THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Metal Finish on Quarter Rib and Rear Sight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metal Finish on Quarter Rib and Rear Sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have seen pictures of custom rifles that had a lightly crosshatched pattern on the rear sight leaf and sometimes the quarter rib. It is not stippling as it has a regular diagonal crosshatch pattern and it is not nearly as deep as checkering. What is this called and how is it done? Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Matting, roll stamp.

Sorry for the vague answer but that pretty much it's it.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thilnk you're describing an angravers art. He engraves those diamonds a line at a time, then puts some dettail...a dot, shading etc.

Can be very attractive when well done..

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Duane. It appears to be engraved in all the examples I've seen. It doesn't appear to be a roll stamp.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I think probably most ribs are file cut. All I have seen are borderless. They are cut either as a single direction perpendicular to the bore, or 2 directions as very fine checkering.

It's a bit on the spendy side to have done. I ran across a 2010 quote from AyA. Handcut rib: $795. Machine cut: $550.

I doubt he's still doing it, but Jim Wisner worked out a way to machine checker with a mill and a fly cutter. Very ingenious and it looked quite nice.

As an aside, all of the sights I have seen cut in this fashion have borders, which indicates either a single line at a time or done with a liner.

I'm currently working on a little restoration for John Farner(toomanytools). I made a liner to match the existing engraving.

The one on the left was made with a 50 lpi checkering file. The one made for John's project I hand cut with a single line graver. Not sure about how many lpi, but would guess about 100-115 lpi.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Are they cut with checkering files?

Adam

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Yes. Very fine checkering files.

A roll die will work on a integral rifle rib, but would crush a shotgun rib and most likely the barrels would suffer a horrible fate as well.

Here's a little tighter shot of the liners:

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not want to argue with Roger, but
LOTS of shotgun ribs were done with roll dies in the past. Winchesters 21s and lots and lots of British guns, usually lower quality ones. I far prefer the looks of a hand cut rib.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Dollars to donuts the rib is rolled prior to attaching to the barrels. A lot of pressure applied in a very small area.

Winchester used 2 different roll dies for matting. Wavy line and checkered. The checkered matte was done on early rifles...can't say they ever used it on shotgun ribs. Can't say it because I don't know when they implemented the wavy line matting. Either way, your right. They, for sure, didn't hand file every rib.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put the order up for one Adam.... it is just money Big Grin dancing

Roger, I assume you did the two ribs pictured? Very nicely done.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
I think probably most ribs are file cut. All I have seen are borderless. They are cut either as a single direction perpendicular to the bore, or 2 directions as very fine checkering.

It's a bit on the spendy side to have done. I ran across a 2010 quote from AyA. Handcut rib: $795. Machine cut: $550.

I doubt he's still doing it, but Jim Wisner worked out a way to machine checker with a mill and a fly cutter. Very ingenious and it looked quite nice.

As an aside, all of the sights I have seen cut in this fashion have borders, which indicates either a single line at a time or done with a liner.

I'm currently working on a little restoration for John Farner(toomanytools). I made a liner to match the existing engraving.

The one on the left was made with a 50 lpi checkering file. The one made for John's project I hand cut with a single line graver. Not sure about how many lpi, but would guess about 100-115 lpi.

Wow, the detail on those sights is just gorgeous.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Put the order up for one Adam.... it is just money Big Grin dancing

Roger, I assume you did the two ribs pictured? Very nicely done.

Yes it is, indeed. I am still on board for the roll die.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
George Hoenig does this and the term he used was "florentine."

IF you look about midway through the pictures in this link you'll see a shot of the top of the rib and the effect. It is so shallow you can barely feel it, it's almost like the texture of a satin sheet.

http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=2093

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Amazing !

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In todays productions you will certainly find the treatment of the quarter ribs done by hand engraving.
But the ribs - especially on shotguns - were done by special toolings named guillochier machine.
You can reproduce it by cad/cam technology.

An example of the old way in the linked video

http://www.sdtb.de/index.php?id=947&igdetail=5

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
heavenknows, not at all an argument from me, just more curious, but are you sure they used a guilloche machine? The barrels that have perpindicular lines to the barrel I could see, but I have one with lines that run the length of the barrel?

Not saying it could not be done, I have only watched a few videos on the guilloche machine, so I do not know their full capabilities.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Here's a few examples using tooling Roger Kehr helped me out with. It uses a very small chisel to make the pattern. Sure beats a bright surface.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typical work made by Guillochier machine.
http://www.hallowellco.com/mer...79%202-bbl%20set.htm

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Can someone post a photo showing Rogers tools being used?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gentlemen, for your comments. The pics by Scrollcutter were what I was referring to.