THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Dave Norin Rifles (photos added)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dave Norin Rifles (photos added)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
I have looked at his website. Have any of you worked with Dave or have one of his rifles? Thanks!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent craftsman, gunmaker/gunsmith and businessman. www.davenoringunmaker.com

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave is a personal friend and a very good gunsmith. A really nice guy to talk to as well and very reasonable in his pricing. His case hardening work matches that of early British guns very closely if you like the old British sporters. Do talk to him if you;re considering getting a rifle built by him.

You will find him a gentleman and a very talented gunmaker.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Full disclosure - Dave is a very good friend of mine.

That said, if I thought bad of his work and business practices I would just keep my mouth shut and give no thumb up or down. I am unbiasedly giving giving him a 5 star rating. Style is a Ford vs. Chevy thing, so you have to pick the makers that you like the best on that level. His work is very, very good. I can tell you that Dave is overwhelmingly the most professional gunmaker I know. He runs a custm gun business. His scheduling and client comminucation are more organized than anyone I know, myself included. I could go on and on, but hopefully you get the idea. If you have any specific questions just ask.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your responses... I have just purchased a 9.3x62 built by Dave and am looking forward to getting it in my hands. The current owner raved about it but didn't hunt with it much because of the "denting it in the field" phobia so many have with fine customs. I hope to put her through her paces in the bush.

I am also contemplating building a .300 H&H this year. I have the action and the wood... just need a 'smith! Sounds like Dave might be my guy!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked out his sight last night, i sure like his stock designs, looks to be real first rate work.

What I could understand was the one person that had a mod 30 made into a 505 gibbs, custom bottom metal etc. and kept the dog leg bolt. some people. Smiler

his forends, ont he few I looked at, seem a little thinner than most american makers, I like that.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm,

The 9.3x62 is Dave's personal favorite caliber and one that he recommends to a lot of clients. He would give you the background on your particular rifle when you talk to him. Best wishes with your planned 300 H&H. It will be superb if Dave builds it.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you will take her afield. Dave finishes his rifles to a high degree, but each and every one is made to be used in the field. He makes sure they work properly before shipping them. We all let something slip through the cracks occasionally, but for Dave it really would be an anomaly. With some of his rifles he will have 100 rounds through htem before shipping.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
forgot to add-please tell Dave he really should leave his furnace to me in is will. He wants to be burried in it, but i need it for work on this side of the grass. He will know what you are talking about. hilbily

Please post pics of the rifle when you get it in your hands. i really love Dave's work and his styling is very, very nice in my opinion as well. And i know this si just sounding like a broken record, but it is so astounding that I feel the need to mention it one more time-Dave is the best business-man-gunmaker I know. I do not know all of the top makers like I know Dave, so soem others may be as good. i sincerely doubt any are better. He is ajust a class act all the way around, and i am most definitely not just saying that because he is a very good friend of mine.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Russell: We need pics! Big Grin

<slancey>
posted
Dave has done a lot of small gunsmith jobs for me over the years, as well as 2 complete guns, so I guess I'm qualified to give an opinion.
He did a complete restoration of a Fox 12 ga. which included a new buttstock with measurements that fit me. Some work was done prior to his receiving the project, such as straightening the barrels (by Kirk Merrington) and some touch up on the engraving. His metal finishing - the bluing on the barrels, case hardening of the action, and nitre bluing of the triggers, etc. - are really fantastic. I feel that the wood work, however, is really his strong suit. The refinished forend is great and the new buttstock is simply amazing. It doesn't hurt that the thing fits me perfectly and has accounted for many pheasants, partridge, and geese.
He also finished a fully-customized 1942 Remington Model 720 (commercial Enfield). Again, much of the metal work had already been completed by Ed LaPour. Dave basically blued, jeweled, nitre blued and case hardened the metal parts, which were all outstanding. The killer on this project is that he had to make the stock from a blank using no patterns. I'll tell you that, while no project is ever absolutely perfect, this finished rifle is the most incredible firearm I have ever held in my hands. His prices are very competetive and the wait time is still reasonable. Oh, I almost forgot: it shoots 1" groups of 5 shots at 100 yards using a Lyman 48 peep sight. This one was built for open sights only. I know, I know: pictures. I'll try to get some loaded soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two rifles Dave did and they are both firt rate!

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Just received my Norin 9.3x62... very nice.

I apologize for my photography skills on the rifle...

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!! Eeker

Good looking shooter Russell!!!!

beer

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2

<slancey>
posted
Here is the Rem. 720 Dave finished for me:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply exquisite, I have seen several photos of his work and am very impressed with the grace and obvious quality of the rifles.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Slancey. That is the rifle for taking red deer on the hill in Scotland. Perfect.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
Yes it is. I've also envisioned Wild Boar in Poland and Blacktail Deer in Oregon.

One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Dave has done some really nice metal restoration work for me. His work is very high quality and Dave is a professional in all regards. Meets deadlines and stays in touch.

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote