Find
Notify
Tools

Expressions of Interest......
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
......well, expressions of opinion really....I have always wanted to build a take-down/switch barrel rifle,so I am seeking your opinions on some matters.

Calibres...As I already have ( and prefer )6.5 and 9.3, I was thinking of a 6.5-284 24" barrel and a 9.3-284 carbine barrel

Sights...express and banded front

Take-down...Whats the better joint locking set-up ??

Scope mounts...claw or QD ??

Stock...wood of course !

I would build this rifle because I wanted to, not for any specific purpose.I have an Oberndorf M98 action that I would use.

.....opinions or thoughts ??

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the claw mounts.

That said, they are very expensive, and that scope is pretty much fixed for that set of rings. 99% of the time the scope has to have the tube diameter front, and that will severely limit your choices for magnification.

I would suggest something like Talley bases and rings, a second scope and rings will allow you to switch barrels and the scope and be ready to go in a minute or two.

The coolest front sight, and I have one on my 404 Jefferys and another ordered for my 425WR is the one NECG sells. It is the H&H style flip front. The sight blade flips from a big bead for dim light or close up conditions, to a fine bead.

That two-barrel set should do everything you can hunt in OZ very well.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
....hopefully Alaska also, maybe not the big bears ( I stil have the 9.3x74R ).....ah! Alaska, tis but a dream, maybe one day if the Lotto gods agree!!

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
How about 6.5-06 and 9.3x62?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3817 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Do you need a repeater?

If not you might consider a break-action single shot. This negates the need for needing two calibers with similar dimensions.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....thanks to all for your excellent comments...LnB, I have a 6.5-06 and 9.3x62 so something different is in order, Duane, this is more of an exercise in seeing what I am capable of building, more than building for a specific use, also I would tend to carry one barrel or the other for a specific hunt.Aaron, while I would love a matching pair of single shots, I have an orphan Oberndorf that needs some guidance.......again, thanks to all for your comments and please keep them coming.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
While I make decisions on the details of this project, I'm going to be collecting components.To that end, does anyone sell a latching mechanism for between barrel and action....something like this

...would be perfect...very neat.
I don't think my abilities run to this sort of work just yet Frowner

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YumaSS,

Ya build em.

That's what I did with mine.

PM me and I'll send some photos.

They're not that difficult to build.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd stick to 6,5x55 and 9,3x62..
I'll feed much more smoohtly Smiler

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a screw in switch barrel with a little barrel wrench like my 9.3x62 Brno mod. 21 with a 7x57 barrel..Have remove the stock to switch the barrels with the wrench because of the barrel ramp and sights but the lockup is great for accuracy and will not wear and both barrels shoot under and inch.

I like the Claw mounts best of all simply because they return to zero better than the rest, and they are quick to remove or replace.

Caliber is up to the individual..I like a lot of calibers.

Truth is, I don't really get excited by switch barrel guns as I always have the wrong barrel on them at the wrong time! faint Two guns it the best option.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
......I'm with Thirdbite on this one Ray, pics would be good too!
Duane, you reccomend a 270/33-06 ( I assume you meant 338-06 )thereby using the same case, but doesn't a 6.5-284/9.3-284 (same case and similar COAL )give you the same result?
As I said, at this point, building this gun will be an exercise in doing, more than using.
Thanks you all for your input.....please continue tu2

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Looks like a Barney Worthen latch on a Springfield...If you're tackling this job, such a latch will be the least of your worries.

I take luck over skill every time and you may get lucky with 9.3/6.5but I've never built a 9.3 that I did not have to widen the rails up front for smooth, reliable feeding When you feed the shorter 6.5's, which are also small in diameter up front. there's a goods chance you may get into cranky feeding

Something like a 270/33/06..a 30-06/35 Whelen..whch use virtually common cases would be a safer bet

Well, I see that one.. The 6,5 is a bit wider at the end..
What about a 7x64 and a 9,3x62?
Classic German Wink

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote