be a .450-400 Nitro Express 3 1/4 chambering.

If you are curious, you can google McGowan's website and contact them about one. Talk to Dan Wynne.

Ray, the price estimate is $650 plus the shipping. I also doubt if any game animal can tell the difference between any of the barrels being offered before or after you shoot it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:

They don't; I have a friend who ordered one and it took a year to get it and it was the wrong caliber! He sent it back and waited another year and finally got one in the correct caliber but it was way to big, way bigger than his specs. He gave it to me and I milled it down and turned it to half oct, half round.

Rich, Off to a good start? Don't think it took Duane 6 months to complete his custom! Why would you not follow the advise of the Smith that you have chosen to assemble & complete? As evidenced in above quote? Hope this works out for you but I would suggest confirming configuration & price before another mistake is made.

m4220

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fooled with EDM a little. Would you please tell me how it can be done?

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote