THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    "CNC" barrel profiling on manual lathe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"CNC" barrel profiling on manual lathe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted
I was needing a better method to profile a barrel to my specs. Being one of those that doesn't get the vapors when the subject of turning a barrel down comes up, I added to my barrel turning box of tricks. I already had an air follower steady rest that Pete Grisel convinced me I had to build. The profiler I made uses an aluminum template I machine on my protrak and then my manual lathe follows it. The sheet metal guards keep the piles of chips from getting between the template and the rollers. That would produce a problem divot in the barrel the size of the chip that got rolled over. I was pretty happy with the fact that I can even do light finishing cuts on a slim taper barrel without any chatter.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt about it. You are a very talented man.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting James, very interesting!

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're getting a really good finish even for a light feed.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
The only air follower steady rests that I am familiar with were on our large CNC machines. What does this look like on a manual machine?

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I especially like the arm on the QC tool post.

Dave Manson

Posts: 687 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:
The only air follower steady rests that I am familiar with were on our large CNC machines. What does this look like on a manual machine?

Mark Stratton had drawings in his book of one. I know of a few folks that made them from the drawings. Harold Broughton used one in his barrel shop[.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:

Here's a pic of it used bolted to the bed. In the above pictures it's just bolted to the carriage.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DManson:
I especially like the arm on the QC tool post.

Dave Manson

Thanks Dave
It's my test piece after I made all the gears for my Hardinge Spiral attachment.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photo. Of course now more questions. What kind of pressure do you use? 30-40 psi?

I'm trying to scale it in my head, are those 3/4" pneumatic cylinders?

Looks like a must have piece of kit to me.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
20-40 psi. Just enough to remove any chatter.
Here's the cylinder.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#6498K141
I use some lube on it on a finished surface, but when turning the barrel down, I just ran it dry. I should make some extra tips though.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A much simpler version of the older hydraulic tracers. They can still be had pretty cheap, but I never had much luck doing light "delicate" work with them. Might just have been my limited experience, or the brand/version used.

I may have to make a little setup like yours. Setting up the taper attachment, machining the radius, blending everything together, it can sure be tedious! Being able to do it all in one shot would be great. I never like the hydraulic tracers so never pursued them any further. This might be a nice way to setup.

I have been meaning to make an air steady rest for some time. Thanks for the pictures and thanks for sharing.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote